( search forums )
Soldat Community Project (Was: Soldat->OpenGL/C++)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Deleted User
November 2, 2004, 8:27 pm
I know this subject is rather "taboo" and it's not something to be taken lightly, but I've been learning C++ and OpenGL programming here lately, and the idea occured to me that Soldat could really use an OpenGL port.

This is more directed at Michal and the higher-ups of the board, but if you're interested in the idea, I'd be more than happy to help. The general idea is to get Soldat working and stable with OpenGL, providing a basic and easy to port graphic system, and since C/C++ works so well with OpenGL, it's obviously the best choice for task.

We'd need to look into a new type of input, since I don't believe DirectInput is supported "cross-platform".

As for the fonts, I would recommend a bitmap or truevision targa (tga) format so that the game could be easily translated by simply changing a picture or two. I imagine this would work best for the "in-game" text, with a simple ANSI document for the menus and the like. Perhaps we could develop a plugin system for it all? The only real problem I could imagine would be setting up raster coordinates(?), so that the in-game menus would be easy to operate. That shouldn't be too hard, I imagine.

Obviously the most difficult part would be the physics of the soldiers and weaponry. That would be the most time consuming part of porting it over, I imagine.

The basic terrain would be very easy to implement using vertex arrays(?) since they're simple triangles. Of course, if back-face culling were required (or something similar), we might have to look into a different method for that.

Anyway, I have a lot of ideas brewing, and like I said, if you're interested, I'd be happy to help. The chance to port such a wonderful game over would give me the coding experience I need, and it would give Linux users a chance to breathe in all the glory that is Soldat.

If you need to contact me off the boards, then email me at siriusterran@gmail.com

N1nj@
November 2, 2004, 8:57 pm
If I remember correctly, there are few people like Ardaen who wanted Michal to change the coding language but all weren't successful

Magniitude
November 2, 2004, 9:04 pm
I have no idea what you are saying, but are you trying to convert Soldat into 3-D? I like the graphics as it is.

Deleted User
November 2, 2004, 9:08 pm
Magniitude, this is not about making Soldat 3d, they just want to convert the Delphi coding into another coding language which can be used on Linux..right?

N1nj@
November 2, 2004, 9:25 pm
which is also easier to implement/modify things..

IMHO, i think delphi sux =D

Deleted User
November 2, 2004, 10:55 pm
Soldat will stay the same, we'll just be porting it over to a platform-independent base. DirectX is Windows-specific and thus is only usable on Windows-based PC's. Using OpenGL, Soldat can easily be ported to any OS with support for most video cards. It could also mean that Soldat's expandability and functionality could be increased, providing plugins for modular graphics, sounds, and even new texture sets, as well as higher resolutions and overall, just a more effecient Soldat.

Michal has done amazing work, and I must congratulate him on doing so much with so little. I just hope that we'll be able to port Soldat over so Linux users can enjoy all that Soldat has to offer.

BManx2000
November 2, 2004, 11:01 pm
It's not happening unless Michal releases the source code, which he won't for the forseeable future.

n00bface
November 2, 2004, 11:10 pm
TBH, I think Soldat is ported easy enough to other OSes (such as Linux, using wine (it's free)). You can still program in delphi with OpenGL, but it is harder for many reasons; way more programming and there are no (good) libraries for OpenGL in Delphi. I'm also very sure that Michal would not convert to C++ for even more reasons (mainly the work, he is just 1 man). This would also mean he would have to recode (nearly) all of Soldat, which I am absolutely sure he does not have time for.

Magniitude
November 3, 2004, 12:05 am
Sorry. i had no idea what he meant. Not big of a comp person.

Elephant_Hunter
November 3, 2004, 1:48 am
This is a great idea, but unfourtunately Michal isn't planning on making the game opensource anytime soon. People can (and will) exploit bugs they find. You might PM him if you think you could do the majority of the conversion to openGL.

Check out openMapper if you want some example rendering code.

Dathker
November 3, 2004, 2:38 am
don't people haxx0r with open GL... and and whats the difference?

Elephant_Hunter
November 3, 2004, 3:04 am
No offence Dathker, but can you read? This guy posted a good description of the advantages to openGL, I suggest that you skim through it.

Lapis_Lazuli, you might have an easier time explaining (and enlighten our less aware forumers) if you used a bullet list and linked to some example openGL games. I know Serious Sam was a really good one, name off a few others.

Deleted User
November 3, 2004, 3:14 am
OpenGL is like DirectX in many ways, but let me put it like this:

You buy a PC game that only uses DirectX. You sit down to play it on your Windows machine, and it works fine.
You tell your buddy about this game, and he buys it, but he has Linux or a Mac. He CAN'T play this game because DirectX is Windows-only.

Now, if you buy a game that uses DirectX -OR- OpenGL, you can sit down and play it on Windows, and your buddy can play the game too.

OpenGL and DirectX are basically just packages of pre-written code that make it easier for developers. When that code isn't present, things don't work. That is why so many Linux users want Soldat in OpenGL - So that Soldat can be played on any machine, anywhere.

EDIT: At Elephant Hunter's request, here's a list of some OpenGL games:

American McGee's Alice in Wonderland:
[URL]

Call of Duty:
[URL]

Doom 3
[URL]

And to help you get a better understanding of OpenGL, here are a few sites:

OpenGL.org
[URL]

NeHe (has a huge list of OpenGL tutorials and demos, as well as games in progress)
http://nehe.gamedev.net/

BManx2000
November 3, 2004, 3:16 am
quote:Originally posted by BManx2000It's not happening unless Michal releases the source code, which he won't for the forseeable future.

SigHunter
November 3, 2004, 12:04 pm
do ya guys know transport tycoon deluxe?
some guys made a c++ version of it which
they develope now and they are doing very
well, many new features and so on.. the game
just looks like before because they use the
old graphics, just new engine.. as far as i
know they havent got any source code from
the coder (chris sawyer)

b00stA
November 3, 2004, 3:07 pm
DirectX is NOT the same as Direct3D.
DirectX is a complete set.. Direct3D, DirectDraw, DirectInput, DirectSound and some other things..

You listed Doom 3 as an OpenGL game. It does use OpenGL for the graphics, but other things are handled by DirectX. That's why the linux port of it needed some time to be finished. They had to translate whatever DirectX components they were using to a linux alternative.
I just don't see the port happening by Michal doing that himself. Just like he won't release the source in the near future.

Social Poison
November 3, 2004, 10:23 pm
Doom 3 has a linux port? Right on.

And as far as this topic, I'm 95% sure it won't happen. Michael is (rightfully so) very protective of his source code. I doubt he's going to change over just so Linux users can run the game without an emulator. Besides... every linux user I know dual boots Win XP and their favorite linux build anyways... :P . Oh and Apple users are just wierd.

*runs away from teh elitists*

grand_diablo
November 3, 2004, 10:37 pm
I actually support this idea. If Michal agrees to that (which will the "to be or not to be" question), the sourcecode should be kept secret, only available to those who work on it, so it neednt be opensource (and it hopefully never will be).

I do not know too much of coding, as I only recently started learning an exotic programming language called "ProfanĀ²" ("XProfan 8" in its newest version). Although I can only code some small, TXT-exporting tools by now and have never used any graphics library so far, all the reasons Lapis Lazuli gave, sound good and make it definitely worth a try. Maybe not with LL himself, cause I don't know if Michal would trust you enough to give out the Soldat source, but the idea itself is great.

Deleted User
November 4, 2004, 2:09 am
Thank you for correcting me, b00stA. I don't want to confuse anyone.

I've started talking to Michal, but I won't post anything of our talks for obvious reasons.

EDIT: At least until we get everything figured out and settled.

Ardaen
November 4, 2004, 8:42 am
Ooo, someone said my name..

Now seriously, if your gonna goto all that trouble, why limit yourself? I think one of the issues Michal has had in implimenting certain features is he figures he'd have to rewrite much of the engine.

If your gonna re-write the entire thing, make sure to plan it out carefully. There are things about soldat that could be improved, for example, is it good that it only supports triangles?

bb_vb
November 4, 2004, 9:19 am
quote:Originally posted by Ardaen

If your gonna re-write the entire thing, make sure to plan it out carefully. There are things about soldat that could be improved, for example, is it good that it only supports triangles?

It makes little difference whether it uses triangles, as any other shapes are ultimatly converted to them anyway (are they not?), and they are the fastest rendered primitaves. But you are damn right in that a new engine would be extremely good, and should be thought out very carefully.

One thing that would be good, is for SHARED VERTICES, where each polygon has a reference to 3 vertices from a big list of all the vertices, instead of it's own ones. That way adjacent polys could be connected by a common vertex, thus eliminating poly bugs and allowing for cool things like lighting ;)

Best of luck with it Lapis_Lazuli.

Ardaen
November 4, 2004, 10:08 am
quote:It makes little difference whether it uses triangles, as any other shapes are ultimatly converted to them anyway (are they not?), and they are the fastest rendered primitaves. But you are damn right in that a new engine would be extremely good, and should be thought out very carefully.

I don't really care whats the fastest, or if at some point in the hardware or software it has to be converted to triangles. Thats not hard to do, although you shouldn't have to worry about it with these nice pretty interfaces we have. I mean come on, its a 2d game! Using the technologies generally related with 3d shouldn't limit what it can do, they should only increase proformance.

What I care about is how the game views the terrain. I'm tired of problems like slipping between two triangles and getting stuck in the ground. It would be nice if the engine could recognize what was connected to what. There are many side benefits, such as implimenting more dynamic terrain could be easier, and the map editor... easier editing, convex polygons, without having to store or lose the extra data.

Tired now, sleep now, talk good later.

Element_101
November 4, 2004, 10:13 am
OpenGL's graphics are not a hudge step up from Direct3D but there obvioulsy a step in the right direction.

Droopy
November 4, 2004, 10:21 am
I got to BManX2000's second post till I gave up.

But I also got an idea on a new sigy! yay

(yes! This is spam! DELETE)

grand_diablo
November 4, 2004, 3:32 pm
yay Lapis, go for it :D

Deleted User
November 4, 2004, 6:42 pm
The shared vertices is a good idea, and would make map-making a great deal easier, but I think that would be best put into the map maker itself, right?

I've come across the idea that, if we implement the shared vertices idea into the game, then perhaps we could create something of a random-map maker? For example:

Let's say you want to make maps using a simple template. Well, you could make one by hand and modify it each time, but what if Soldat could make them on the fly?

You could draw a mask in paint composed of black and white colors: Black being empty space, white being the terrain. Using something of a height-map system and a bit of randomization, Soldat could generate a new map every time you load that mask. The user could specify just how much randomization would be done, and there'd be no real limit to the possibilities. Making an array of these masks, ranging from hills, valleys, caves, all sorts of structures, would be as easy as opening paint and letting yourself go.

If any of you have played Liero or Worms, then you have an idea of what I'm getting at.

Obviously, getting Soldat to work on a different code base is our first priority, and along the way, there are hundreds of new possibilities to be looked into. Perhaps we could create a list of improvements or advancements and suggestions that the community has?

Here are a few ideas just off the top of my head:
+ "Plugin" system similar to the interface selection, you just choose a pack of graphics/sounds/gosteks/weapons (edited through the weapon editor), and play.
+ Particle effects? Smoke, bullet trails, blood; map-makers could put fire, lava, and water effects in their maps, or even the possibility of shaders?

These are just ideas, and obviously, it will all be up to Michal, as its his game, and we don't want to ruin the simplicity of Soldat, but I think that if we do rewrite the game, then there will be all kinds of possibilities for improvement, and fewer cheaters as well, since a new system would mean all new code.

SigHunter
November 4, 2004, 8:17 pm
but most of the generated worms maps are just [IMAGE]ed up and damn confusing -> dont support this idea, sry

Deleted User
November 4, 2004, 8:33 pm
That's fine. We're all here to share ideas, after all.

N1nj@
November 4, 2004, 8:56 pm
yay! i got ardaen to post here! w00t

lol

BManx2000
November 4, 2004, 10:57 pm
quote:Originally posted by SigHunterbut most of the generated worms maps are just [IMAGE]ed up and damn confusing

Not for me, on PS1 worms armageddon version anyway.

Dathker
November 5, 2004, 1:06 am
i still don't get whats so great about open gl, except that its used for haxage on cs

Deleted User
November 5, 2004, 2:45 am
OpenGL is widely platform-independent. Windows PC's, Macs, and Linux users can all use it without having to use an emulator.

It's also integrated into most graphic drivers today, and it's a very effecient graphics library that suits Soldat perfectly.

bb_vb
November 5, 2004, 4:26 am
quote:Originally posted by Lapis_Lazuli
I've come across the idea that, if we implement the shared vertices idea into the game, then perhaps we could create something of a random-map maker?

Brilliant idea, except I don't quite follow your explanation of how it works with the bitmap mask. Do you mean a 1 dimensional line of pixels where the colour determines the height of the terrain at that position along the map? That's the only way I can interpret it, but if it's not like that then a more in depth explanation would be sweet.

quote:Obviously, getting Soldat to work on a different code base is our first priority, and along the way, there are hundreds of new possibilities to be looked into. Perhaps we could create a list of improvements or advancements and suggestions that the community has?

Here are a few ideas just off the top of my head:
+ "Plugin" system similar to the interface selection, you just choose a pack of graphics/sounds/gosteks/weapons (edited through the weapon editor), and play.
+ Particle effects? Smoke, bullet trails, blood; map-makers could put fire, lava, and water effects in their maps, or even the possibility of shaders?

More great ideas, especially the particle effects, which I would be happy to help with if needed as I have some experience with them.

And one more idea I have, PHYSICS. Allow objects to be created which interact with the terrain, bullets and players, and fall with gravity. Imagine crates you could shoot around or hide behind, or bridges that actually swayed as players walked over them and could break in game. There would be so many possibilities with object physics in the game. Just look at HL2 (videos), physics = goodness.

Deleted User
November 5, 2004, 4:44 am
bb_vb:

Imagine cutting a hole into a piece of paper.

Anything you can see through is empty, and anything you -can't- is terrain.

So you were right, it's sort of like a one-pixel heightmap.

As for the physics, that sounds like a good idea. I've always loved Painkiller's physics (actually -existing- in the world, knocking chairs over and pushing boards), but any additions will have to go through Michal.

n00bface
November 5, 2004, 7:08 am
quote:Originally posted by Dathkeri still don't get whats so great about open gl, except that its used for haxage on cs

You are the most retarded person on these forums, offense intended. I'm also going to guess that you were one of the people that had a spaz when Tank posted his 'hack' on the forums. OpenGL is _not_ used for hacking in Counter Strike. People have made things which modify OpenGL in counter strike to get the transparent wall effect. People can do this with any game, you are just too stupid to understand what open GL is. It's not going to hurt soldat if people could see through walls -- you can do that with directX as well, but obviously no one was stupid enough to make such a useless hack. I wouldn't even call that a hack, just an 'experiment' with directx.

I also think it's stupid that michal is supposedly remaking soldat so a few lazy linux users who don't want to go through the tough time opening up a windows application with Wine (a free and simple application). If he really wants to make it simpler for Linux users then it would be one thousand times easier to simply change a few things to be slightly more compatible with wine, rather than go through the trouble of rewriting 20,000 lines of code.

Who the [IMAGE] uses Linux on their gaming machines?

palloco
November 5, 2004, 12:12 pm
quote:Originally posted by n00bfaceWho the [IMAGE] uses Linux on their gaming machines?

/me hands up

Michal Marcinkowski
November 5, 2004, 12:13 pm
I think it would be a good idea to make a Soldat engine like this with all the things that Soldat doesn't have now (like easy modification system). With an engine like this people could make their own 2d multiplayer shooters. I'm not going to help you in actual writing of the code because I have other things to do. However I can help you in any other way, I can tell you how I made the physics, networking, blablabla. Maybe you can make the project opensource so people can help you. So you'll have support if you start this project, good luck!

Icarius
November 5, 2004, 5:40 pm
Yeah, but if he makes it better than Soldat, what's going to happen to this then Michal ?! ;)

It would be cool if someone made 3D player models rather than 2D models with a little more customizable-ness..... that would make for some interesting effects in the future....

i am ahab
November 5, 2004, 5:55 pm
gj lapis, good luck. i looked into doing something like this myself. thought about going with c++ and a multi platform (that means linux aswell just like openGL! - for the benefit of dathkar ;) ) networking protocal called RakNet which ive got a freeware licence for if yr interested? it comes with a load of examples and supported forums to show u how it goes... its bloody quick.
wrt the graphics frontend i got as far as SDL ,which is a sort of implementation of openGL but could never really get the time to have a good play with anything, but i thought it was all totally feasable....
i'd like to keep up to date with how you get on with this dude....

Deleted User
November 5, 2004, 6:12 pm
I'm glad I have your approval, Michal! I can't thank you enough.

RakNet sounds fairly interesting, i_am_ahab. Are there any downsides to it? I mean, is it a proprietary protocol, or anything like that?

I'll start the project here in about two weeks or so. Right now I'm getting all my references together and writing the overall program chart and the like, but if anyone has any suggestions, feel free to let me know.

I'll probably be using the following packages:

C++ for the code-base
OpenGL for the graphics library
OpenAL possibly, to widely support sound effects and music playback

The idea of a 3D player model sounds interesting, but what if we just raised the resolution of the current ones? In essence, adding more detail for better 'skinning'. I just don't think 3D is something that belongs in Soldat, but hey, I could be wrong.

Any suggestions, comments or questions are welcome.

FliesLikeABrick
November 6, 2004, 12:10 am
I like this idea and I understand what OpenGL has to offer. I would offer my help but unfortunately I am very busy with some private projects as well as school work.

In addition, Dathker, just keep to yourself when wanting to comment on that which you do not understand.

edit: :Lapis, if you could IM or MSN me, I have a couple questions for you about some C++ code that I am working on. AIM/MSN FliesLikeABrick/flieslikeabrick@hotmail.com I was going to PM or e-mail you but you have no contact info on the forum

Deleted User
November 6, 2004, 2:21 am
Thanks for the understanding, FliesLikeABrick. I'm sorry that you can't help, but its the thought that counts.

You have all the glory and power of the internet at your fingertips, Dathker. Google is your friend when needing an explanation on something.

Message sent, FliesLikeABrick. I've contacted your e-mail account.

bb_vb
November 6, 2004, 5:35 am
That's great that this has your support Michal, thanks from me too.

I would be extremely interested in getting involved with this, especially as I have holidays coming up and I will have tonnes of free time. I think making it open source would also be a very good idea.

Also, another idea for the engine, SCRIPTED EVENTS. Things like triggers and the like in maps that could run scripts to do things in the gameplay. It would mostly be good for single player type games but could also be beneficial to multiplayer. Allowing scripts to access things like physics and bot AI would mean almost endless possibilities.

And on the idea of 3D models for players, i can see both that idea and higher resolution skins being equally good. 3D models would allow for some extra things like the possibility of cell shading, but I think one main thing that both would allow is running the game in different screen resolutions, which would rule.

Deleted User
November 8, 2004, 8:52 pm
bb_vb:

Those scripted events sound rather interesting. Perhaps we could use them to form things like doors, elevators, and all kinds of things. Maybe even implementing a sort of capture the point mode, where two/three/four teams would fight over control of positions on a map.

I was pondering over the idea of adding a mode somewhat similar to Enemy Territory. With scripted events, players could choose a specific class(Medic, Engineer, Soldier, etc.) and they'd have to work together to accomplish their goals. This could be anything from stealing a document to demolishing/creating a structure.

Any ideas?

i am ahab
November 9, 2004, 11:14 pm
hey mate,
sry i havnt replied sooner ive been away...
lol elevators... i admire yr enthusiasm but lets not run before we can walk hey!
ill pm u my email if you get in touch ill give you more details about my experiences with raknet. and sdl which you should look into. its an extra layer onto opengl, handles lots of things for you. could be handy for the learning curve..
what flavours of linux are you intending/able to develop on?
myself i typically use red hat 9 [the enemy ;) ] at home and also sometimes fedora core 1.
ill be in touch...

whoops i cant pm u ;o
pm me instead and ill mail u! or u can mail my hotmail at nickw105@hotmail.com but its not my real account...

Ymies
November 11, 2004, 4:06 pm
I'd say there's nothing that should be made better, but the netcode

SigHunter
November 11, 2004, 4:37 pm
yay indeed. i love soldat how it is the only
realy anoying thing is the [IMAGE]edup netcode :X

Deleted User
November 11, 2004, 5:15 pm
The netcode is definitely going to be improved.

I've taken a few looks at Rakkarsoft's RakNet technology, and from just a precursory glance, it seems like it would be perfect for Soldat, and it can handle large amounts of traffic at great speeds.

Though I suppose I should clarify, Soldat is Michal's work. He spent well over three years working on Soldat and making it into what he and the community thought it should be. I, for one, am honored to play such a great game, especially one that's made by only one man. That takes a lot of technical knowhow and the will to succeed.

This project here, for all good terms and the like, can NOT be considered as a replacement for Soldat. It will probably be a long while before there is even a playable beta out, and there is so much work to be done. My goal here is to create something that captures the essence of Soldat; Fast-paced, high-action 2D multiplayer action, and at the very least, get all the kinks out of it. Of course, if we can make it more enjoyable, more moddable, or what-have-you, then we've done our job too.

I appreciate your comments, Ymies and SigHunter. I want the community to be a real part of this project, and hopefully it can be something that we'll all have a hand in, at some time or another, which is why I'm so open to suggestions here. I want to hear your thoughts and your ideas. What do you think should be better? What features do you want/not want in Soldat that I could apply here?

I don't want to take sole credit for this project, and with the help I'm recieving now from two very talented people (i am ahab and bb_vb), I think we can give this community what it wants, without sacrificing gameplay.

Hopefully, this will be something created by the community -for- the community.

As I said, I'm open to any ideas or suggestions, now matter how big or small. I'm also looking for any graphic designers. I may have a little contest here soon to see who can give me the best concept art, since we'll be needing all kinds of artwork for the game.

If you want to get ahead of everyone else, we need a basic overview of what Soldat has. Graphics for a GUI, HUD, Weapons, Soldats, and textures for the Terrain. I don't want to STEAL any graphics from Soldat, so if you think you're up to the job, then post your ideas here.

Thanks in advance!

Aquarius
November 11, 2004, 6:54 pm
Will it be open source or freeware or what?

What we need is better map file format, I have some ideas, to much to write now :)

Deleted User
November 11, 2004, 7:28 pm
I am a strong supporter of Open Source software. It's the best thing to happen to programming since, well, ever.

However, providing a game of this type as Open Source has a few setbacks, mainly, the fact that once everyone can see the code, then it's a hundred times easier for hacks to surface, and we've all seen how bad that can be. I suppose it will be decided sometime later.

There are a lot of improvements possible for the map file format. Feel free to post any ideas you have, Aquarius.

The project will definitely be freeware. I can't see anyone charging people to play something their efforts, hopes, and dreams went into, can you?

palloco
November 11, 2004, 9:07 pm
"then it's a hundred times easier for hacks to surface"

It is also a hundred times easier for people to get rid of hacks, we can all collaborate at patching that. But I suggest that the anti-cheats should be an appart module, so there would be less lag in game without it. People that play in private servers will greatly appreciate it.

I am willing to collaborate if it becomes open source. I dont have much time to program but I can check for possible bugs, code errors and possible improvements in the source.

Deleted User
November 11, 2004, 9:14 pm
See? This is why I want this to be so open.

I am glad that you've given me your insight, palloco. The idea of an open-source anti-cheat development sounds.. interesting.

The main goal of our project is expandability and functionality across all platforms. Imagine if you could change the entire way the game looked just by switching graphic packs. No messy folder editing, no mod-loaders required. You could just swap new packages in and out, seamlessly and effectively. Dropping in new sounds, or adding in a new set of gosteks.

The more I think about it, the more the idea of making this project Open Source appeals to me. Which, by the way, is why I changed the title of the topic.

It quite literally, is the Soldat Community Project.

SigHunter
November 11, 2004, 9:24 pm
mh.. well.. what about the features of the registered version... u think u will implement any things there or
will it be like before registrered? will there be any specials for registered people? (i myself registered...)

what do u think u can change if u recode it? u cant add anything new because the game itself will still be based upon the
game what it is now... it will just be another client.. if u want to call it like that.

ofcourse the hackprot must be implemented. what would be good is: it should be able to handle more
maps faster.. because i leeched a pack.. dunno what it was.. the thingy with 400 maps and my menue laaaags like hell
it is damn slow... i already deleted some but it didnt get better :D and it become even more maps
since there is the autodownload feature.

i dont think opensource is good for this project.. although there should be a sdk (source developement kit)
for modders.. ofcourse it will take much time.. realy a lot to have playable alpha versions or even betas.
but this is imho the only way to realize it. there will be enough [IMAGE]ed up people *cough* *censored* *cough*
who will be able to hack it especially when it is open source...

mmh related to the registration thing... freeware... or smth.. if it would be freeware.. noone would be supposed
to buy it.. michal wouldnt make anymoney...
and ofcourse.. only give any code to REALY trustable persons... like michal did.. nobody has any code
or will get any. theres too much risk of hacking. we shouldnt make hacking even more easy...

thats it for now.. if i could i would support this project.. but im not able to programm in any case...
if i can do something (like betatesting on linux or something) i would be honnored :D

Deleted User
November 11, 2004, 9:29 pm
I think I see where you're coming from, SigHunter, and thank you for your thoughts!

However, to help clear up some things, Michal has Soldat. We're making something similar to Soldat, with all the features that we've wanted for a long, long time. By no means do I want to take any of you away from Michal or the wonderful game he's created.

I understand your fears about the project being open source, and it will really be up in the air for quite awhile in that aspect. But like all things, the time for change will eventually come around.

I don't think anyone who's part of this project will want to charge for it. Since it's going to be a community project, handling all the money would be a hassle. Besides, since everyone is going to be having a hand in the work, would it be right to charge them for the end result?

I support Freeware, and I think that open source would be the -best- path for this to take, but I'm always open for suggestions.

SigHunter
November 11, 2004, 9:58 pm
hm maybe i dont understand u...
do u want to code a completely new game which isnt based on soldat anymore
or do u want to code a c++ version which is compatible to the normal servers
and so on?

bb_vb
November 12, 2004, 1:09 am
quote:Originally posted by palloco
It is also a hundred times easier for people to get rid of hacks, we can all collaborate at patching that. But I suggest that the anti-cheats should be an appart module, so there would be less lag in game without it. People that play in private servers will greatly appreciate it.

I agree with that. I reckon being open source would mean eventually it could become extremely difficult to hack, as there would be so many people contributing to patches all the time, and bugs could even be fixed before hacks are made to exploit them.

And the concept of being able to turn off anti-cheat code sounds extremely good to me too, nice idea.

The way I see this project at the moment, we are aiming to build a very dynamic ENGINE, which is based on the current Soldat, but could later be used to create ANY sort of game anyone wanted in the same style as Soldat. That means once the engine is finished, the first game could be a Soldat clone, and it could be made just like the current Soldat, but on the new engine. Then completely different games could be made. Single player games, team based games, alien games, you name it.

But one thing I think we should think about is whether we want to make the engine completely separate to any games, and then build individual games later on top of it, where each game is completely 'on its own' and loaded from its own files etc, OR whether we make the engine with a Soldat clone on top of it, and then to play different games you play MODS, just like Half-Life. Atm I think the mod idea would be better.

Thoughts?

Deleted User
November 12, 2004, 6:48 am
I agree, bb_vb. I wholeheartedly agree.

This is not Soldat. It's a brand new monster, one that you can suit to your tastes.

pongo
November 12, 2004, 11:43 am
What IDE you will use?

Deleted User
November 12, 2004, 3:51 pm
Sorry for the short post earlier. I had little time to elaborate.

I agree whole-heartedly with bb_vb's ideas here. You've got a lot of interesting points, and many that need discussion.

I think, that if we go with the plugin system, our game just wouldn't be a Soldat clone. Our game could be anything. Much like you stated, as with Half-Life, you simply load a plugin (mod) and it can completely change the game. The ability to turn the anti-cheat code is also a good idea, since some servers like to have that sort of thing.

Essentially, just imagine this as YOUR Soldat, the way YOU want it to be.

As for an IDE, pongo,.. I want to stay away from as many "prepackaged" SDL's/IDE's/etc. simply because I want this to be -our- project. I don't want everyone to have to go out and learn a new SDL just to create a plugin or pack here. Eventually, we may look into something useful for that effect, and it may sound rather hard, but I think I'd like for this to all be coded on its own (minus the netcode, of course). This will give us greater control of what exactly goes in and what DOESN'T get put into our work. This also means that the software would be a lot less bloated, more streamlined, and overall, just more effecient.

I understand the advantages of using prewritten code, and I've been toying with the idea of using some myself, but I'd really just like this to be simple, C++ and OpenGL.

pongo
November 12, 2004, 4:30 pm
But you didnt answer on my question. Or not?

(Bordand C++ Builder, Bordal C++, VC++, Visual Studio etc)

grand_diablo
November 12, 2004, 5:01 pm
Nah, I like the idea of remaking original Soldat in another programming language, than the one of a completely new game. Especially the idea of classes (medic,..) is one I dont like. I think those arent needed, people can choose their position in Soldat too, without being restricted in any way. They just choose the weapon that fits their style best.

I think, before weh should start to seriously discuss new gamemodes, classes and stuff, we should have a running, safe and stable remake of Soldat the way its now.

Deleted User
November 12, 2004, 5:11 pm
Oh, my apologies, pongo.

The tool's we use are probably going to be Borland Tools' 5.5 Command line utilities, simply because they're free, and they're a widely support compiler.

As for writing the code.. well, for the moment, all I have is notepad. DevCPP poses problems on my PC, and so I can't use it.

I agree with you, grand_diablo. Obviously, our main goal is to get the game working. Then we can start adding in new features.

SigHunter
November 12, 2004, 7:44 pm
i am in the opionion of dibo -.-

palloco
November 12, 2004, 7:45 pm
IDE does not really matter. A nice tool I use for everything is pspad. As for compiling that would depend on OS, but obviously in Linux gcc is the tool, dunno about opengl.

bb_vb
November 13, 2004, 12:22 am
I use DevCPP, but it shouldn't really matter that much, as palloco said.

In reply to grand_diablo's thoughts, I know where you're coming from, but atm I think it's not about getting the 'game' working, but getting the 'engine' working. It's all about the engine. Once the engine is working, remaking Soldat 'should' be dead simple. And the thing is, so would making any other game on it. What is probly the best idea is to make the primary game the Soldat clone, and use this to get the engine working, essentially to test it. We could make it along with the engine. Once that's all working then it won't be any more effort to make new games, because the engine should allow for that already. We can just make mods to our heart's content ;)

Now, anyone up for a website for this thing? I think we'll definetly be needing one of some sort.

Deleted User
November 13, 2004, 12:40 am
Yeah, we'll need a website of some sort. I suppose I can try putting an application in at X3 hosting or something.

I certainly don't recommend Freewebs. That's for damn sure.

n00bface
November 13, 2004, 3:04 am
I'm sure either me or FliesLikeABrick could host / make a website :O You could ask some people at nethounds.org to make a layout as well.

Deleted User
November 13, 2004, 4:04 pm
We may have to take you up on your offer, n00bface.

I sent FliesLikeABrick an email quite awhile back but I havn't heard anything from him. I suppose I'll give him a PM.

Deleted User
November 13, 2004, 4:08 pm
i can host for you, i never get any trafic so you wont have any bandwidth problems, or should have anyway

Deleted User
November 14, 2004, 2:15 am
Thank you for the offer, Wassow. I'm glad there are people who are willing to help!

I'd like to put a name to our work, rather than just calling it.. "our work". I've recieved a few suggestions, and here's what I have so far. Feel free to post any suggestions, just keep in mind that we're working moreso on an ENGINE here. The debut game will be a cross-platform, fully-featured version of Soldat.

+ Uber Soldat (Super Soldier)
+ Soldat CP (Soldat Cross-Platform/Community Project)
+ Soldat MOS (Multiple/Multi-Operating System)
+ OpenSoldat (Thanks to Pongo)

Apage43
November 14, 2004, 5:10 am
SDL!
http://www.libsdl.org/
It's like, an abstraction layer to different graphic APIs on different OSes, In otherwords, more like a crossplatform DirectX, it handles input, net, grahpics, and sound.

It's used by UT2k3 and UT2k4

Apage43
November 14, 2004, 5:16 am
... Also
http://box43.net/
:D
And perhaps a 3D player model would be easier to actually work with than a non3d... with IK, anyway. Seems easier in my head, than having to figure out how to draw it...

pongo
November 14, 2004, 12:08 pm
+ openSoldat

Pathos
November 15, 2004, 1:17 am
Just some thoughts...

Open source + Hacker protection ?????
When you've got code you can build your own version of the program with any modifications you want, you don't need to hack it!!!
The only reason Soldat is so secure is because it is in a single software package, even an SDK would be bad.

The only way to securely add extra functionality is throught a closed scripting language (e.g. one that can't implement external dll's).

I don't know why you don't know why you don't make a different game anyway. Your project will always be overshadowed by the original, while, a more individual project could result in a following like Soldat.

Deleted User
November 15, 2004, 1:47 am
I thank you for your contribution, Pathos, and I gladly welcome any and all opinions or suggestions.

Let me just clarify a few things here.

First of all, our project is not -just- to remake Soldat. We're not -just- making the game over again. Our goal here is to create a 2D, side-view game engine with multiplayer support and limitless functionality.

Secondly, the debut game for our project will be a game LIKE Soldat. Sort of how all the Quake series are representations of what their systems can do, our first game will show everyone just what our project is capable of.

Third, imagine something like Half-Life here for a second. Half-Life's moddability is amazing compared to most other games. All a player has to do is load a mod or plugin, and the ENTIRE game can be changed, in the blink of an eye. We want to include a system like that in our engine to provide that same functionality, to both players and modders alike.

And lastly, I don't want to rival Soldat. I couldn't, honestly, draw away a community from a single man who's put so much work into a game that thousands enjoy. It is not my goal, nor the goal of anyone in this group, to compare to Soldat. Ours is a completely different beast altogether, and Soldat will always hold a place here, plain and simple. The only sort of following I can see our system taking is that of Linux users who can't get Soldat to work on their machine.

palloco
November 15, 2004, 11:16 am
Pathos, since this seems to become an open source project with an appart module of anticheating you can make another version of this module but without giving the source and then we will check what is more secure

3rd_account
November 15, 2004, 11:20 am
The idea of making Soldat multi platform, mega customizable, with improved network coding etc. is a really great thing to do.

But... with open source, the risk of hackers being on basicly every server would be to great. And no mather how good the game would be, it would still not be worth it, in my opinion...

Deleted User
November 16, 2004, 2:37 am
What if the anti-hack protection module -wasn't- open-source? The rest of the game would still be modifiable, and everyone would be free to make their own sets of anti-hack protection rules.

Does that sound good?

3rd_account
November 16, 2004, 12:51 pm
Well.. yes, it would be good.

diediedie119
November 18, 2004, 7:36 am
yeah it would be cool and heres a name for the project you might want to use: MeGa Soldat
i sugest we use nprotect gameguard it is a good anti-hack and you can if you want to make an option that you can turn it off this is just a suggustion
oh and it will be cool if the madels are 3d
i got this program that can draw in 3d just tell me what to do ok???? quote:
Third, imagine something like Half-Life here for a second. Half-Life's moddability is amazing compared to most other games. All a player has to do is load a mod or plugin, and the ENTIRE game can be changed, in the blink of an eye. We want to include a system like that in our engine to provide that same functionality, to both players and modders alike.
nice it would be cool if you could make it like Half-Life
i'll be grateful if i can help

Deleted User
November 19, 2004, 2:03 am
diediedie119:

The idea of 3D models is interesting, diediedie119, and if you feel so inclined, feel free to play around a bit and see what you can do. However, I think that we'll try to stick as close to the original as possible (graphics wise), and have 3D models as an option.

I've written up the basic game logic, and I'll post it all here for everyone to see:

|Core Components
|Game Logic
|Graphics
|Sound
|Controller Input
|Physics
|User Interface
|Computer AI
|Multi-Player Mode
|Peer-2-Peer and/or Server-Client

Core Components: Game Logic
The game logic is the basic ruleset. A match full of player characters, guns, terrain, and activity. Players basically try to kill each other without delay and keep alive themselves, while accomplishing goals such as capturing a flag, getting a high score, or holding a position. Pending Gametypes include:

+ Deathmatch : Players kill each other for points.
+ Capture the Flag : Two/Three/Four teams try to capture each other's flags and bring them back to base.
+ Retrieval (Infiltration) : One team tries to retrieve an objective (flag, documents, etc) and the other defends.
+ Pointmatch : Players kill each other for points, gaining more points for carrying a special flag and getting multiple kills. Teams would also be possible.
+ Rambomatch : Players fight over control of Rambo's bow.
+ Teammatch : Deathmatch with Two/Three/Four teams of players, killing each other for points for their team.
+ (Possible)Race : Players race to reach the finish-line of specially designed maps. Variations might include such things as multiple teams, where players would carry a single flag for their team and they would be able to toss their flag back and forth between teammates. Vehicles could be used (if implemented) as well.
+ (Possible) Tag : Essentially the opposite of Rambomatch, players would run away from a player carrying a special Tag weapon. Whoever is "it" the most, loses.
+ (possible)Bounty-Hunter : Players with a low number of kills are worth few points, while players with a high amount of kills are worth more points, making them prime targets for everyone else to hunt down.
+ (possible)Capture and Hold : Two/Three/Four teams would fight for control over several strategically placed points within a map, and whomever controls all the points at one time, or whoever has the most at the end of the match, wins.
+ (possible)Tug-of-War : A game-mode where players would deathmatch as usual (teams would be possible), and try to reach a certain score. Killing a player gets you a point, while getting killed costs you a point.
+ (possible)Duel : Two players would fight it out alone in an arena, while other players would watch the fight. When the match is over, the winner stays, and a new player (whomever has waited the longest) gets a chance to fight.
+ (possible)King of the Hill : Two/Three/Four teams would fight over a single position, not necessarily at the top of a hill. Teams would earn points over time, until the limit was reached/match ends.
+ (credits go to Meandor)Flag Collect : Three/Four teams of players, each team with their own flag, do their best to capture two of the enemy flags. In order to do this, two players on a team must grab two enemy flags and touch the flags together to score a point. Players cannot carry two flags.

Several gamemodes would also be essential:

+ Realistic : Recoil, falling damage, and LOS (Line of Sight) are implemented into play.
+ Survival : More useful on team-based gametypes, players fight until there is only one team/player left, the winner is determined, and they all respawn again.
+ Advance : Players are limited to secondary weapons on game start. A new weapon can be selected every couple of kills (every 10% of the Kill Limit or 10% 5 x Capture).
+ Reversed Advance : Players have all weapons to choose from at game start. A random weapon is lost every couple of kills (every 10% of the Kill Limit or 10% 5 x Capture).

Core Components: Graphics
A 2D Graphics System included as part of our engine, powered by OpenGL for cross-platform compatability. Will include a particle-based special effects system, allowing for advanced environmental features such as steam, bullet sparks, lava, water, and blood.

Core Components: Sound
Player actions, gunshots, pain effects and fanfare, will all be powered by OpenAL, which is an audio library that is easily cross-platform and works on any PC with a sound card.

Core Components: Controller Input
Keyboard and Mouse input, is all that is required here.

Core Components: Physics
Velocity in all degrees, player physics, bullets, ricochet, collision detection and response, vehicles(?), water, etc. Utilizing a simple skeleton system which focuses on the main portions of the body (foot, lower legs, upper legs, chest, hands, lower arms, upper arms, head) and provides seamless rag-doll physics.

Core Components: User Interface
The User Interface includes the Menu, Interfaces, and the graphics for said items. We'll want a simplistic, easy-to-use, and seamless UI.

Computer AI
An AI based highly upon waypointing and a reactive set of rules. Bots would follow the directions set by the mapmaker, and over time, they'll learn to prepare and react to certain events at certain points. For example, rather than having bots pour through the same motions and get killed the same way, they would learn and adapt, by perhaps firing ahead of them at defensive positions, or storming the area with grenades/LAW fire.

Multi-Player Mode: Peer-2-Peer and/or Server-Client
Obviously Server->Client is prefered, as this reduces lag and provides a greater deal of security. Server would choose which plugins to use and to allow, and anyone trying to use anything else is promptly told (forced) to disable them.

Edit: Updated to include a few new features and ideas.

Elephant_Hunter
November 19, 2004, 2:17 am
Wow, you've got me interested now. PM me if you want another programmer working with you.

Aquarius
November 19, 2004, 7:59 am
I can't program in C++ / OpenGL, but I may help with graphics, models, animations, maps etc in the future.

diediedie119
November 19, 2004, 8:20 am
ok then i'll just get some gun sounds then is that ok LL
i'm grateful if i can help
thnx

Deleted User
November 19, 2004, 8:32 am
Aquarius, that would be wonderful. You're very talented and I'd be honored to have you with us. I'm glad more and more people are getting into the project.

If you need any sort of inspiration for graphics or sound, feel free to turn to Soldat for examples. We'll probably be using much the same in terms of content.

Everyone (project member or not) is free to do their part. Even if you just draw up some concept art or come up with an idea, feel free to post it here. If you're the productive kind, we could always use new sounds or ideas for new gametypes/gamemodes, and features to include in the new engine are a must.

Teh Panda
November 19, 2004, 10:25 pm
I would like to be in the "team" but i cant do nothing >_>

diediedie119
November 20, 2004, 12:02 am
right i've some sounds for soldat but how do you add attachments

Deleted User
November 20, 2004, 12:14 am
quote:Originally posted by Teh PandaI would like to be in the "team" but i cant do nothing >_>

I always welcome any ideas, suggestions, or comments, Teh Panda. If you have anything you've ever wanted to see in Soldat, then feel free to post it here.

quote:diediedie119right i've some sounds for soldat but how do you add attachments

You should be able to attach them by uploading them somewhere (either on the forums or on the web somewhere) and inserting the link into your reply. If you don't a place on the web to upload them to, and they're not over 10Mb, then send them on over to soldatlapis@hotmail.com

This brings me to another point. We're getting to the point where we need a website for our project, so I'll probably be sending a few PM's out to a few people here, and trying for a host that has nothing to do with Freewebs. God that place bites.

Deleted User
November 20, 2004, 7:09 pm
I know the rules about double-posting, but this is pretty important and a seperate fact, so I decided a seperate post would be best.

I'll be going away on a bit of business from December 20th to around January 4th. I'm heading up to Tenessee to visit their Institute for Science and Technology, and to visit a bit of family up there. By that time I should have all the resources I need, so I'll be bringing my PC with me and I'll definitely be working on the project, however, I may be out of touch for awhile.

I'm sorry if this disappoints anyone, but I've been planning the trip for quite a few months now and I definitely need the vacation. So just to let everyone know, I will be away from the forums, but NOT from the project, during Dec. 20-Jan. 4

diediedie119
November 23, 2004, 9:53 am
ok then
i've got lots of sounds for you i'll e-mail you them
c ya

Deleted User
November 23, 2004, 8:49 pm
Many thanks, diediedie119. I'll take a look at the stuff you send me as soon as I can.

Just out of curiousity, what sounds -have- you sent me?

Kazuki
November 23, 2004, 9:40 pm
I've finally read this whole topic, and I really want to congratulate you on your dedication. I also want to wish you good luck, and I hope you accomplish your goals towards this project. If I knew a bit more about the aspect of programming, I might be interested in joining your 'team,' but I think I'll just sit back and try to help out with any problems you might have, other than the scripting. ;)

Apage43
November 25, 2004, 5:52 pm
Hmm, Somewhere we need to set up a site / todo list for the actual coding.
*points at box43.net *
Has there been any actual coding done?
I don't know much C(++)/SDL, I'm a PHP coder. ;D
But I can learn. I'll see if I can't make a quick 2d polygon renderer.

Deleted User
November 26, 2004, 4:23 pm
I've written up the application "flowchart" so to speak, and divided everything into the main aspects of the game so that we can all begin work and toying around with what we can do. I'll have it posted up here at the forums soon, so that the rest of the group can start their work on it all.

Many kind thanks to FliesLikeABrick for his generous offering of some FTP space for our project! I'll have a working site up here soon for everyone to peruse. Thank you everyone else for all your kindness and support. I'm so glad that everyone is willing to take a part in this project.

I'll post back in just a little while, giving all our project members the info they need to start experimenting and trying out new things. I'll begin my coding next week, probably starting with the 2D renderer.

Here is the list of things we need to do and a quick overview of the project.

OpenSoldat (Soldat Community Project)

Code Base: C++
Coding Packages: OpenGL, OpenAL, RakNet
End-Compiler: (Undecided)

Core Components:

Graphics: OpenGL
This will be the most important aspect of the game.
We'll need a triangle-based, 2D graphic engine using OpenGL for cross-platform compatability. Multiple resolutions are desired, with a simple, clean, and effecient particle system and collision detection and response. This means we'll need to be able to load textures (preferably in a small graphical format, such as TGA) and apply them to a "large" number of simple triangles. The graphic system must also utilize a form of standard timing, that way players with front-end PC's do not have an advantage because they move/shoot faster.

Physics: C++
We all know how important this is.
The physics system will have to be strong. Rag-doll animations, real-world integration, and a hightened sense of "existence" within the game. We want quick, seamless action, and a wide array of possibilities, with gun-fire, grenades, and explosions. Thus, we need velocity in every angle. A majority of the code will be collision-based.

Sound: OpenAL
Sound will be provided via OpenAL, a simple, easy to implement audio package that works on any PC with a sound card. It's very powerful, however, and can provide all the audio effects we need. This is least important, and can be added near the end, really.

Input: C++
We'll need to use a method of acquiring input that is both quick and responsive. Control is one of the more important aspects in a game and sluggish key/mouse input is NOT what we want.

Networking: RakNet
Obviously, a highly important factor to the game.
RakNet seems to be the most effecient and easy-to-implement system of netcode available. I currently do not know much about the code, but it is OS-independent, and fast, so we'll have a great deal of work off our shoulders once its implemented.

Moddibility:
We need a high degree of modibility. We want players to be able to easily change the game with just a few clicks. Thus, we need to develop a core to the game, the engine, if you will, and then we can create our first game. We'll need a great deal of player control as well, with easy-to-use commands for both servers and clients alike.

Meandor
November 26, 2004, 8:28 pm
Hey Lapis, why is your PM disabled? And do you have msn/icq/something similar?

Deleted User
November 26, 2004, 8:34 pm
Huh, I didn't know it was turned off. It was on yesterday? Weird.

I have MSN. Soldatlapis@hotmail.com , If you want to talk, I'll be on it shortly.

I installed AIM once.

I formatted shortly after. >_>

Meandor
November 26, 2004, 9:15 pm
haha, yeah, AIM messed up my CPU and i had to remove it from auto run ;<

ddzNappy84
November 26, 2004, 9:24 pm
Not a good Idea, I didn't read the responses, but Never-the-less, in case someone covered this sorry, But OpenGL is not a good Idea, remember, there are a lot of people who play Soldat who are too poor, or don't know much about computers or something, they have onboard graphics with no OpenGL support. I happen to be one of the few with not enough money, heh. Looking for a job now that I'm 16 and everything, but until then, I'm stuck with this 6 year old POS..... and even if so, what happens if I can't afford a Computer with a VGA? Then I'm screwed even more. Just a thought, sorry if this was useless :P

Deleted User
November 26, 2004, 9:47 pm
OpenGL has become an industry standard, really. There's little else one can do, unless you happen to know a way of getting in touch with your video card manufacturers and having them, oh, I don't know, release some new drivers or something.

Really, I used to have an old PC that suffered under the same predicament as yours. I couldn't even run 16-bit color, heh. Times change, though.

Aquarius
November 26, 2004, 9:59 pm
quote:Originally posted by ddzNappy84Not a good Idea, I didn't read the responses, but Never-the-less, in case someone covered this sorry, But OpenGL is not a good Idea, remember, there are a lot of people who play Soldat who are too poor, or don't know much about computers or something, they have onboard graphics with no OpenGL support. I happen to be one of the few with not enough money, heh. Looking for a job now that I'm 16 and everything, but until then, I'm stuck with this 6 year old POS..... and even if so, what happens if I can't afford a Computer with a VGA? Then I'm screwed even more. Just a thought, sorry if this was useless :P

An old video card or accelerator (voodoo), which supports OpenGL costs 10$ today, at least in Poland. So if you have time to play Soldat, you may find some time to earn the 10$ somehow. And remember that this project is at the very early planning stage, it won't be playable game for many months, so don't worry. And we still have original Soldat :)

palloco
November 26, 2004, 10:09 pm
It is not a matter of costs. If it does not support opengl it probably wont support directx 8.1. Tell me the name of a card in which this situation happens

Aquarius
November 26, 2004, 10:14 pm
If it's not even VGA card, I wonder how is he able to play Soldat :O Soldat in lowres and 16 colors? His card probably supports OpenGL, he just doesn't know it.

Deleted User
November 26, 2004, 11:08 pm
If his card doesn't support at least 256 colors then I don't see how he can even surf the web. IE has a massive VGA.drv error if you try to start it up with under 16-colors and most others can hardly cope with 256.

FliesLikeABrick
November 26, 2004, 11:59 pm
you guys now have free webspace for the project and its site, enjoy :-D

Deleted User
November 27, 2004, 12:04 am
We can't thank you enough, FliesLikeABrick! You really are too kind!

ddzNappy84
November 27, 2004, 1:35 am
My comp was High end when I got it, it's onboard, with FEW openGL drivers, but it has problems with games such as Call of Duty, Unreal Tournament 2003 etc., Jedi Outcast Two and many others, it can run 24 bit colors, but Can't open Map Editor etc unless I put it in 16 bit color. It's a crappy computer but it gets the job done :(

palloco
November 27, 2004, 11:02 am
FYI, OpenGL is much older than those games. The generation of games using OpenGL appeared in 1998, so it is obvious that if your card cant take it, it is because it is under the requirements of those games.

ddzNappy84
November 27, 2004, 3:11 pm
I actually say 6 year old because that's when this model was designed, I got it in 2000 and [IMAGE]ty onboard.. No new drivers have been released for it. It's Intel Chipset 10E bla bla bla or something.

Malachi
November 28, 2004, 9:05 pm
i can code with c++, you have my support

although i havent written any code in a while i have been wanting to start for some time and this is the perfect project to do it.

im especially interested in helping with the AI which will come later, but i will help with whatever untill then. just let me know

Deleted User
November 28, 2004, 9:30 pm
Well, Malachi! I'm glad that you're interested.

I'm going to start work on the 2D renderer first. Once I can get the polygons displayed (honestly, it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to do that) then I can work on some way to feed information to it (i.e, maps, players, etc.) and I guess I'll build on it from there. You're welcome to fiddle around with any ideas you have, of course. Don't be afraid to post any suggestions!

Aquarius
November 28, 2004, 9:52 pm
I think this project needs separated forums to discuss ideas, etc...

Deleted User
November 28, 2004, 10:07 pm
Yeah. I'll have almost all of Monday to work on the project, ranging from getting the renderer working to starting up the forums and IRC channel, not to mention work on the website.

Aquarius
November 28, 2004, 10:35 pm
I could help you with the web site, but I won't heave much time next week...

I was working on mine "secret" SoldatWiki site (which is far from ready). Because it's wiki, it's very easy to add/change/update/delete/bring back content on the site by anyone simply by clicking "edit" link. So, I added another subpage called opensoldat. Though it's not official Open Soldat site, I'll try to keep some informations about O.S there. If you want, you may edit the site (like anyone, it's "wiki philosophy"). Here is the direct link to the OpenSoldat subcategory:

http://soldatwiki.freeserverhost.com/index.php?page=soldatwiki/opensoldat/home

I am great fan of wikis :)

EDIT: to a guy from Canada - don't waste your time, I may revert all changes you done in a couple of seconds, so maybe next time add something valuable :)

diediedie119
November 29, 2004, 9:29 am
this is only a suggestion ok
how about a slow-motion/mega slow-motion key
i am learning c++,visual basic,Open GL and Direct X

its good to help you LL

my dad said open scource is not easy to hack

m00`
November 29, 2004, 9:36 am
thats a cool site aquarious :D

Aquarius
November 29, 2004, 10:10 am
Yep, but let's not steal the topic. If you have any comments about it, post it here

Element_101
November 29, 2004, 11:28 am
Ok, It Took Me Close To Half An Hour But I Finally Read This Whole Topic.

I Have To Say Im Very Impressed That You Guys Are Taking This Task One, Following Up To Soldat Wont Be Easy But Im Sure From What Ive Read You Guys Are Up To The Challenge.

Also Id Just Like To Say That Id Be Very Happy To Help With Any Of The Art/Drawing Aspects Of The Game. If You Would Like Help With This Contact Me On:

raptor101010@hotmail.com

bb_vb
November 29, 2004, 11:08 pm
Just got back from NZ yesterday after a sweet 11 day holiday. Looks like things are progressing nicely here. Glad to see lots of new support coming in :)

I'm currently well underway with a particle engine which I started a couple of weeks ago. It's a fair way off being finished, but it should be up to the job. I'll chuck up some screenshots when I get something decent going.

Good to hear you've started on the renderer LL. I always find it easier to get things done when you have some eye candy to keep you motivated, so that should be great.

Looking forward to a website ;)

Aquarius
November 29, 2004, 11:18 pm
Here is an Open Soldat wallpaper I made today (simple, because there is not much to show yet ;)

[IMAGE]

Background color is RGB(55,47,45).

diediedie119
November 30, 2004, 6:50 am
hey guys i know HTML so i can make a realy cool website
ok

nice to help you LL

Deleted User
November 30, 2004, 9:19 am
I've gotten a lot of work done, so I'll just start right down the list.

First, the Soldat Community Project is now known as Ouden, which is loosely, Greek for "no name".

Secondly, thank you Meandor and n00bface, you are lifesavers, both of you. Meander has reintroduced me to the world of IRC, and n00bface has gotten the Ouden channel up and running at peak effeciency. Many thanks to you both! You can join the channel on Quakenet. Just do /join #ouden .

Third, I have some forums established especially for the Ouden project. They're php, and none of it could be done without FliesLikeABrick's generosity. His kindness has landed us a secure place to discuss our project, so I suggest we use it! Visit http://dyn.u13.net:6080/host/cp/phpBB2/index.php and sign up!

Fourth, I have established a simple rendering engine, based entirely out of triangles. I'll set up a file-format for creating maps and the like, which will probably become the basis for the map-maker files and whatnot. bb_vb has done some work on the particle engine, which will be nice to see, once they're all tied together.

Fifth, I would like to thank you all here at the forums for your support. We're taking this a step further now, and we would all appreciate having the community with us every step of the way, so feel free to engage in the discussions on the forums and share your thoughts.

Finally, I would like to ask that this thread be locked. All further discussion will take place at the forums and in IRC.

Let's roll.

palloco
November 30, 2004, 12:14 pm
First, when you register it gives you a error message:

"
Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 234
File : e:\website\host\cp\phpBB2\includes\emailer.php
"

but the user is created, and when you try to login it says
"You have specified an incorrect or inactive username, or an invalid password."

2nd: I think you should disable activation if that is the reason why I cannot login. If it is open-source anyone should be able to see the progress and participate.

Aquarius
November 30, 2004, 12:24 pm
I've got the same problem as palloco.

Deleted User
November 30, 2004, 6:09 pm
I've done a bit of research on the problem and it seems to be an error with the version of PHP I'm using.

And unfortunately, turning it off doesn't seem to help. -_-

I'll message FliesLikeABrick and see if he has any info on the problem. I'm as lost as you guys are on this, but I will get it fixed.

EDIT: Nevermind. Problem solved.

It seems there was an error in one of the variables for emailer.php. Thanks for reporting the error so quickly guys. It should all work now.

Aquarius
November 30, 2004, 6:51 pm
Cool, but I can't login anyway. Could you delete my account, I'll try to re-register. I can't create 2nd account with the same e-mail.

Or activate it, if you can.

Deleted User
November 30, 2004, 7:48 pm
You've been activated, Aquarius. Sorry for the delay.

Aquarius
November 30, 2004, 8:15 pm
NP, now it works, thanks.

Melba
November 30, 2004, 8:58 pm
quote:Originally posted by Element_101Ok, It Took Me Close To Half An Hour But I Finally Read This Whole Topic.

I Have To Say Im Very Impressed That You Guys Are Taking This Task One, Following Up To Soldat Wont Be Easy But Im Sure From What Ive Read You Guys Are Up To The Challenge.

Also Id Just Like To Say That Id Be Very Happy To Help With Any Of The Art/Drawing Aspects Of The Game. If You Would Like Help With This Contact Me On:

raptor101010@hotmail.com

are you sure you didnt mean that it took you half an hour to type just like that?

n00bface
November 30, 2004, 9:52 pm
Yes, Typing Like This Is Very Annoying To The Person Reading It. It Is Like Trying To Understand An Emo WhO iS tYpInG lIkE tHiS. Just Stop It, Please!!! It Is In No Way Unique If That Is How You Were Trying To Make It. If You Want To Make Your Typing A Little More Unique, How About Typing In Colors Instead. I Think That Typing [red][/red] Is Easier Than Capitalizing Every Word. speekinG lIeK TiHs s evenn morE grammertically correact than Typing Like This.

Edit: bb_vb, i don't get it
|
|
v

bb_vb
November 30, 2004, 11:04 pm
I love the name 'Ouden', and the site looks great, but apparently my account is still inactive :S

EDIT: Just whipped up a little something, tell me what you think:

[IMAGE]

DOUBLE EDIT: It's sposed to be a logo for the project, I did two so you can see both colors.

Aquarius
December 1, 2004, 12:11 am
I think it's hardly readable.... even if you *know* that it is "Ouden".
The last letter is more "H" than "N".

Deleted User
December 1, 2004, 2:25 am
Sorry! If you have an account that won't login, please, send me a PM. I'll have it up and running as soon as possible.

I'll have you up in a sec, bb vb

bb_vb
December 1, 2004, 8:33 am
Heh yeah, it is pretty hard to read actually (I was hoping the N would be obvious enough ><). It was just one of those spur of the moment things. But I spose eventually we'll need a logo anyway, so why don't we ask for other people to have a go?

And thanks for that LL, seems like your having a bit of trouble with it, and I had to register again, but I'm in now so it's all good ;)

Deleted User
December 1, 2004, 9:12 am
Yes, the forums had a bit of a corrupted file or something. bad joojoo and all.

Again, I had the emailer problem, but I fixed it, again. There's a typo in the emailer.php file, I swear.

it's just a simple matter of deleting a single extra character, and suddenly it works again. So, the forums are all up and running, so far.

oh, by the way, bb vb, I do like the style of the logo, bb vb. honestly, just fix up the N and it'll be perfect. Heck, I like it as it is.

Aquarius
December 1, 2004, 1:42 pm
Here is my attempt/proposition:

[IMAGE]

inspirations/references:
- polygon engine
- a sharp pencil (design)
- an arrow (progress, clear aim)
- many elements joined together (teamwork)
- openness, open source