( search forums )
Minigun improvemant
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Boer
February 14, 2005, 8:56 am
Slight change to minigun to keep it spinning for a few seconds after shooting. like you get a second bar above the jet bar, and when its spinning the bar decreases!

so when you press a key ( cenre mouse button) it keeps on spinning.

in some sense this is already in the game, when you hit sumone with the gun , and its already spun up, it keeps the spin.

peemonkey
February 14, 2005, 4:05 pm
no need for a bar, but this idea would fit well with the minigun. the way it is right now isnt too much of a weapon, and is primarily used by newbies to jet around with the flag, and a small number of us die hard users...

Lt. Sneezy
February 14, 2005, 8:13 pm
Being able to keep the Minigun spinning would definitely increase it's usability. Most people shy away from it because they die before they get too many shots off.

DT
February 14, 2005, 10:03 pm
think of it as this...
you have a giant gun
you need time for it to start to spin
you shoot it... alot of times
you keep it spining
you can't reload it
the bullets get messed up and now you can't fire it
you lose your hand
so...
nah say i a on this

Captain Ben
February 14, 2005, 11:01 pm
good idea.
i'd like to see a player carrying one, shooting it, dying and then seeing the minigun go nuts for about 2-3 seconds before it stops spinning.
quicker to reload if spinning? or slower...

papasurf31
February 15, 2005, 2:09 am
U mean if you rapidly keep tapping the fire button, the minigun could be constantly spun up at fll speed so it would fire instantly the second you held down the fire button? YESS I SAYYY!!

Rambo_6
February 15, 2005, 2:13 am
I can picture a guy dying, and his minigun spinning out of control, spraying bullets everywhere...

But that would prolly cause WAY too much lag. I like the idea you stated though, boer.

SPARTAN_III
February 15, 2005, 10:13 am
or we could have the center button as the charge. u press it and the gun charges up, and then u press left mouse whenever u like, and it starts shooting, INSTANTLY!

reckon
February 15, 2005, 10:35 pm
But I use my center mouse button to reload and fire!
You cant take that away from me, its preciouuuuuuuus.

Lt. Sneezy
February 15, 2005, 11:39 pm
Well, just make the default button the center mouse button, and reckon, if you want to change it, go right ahead.

Marine
February 16, 2005, 5:36 am
It would look cool, sort of like in Predator, where the guy emtpies it into the forest and keeps holding the trigger, making it spin.

But...no thanks. Rather useless.

And...I think there is a cooldown spin, it does spin for like 1 or 2 seconds after firing.

MOFO NOFO
February 16, 2005, 8:28 am
some people dont have middle buttons (i do tho) but anyways, mabye it should be like this:

Hold left mouse button, it starts up, then like theres a *click* when it is ready to auto spin, then you can safely take your finger off the button and it will still spin :P, then until you have to reload it will keep spinning

ALTERNATIVE: instead of the minigun keep spinning, it goes back to normal after you stop firing bullets, like this: hold button till u hear a click OR it doesnt shoot but just spins there, then press down the mouse button again to shoot, Say you dont want to waste all 100 bulllets, when you let go, you have to spin it up again.

Captain Ben
February 16, 2005, 11:38 am
maybe you could just do a quick click and it would start spinning, and then you HOLD the mouse button down to start firing.
then once all of your bullets are gone, do quick click to stop the spinning, so you can reload!
and then repeat!

Maluno
February 18, 2005, 10:42 pm
Basically, there is little difference from implementing the ideas presented here and completely eliminating the spin-up time altogether. I'm not advocating changing anything, just pointing out what I see so that you may view it in a different way.

Boer
February 20, 2005, 7:52 pm
MY POINTY WAS A BALANCED SPINUP-keep like jetpack is balanced. it runs out resemling the way jet runs out.
ok maby this work better> if you release fire button it spins down. the longer you take to fire again, the less the spin up is, to a limit of 5 seconds where the gun completely stops spinning.

Boxo
February 20, 2005, 7:55 pm
I think this is just what the minigun needs to be a decent weapon.

Sam
February 24, 2005, 4:21 pm
Sorry for vringing up a (sort of) old topic, but any of you played the first hitman? It had a feature where you pressed the fire button once and the barrel started spinning, you pressed it again and you started firing. I think this would be easier than having a second button to do the spinning.

When you release the fire button (after you have finished shooting) It slowly stops spinning, although anytime you press the fire button during that period you will start shooting again almost automatically. Maybe even if you press shoot STRAIGHT after un-pressing it you start shooting again instantly, but if you press it 2seconds after it takes a longer time to start spinning again.

Liquid Metal
February 25, 2005, 8:10 am
For the bar thingy couldn't it just be done with the fire bar? As you charge up it goes to the left and as it starts to stop spinning it goes back to the right.

February 26, 2005, 1:28 pm
OMIGOD! IM IN THE MIDDLE OF A FIREFIGHT! I HAVE A MINIGUN AND I TRY TO FIRE! MY MINIGUN STARTS SPINNING BUT NOTHING HAPPENS! I DIE! > the mind of the n00b if we had that idea. Pretty kewl but still, if you read the predator article, you'll realise that if you kept it spinning you would
A: Rip your fingers off when you tried to load new ammo or
B: Overheat your gun and burn your hands off.
YOUR CHOICE

Captain Ben
February 26, 2005, 1:55 pm
or just explode, sprayin shrapnel all over random players...