( search forums )
optimizing your connection
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
morpheus
January 23, 2004, 11:41 pm
optimizing your connection for top game play performance

ok, this is for the people who are experiencing major problems with connecting to servers, but will work fine for others as well in optimizing your system for game play.

READ THE WHOLE POST AND FOLLOW ALL DIRECTIONS BEFORE POSTING ANY PROBLEMS!

when dealing with tcp/ip transmissions, certain parameters in the windows operating systems can be adjusted to get a better stable connection, as described in this article: http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks/RWIN

this should help you get the best out of your connection, with fewer packet losses, which results in better game play.

notes:

this DOES NOT affect your ping, it only deals with transmissions / retransmissions of packets, ie, packet loss. reduction of packet loss reduces the strain put on both your pc's connection and the remote server's connection, resulting in the use of less bandwidth by both the client and the server, which equals less lag.

to make adjustments (tweak) your settings for game play, download the tcp optimizer from http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe

instructions for BOTH 56k and broadband are as follows:

instructions for tcp optimizer (56k only):

on the bottom right corner, click custom settings.

on the top, check your connection (dsl or cable)

select your adaptor, and select modify all adaptors.

set mtu as 576.

fill in the tcp receive window to either 16348 (low latency) 32696 (normal latency) 65392 (high latency). experiment with all 3 settings and try different servers before posting any problems.

note: 32696 is most widely used for dial up connections.

mtu discovery: yes

black hole detect: no

selective acks: yes

max duplicate acks: 2

ttl: change to 64

windows scaling - checked

timestamps - DEFINITELY unchecked

once you've done all this, reboot and try connecting to a server to see if there's any improvement in lag. THIS WILL NOT AFFECT PING TIMES, it only (possibly) clears up some isssues with dropped and retransmitted packets, which is the main cause of lag, especially on a tcp/ip connection.

NOTE: if the server is buggy, or if the server's connection is poor, or your service providers performance is poor, NO AMOUNT OF TWEAKING CAN HELP. find another server, preferably with a ping of 150 or less for best results.

instructions for tcp optimizer (broadband only):

on the bottom right corner, click custom settings.

on the top, check your connection (dsl or cable)

select your adaptor, and select modify all adaptors.

set mtu as 1500.

fill in the tcp receive window to either 32120 (low latency) 64240 (normal latency) or 128480 (high latency). experiment with all 3 settings and try different servers before posting any problems.

note: my connection is 1.5Mbps down / 128k up and i get best performance using 64240. lower speeds should try 32120 first, while higher speeds should try 128480 first.

mtu discovery: yes

black hole detect: no

selective acks: yes

max duplicate acks: 2

ttl: change to 128

windows scaling - checked

timestamps - DEFINITELY unchecked

once you've done all this, reboot and try connecting to a server to see if there's any improvement in lag. THIS WILL NOT AFFECT PING TIMES, it only (possibly) clears up some isssues with dropped and retransmitted packets, which is the main cause of lag, especially on a tcp/ip connection.

NOTE: if the server is buggy, or if the server's connection is poor, or your service providers performance is poor, NO AMOUNT OF TWEAKING CAN HELP. find another server, preferably with a ping of 150 or less for best results.

for dial up users:

if (after having followed these instructions fully) you're still having probs, go here http://www.speedguide.net/analyzer.php and post your results.

also, go to www.pcpitstop.com and run the bandwidth tests (both upload and download) and post the results, and i'll try to help you make the right adjustments for your particular system.

post pc specs: processor speed, amount of memory, speed of hard disk and video card with specs

for broadband users:

if (after having followed these instructions fully) you're still having probs, go here http://www.speedguide.net/analyzer.php and post your results, plus your *advertised connection speed.

also, go to www.pcpitstop.com and run the bandwidth tests (both upload and download) and post the results. this will help determine if you are getting your *advertised connection speed, and i'll try to help you make the right adjustments for your particular system.

post pc specs: processor speed, amount of memory, speed of hard disk and video card with specs

*advertised connection speed: the speeds your cable/dsl providers advertise. example: 1.5Mbps down / 128k up.

DISCLAIMER: this is only an attempt to help, not a 100% guaranteed solution to your problems. there are to many factors involved for this type of solution to be fool proof (your service provider, your pc, the servers, ping times, latency, etc), but roughly 80% of "tweakers" from both www.speedguide.net and www.dslreports.com report improvement, so it's worth a try.

EDIT:

this was posted in the beta testing forum some time ago, and several of those who tried it out came out with positive results.

MisterX
January 24, 2004, 12:12 am
But please tell me: how should i test the new settings? how to actually test if theres lag? just by feeling?

morpheus
January 24, 2004, 1:15 am
simply put:

try out some servers that you lag on. tweak your settings, restart computer, try the servers again, note any improvements and on which servers you had the improvements.

some servers you'll have improvements on, some you won't. it just depends on the server. but if you at least have improvements on some, then everything worked.

Spitzfiya
January 24, 2004, 1:53 am
WOW awsome post morpheus! MAKE STICKY NOW

Ive used DSL reports before to test my ADSL connection. This will probly help 56kers out a bit

Roy
January 24, 2004, 2:27 am
Thanks... Still can't join the good servers though. WTF.

palloco
January 24, 2004, 9:53 am
I had already tried many optimizers,inlcuded that one, and no1 improves performance

MikeShinoda.pheonix
January 27, 2004, 11:11 pm
thanks morpheus :)

morpheus
January 27, 2004, 11:23 pm
welcome :)

Neo-Vortex
January 28, 2004, 6:18 am
Hmmm, just as a quick little question to DSL users that have 256k down, 64k up, whats the normal lag you get (Shown in the server list) because i get normally 250-350ms for most servers and thats without anything else using the net... is it just me (Crap ISP or somethin) or is it everyone? (BTW, my ISP is iinet, if anyone else is with iinet can you also tell me so i can see if its my computer or if it is iinet...)

frogboy
January 28, 2004, 6:38 am
Yeah, Australians get pings like that...

BT WiLL
March 16, 2004, 3:08 am
Oh that's nice

FroG-BoY
March 16, 2004, 6:51 am
STOP REMINDING ME OF MY OLD ACCOUNT!!!!!!!111

Captain RibMan
March 16, 2004, 7:32 am
you cant escape!
the past is coming back

SanityAssassin
March 26, 2004, 3:32 pm
i think its kidna sad that you have to actually give instructions on almost "how not to lag"..but i guess its for the best...that and im just being a cynical asshole today..so yeah

BLU3_CYCLON3
April 1, 2004, 3:35 am
Will this effect anything else or just my ping for games?Also does this change anything liek give you dsl and have to pay more money or somthing like that?

Element_101
April 1, 2004, 12:19 pm
Poor auzzies we get things bs

no matter how much you tweak 56k its still gonna be very hard to play

MadMoney
April 14, 2004, 11:36 pm
Alot depends on how great the server is...

A.K Fury
May 9, 2004, 7:18 pm
Wow good stuff. Thanks for teh article it helped alot.

Element_101
May 10, 2004, 3:17 am
quote:Originally posted by MadMoney
Alot depends on how great the server is...

You can say that when you have lived down here and played on one of our servers...

DeafBox
May 10, 2004, 3:50 am
Element there are a fair few good servers. iiNet has 2 up, altho down atm, Octain has a dm and ctf server up. [IA] has a DM server and Game Arena has a CTF and DM server.
As for being on dial up, that doesnt mean sh!t. Heaps of ppl manage to play fine with it.

Dathker
May 11, 2004, 2:57 am
hhahah who is that old frogboy?

psyko
June 6, 2004, 8:58 am

quote:Element there are a fair few good servers. iiNet has 2 up, altho down atm, Octain has a dm and ctf server up. [IA] has a DM server and Game Arena has a CTF and DM server.
As for being on dial up, that doesnt mean sh!t. Heaps of ppl manage to play fine with it.

oh really... I got 56k and I can hardly find a server to play on...

the only one I did find, I had a ping of something like 400 and some pretty bad lag....

b00stA
September 3, 2004, 5:29 pm
(moved to Need Help/Bugs)

FliesLikeABrick
September 3, 2004, 7:21 pm
quote:Originally posted by Neo-Vortex
Hmmm, just as a quick little question to DSL users that have 256k down, 64k up, whats the normal lag you get (Shown in the server list) because i get normally 250-350ms for most servers and thats without anything else using the net... is it just me (Crap ISP or somethin) or is it everyone? (BTW, my ISP is iinet, if anyone else is with iinet can you also tell me so i can see if its my computer or if it is iinet...)

the throughput of your connection does not have anything to do with lag unless you plan on downloading/uploading while playing soldat. Lag depends largely on distance (ping times) because electrons only move so fast, and routers across the world only respond so fast and have to deal with traffic etc. These kinds of optimizers only make changes to the registry of your computer, and how it treats information sent and recieved.

edak
September 4, 2004, 11:59 pm
Well I would just like to mention that the speed of electrons has nothing to do with it. They travel @ spped of light which is 300 billion metres per second, many many times around the globe. The lag is caused by all the relays and processing of the data by each relay/router/provider, etc. There just happens to be many more for aussies because the info needs to go a long way all the time and needs to be boosted every so-often. Theoretically this should work as optimising packets = easier processing = faster transmission. Oh, enough with that crap, SOLDAT ROCKS!!

No beer and no Soldat make Edak something something.... (go crazy?)

Deleted User
September 7, 2004, 6:54 pm
If you're not saavy enough to modify all those settings yourself, then try Cyber Tweak (http://www.cybertweak.co.uk/) and just select your connection type. It applies most, if not all, of the tweaks mentioned here automatically, and it doesn't use any resources, nor does it run in the background.

Just my two cents worth.

bonkas
December 1, 2004, 9:28 pm
I live in NZ.. A bit further away from australia.. I am on 56k and I manage to get 66-150 ping on Aus and NZ servers.. I tried those tweaks and didnt notice anything different..

mlt
July 17, 2005, 11:46 pm
I have a problem with my network, or atleast I think it's network related.

I'm running a dedicated public 8-player teammatch server on my secondary PC (3.2GHz P4 / 1G ram with nothing else running on the background), and I have a 10/10mb internet connection (really low ping, connected straigt to ISP's backbone and limited down to 10mb).

Now, I'm running the server and people are complaining about lag and people warping. I also play on my own server often and I noticed the same thing. Sometimes I even get the red indicator on the top-right of the screen (connection problem?). People are really warping and lagging even if the pings look OK (16ms-150ms).

I play with my other computer (3.0GHz P4), and all the computers are on a Gigabit LAN (Router: D-Link DGL-4300).

In server.ini there are some network improvement values, should I change some of these or are those for a slower connections?

What could be wrong, all hardware, network and internet connection is top notch so this seems like a weird problem. Any help?

Deleted User
July 18, 2005, 1:22 pm
I'm not sure entirely what settings you need to change, I'm not too Soldat-network saavy, but I do know that ping is very difference from latency in the terms of the gaming world.

I could have a great ping but suffer horrible latency(lag).

Deleted User
August 4, 2005, 9:06 pm
My connection is 44k at best and i can play games fine.. thats the advantage of soldat, low graphics help the gameplay to be closer with different conections. I check ping rate and go for the highest number of about 400+ generally i dont do 2 bad lag wise.

apc300
April 10, 2006, 8:05 pm
how can i stop soldat lagging when i have msn running?, cos it dosent lag when msn is closed, do i need to change a port, and if so, which port and where do i change it? plz help, cos i havent played soldat for ages cos of this reason

edak
April 25, 2006, 10:26 pm
please dont revive old topics and either search for the answer or make a NEW thread