( search forums )
SARJ 1.2.0 released
Soldat Forums - Soldat Fans - Fan Apps
rusty
March 21, 2005, 7:02 pm
Hey guys,

I've just released the next version of SARJ, my Soldat server administration tool. Info, screenshots and the download link can be found on the web site:

[URL]

Hope you guys like it as much as the older version :)

- Rusty

Pulp
March 21, 2005, 7:39 pm
Is looking good... no crashes so far... :)

...hopefully there soon will be released some scripts for it, being completely coding-illiterated myself...

Aquarius
March 21, 2005, 10:19 pm
Great job.

AWH_ReApEr
March 22, 2005, 12:11 am
Without a doubt, the best Remote Admin application available.

Deleted User
March 22, 2005, 12:14 am
Definately the best one availible - at the moment ;)

FliesLikeABrick
March 22, 2005, 1:26 am
3 suggestions:

1) make it tabbed so that more than one server can be connected at once in one instance of SARJ
2) option to remember passwords
3) instead of having to use a standard IPv4 (ex 67.86.147.64 etc), allow it to look up hostnames, so that I can use a domain with servers on dynamic addresses (ex dyn.u13.net)

nice app :D

rusty
March 22, 2005, 10:39 am
quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrick3 suggestions:

1) make it tabbed so that more than one server can be connected at once in one instance of SARJ
2) option to remember passwords
3) instead of having to use a standard IPv4 (ex 67.86.147.64 etc), allow it to look up hostnames, so that I can use a domain with servers on dynamic addresses (ex dyn.u13.net)

nice app :D

Thanks FliesLikeABrick, I'll take a note of that. I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to security so I didn't want to store the password in plaintext.

Enesce: Sounds like a challenge - but then I think Java kicks VB's ass any day ;) Seriously though, good work on your other programs and keep it up.

Yukwunhang
March 22, 2005, 2:07 pm

[stupid question]
How do you run/install the app?I know it is a .jar but it changes to .zip automaticly when I download it. I got the latest version of Java, I just can't figure out how to use.
Or this only works on linux? Thanks.
[/stupid question]

rusty
March 22, 2005, 2:24 pm
You probably have jar files set to open with your archive tool (e.g. WinRAR) instead of opening with Java. Just right click -> open with... and choose javaw.exe, found in the bin directory of your java installation.

Yukwunhang
March 22, 2005, 3:39 pm
I did that before but:
"Cannot find the main class. Program will exit."

rusty
March 22, 2005, 3:54 pm
quote:Originally posted by yukwunhangI did that before but:

Do you have two versions of Java installed? It might be running with the old version instead of the new one - that happened to me once.

iLLskiLLs
March 23, 2005, 5:20 am
Well it doesn't save the ip/port of the server you're administer of, and I can't copy/paste server ip's inside the slot prvided :((( gj other wise.....

AWH_ReApEr
March 23, 2005, 6:13 am
Yes it does. It saves the IP/Port...

Yukwunhang
March 23, 2005, 12:58 pm
quote:Originally posted by rustyquote:Originally posted by yukwunhangI did that before but:

Do you have two versions of Java installed? It might be running with the old version instead of the new one - that happened to me once.

I've uninstall all the older versions of Java, but it still happened.
My version of java is 5.0 update 2.

rusty
March 23, 2005, 1:56 pm
what does it say when you type 'java -version' in a console?

if all else fails, try this from a console while in the directory with the sarj.jar file

javaw -cp sarj.jar sarj.Sarj

Yukwunhang
March 23, 2005, 2:08 pm
quote:what does it say when you type 'java -version' in a console?
java version "1.5.0_02"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_02-b09)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_02-b09, mixed mode, sharing)

quote:if all else fails, try this from a console while in the directory with the sarj.jar file

javaw -cp sarj.jar sarj.Sarj
Cannot find the main class. Program will exit.

Karvinen
March 25, 2005, 1:29 pm
Nice, it doesn't hog 100% cpu when disconnected anymore.

Deleted User
March 26, 2005, 2:19 am
Could you have a detailed description on how to install this program? I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one having trouble.

AWH_ReApEr
March 26, 2005, 2:43 am
What could you possibly having trouble with? There's an installer...

You run the installer, and voila!

Pulp
March 26, 2005, 3:07 am
Be sure you have Java Runtime Environment installed on your computer, yhdp2.
( http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp )

The *.jar is the executable file in the SARJ-folder.

Deleted User
March 26, 2005, 3:21 am
There is no .jar file in the zip package or an other executable, I've tryed donwloading multiple times, no sign of it...

Pulp
March 26, 2005, 3:31 am
Hmm, that's odd.
Your folder should contain the following files :
- config.txt
- readme.txt
- sarj.jar
- start.bat/exe ( if the *.jar doesn't execute )

-EDIT-

Well, it seems that Rusty made a link to the wrong file, i think. You better wait for an update of his website.

rusty
March 26, 2005, 10:13 am
The file link should be fine:

[URL]

This is an executable jar file - if you have Java setup correctly it should run when you double-click the file. However, some people are having problems with Windows interpreting the file as a 'zip' file (and opening it?) JAR is actually a valid type of archive so this works and you get a list of files, but you shouldn't do this because you're just seeing a list of files used by the installer (not the same files that end up in your installation directory!) So if the installer won't run automatically for some reason, I suggest trying it from a console:

javaw -jar SARJ1.2.0.jar

Let me know how that goes. If people still have probs I'll upload a zip file that you can manually extract, like in 1.1.

EDIT: Zip file can nw be found on the web site

Yukwunhang
March 27, 2005, 5:41 pm
Yay, I've uninstalled SP2 and it works fine now.

AWH_ReApEr
March 28, 2005, 3:22 am
I'm almost certain SARJ makes my server very unstable. My server was running perfectly fine all day today, then I connect with SARJ and it crashes in 30 minutes. =/

Yukwunhang
March 28, 2005, 7:40 am
quote:Originally posted by AWH_ReApErI'm almost certain SARJ makes my server very unstable. My server was running perfectly fine all day today, then I connect with SARJ and it crashes in 30 minutes. =/

Same here.

Karvinen
March 28, 2005, 10:08 am
How do you call other script from a script (with parameters or not)?
I already tried the load() command but it says file not found in sarj.jar.

---------------
Enabling the "onDataReceived" script makes other event scripts like onPlayerJoin not work:
[12:54] Interpreter exception: FESI.jslib.JSException: Syntax error detected near line 0, column 0, after <EOF>
in string: 'function anonymous (PLAYER_NAME,PLAYER_IP,PLAYER_PORT) {}'

Deleted User
March 28, 2005, 10:23 am
Karvinen, I deleted your double post.

rusty
March 28, 2005, 10:59 am
I'm afraid there's not much I can do about server stability - I'm fairly certain it's a problem with the server rather than SARJ, my argument being that SARJ generates exactly the same kind of traffic (and about the same amount) as the original server admin tool does. SARJ actually sends a very small amount of data in relation to a player on the server, but perhaps you could set the auto refreshes to happen less often and see if that helps (though they only generate about 2kb of data each time).

As for the scripting problems, I just tried running onPlayerJoin and onDataReceived scripts at the same time and had no problems at all. Maybe it was a problem with the syntax in your script as the message suggests? If you still have problems then email your script to me and I'll try and find out what's up.

You should be able to load another script by using the load command and specifying the path relative to the same directory that sarj.jar is in, eg:

load("scripts/myscript.js");

Again, this worked ok when I tried it. Let me know if you still have problems :)

P.S. Thanks for keeping me informed of these things.

Karvinen
March 28, 2005, 7:12 pm
The onPlayerJoin works fine when onDataReceived is disabled, but stops working after I enable onDataReceived. The onDataReceived works fine too.

Load:
I'm using Windows XP so \ (\\) is used in paths.

load("\\scripts\\test.js");
Runtime error Module \scripts\test.js not found in C:\SoldatServer_1.2.1\sarj120\SARJ\sarj.jar

load("scripts\\test.js");
Runtime error Module scripts\test.js not found in C:\SoldatServer_1.2.1\sarj120\SARJ\sarj.jar

same with /

onDataReceived script:
[code]mainProg = Packages.sarj.Sarj.instance();
optionpane = Packages.javax.swing.JOptionPane;
thread = Packages.java.lang.Thread;

datastring = new java.lang.String(DATA_STRING);
if (datastring.startsWith ("/delayedshutdown"))
{
mainProg.sendData("/say Server shutting down in 2 minutes\n");
thread.sleep(60000);
mainProg.sendData("/say Server shutting down in 1 minute\n");
thread.sleep(30000);
mainProg.sendData("/say Server shutting down in 30 seconds\n");
thread.sleep(10000);
mainProg.sendData("/say Server shutting down in 20 seconds\n");
thread.sleep(10000);
mainProg.sendData("/say Server shutting down in 10 seconds\n");
thread.sleep(5000);
mainProg.sendData("/say Server shutting down in 5 seconds\n");
thread.sleep(1000);
mainProg.sendData("/say Server shutting down in 4 seconds\n");
thread.sleep(1000);
mainProg.sendData("/say Server shutting down in 3 seconds\n");
thread.sleep(1000);
mainProg.sendData("/say Server shutting down in 2 seconds\n");
thread.sleep(1000);
mainProg.sendData("/say Server shutting down in 1 seconds\n");
thread.sleep(1000);
mainProg.sendData("/say Server shutting down now\n");
mainProg.sendData("SHUTDOWN\n");
mainProg.disconnectClient();
optionpane.showMessageDialog(null, "The server has been shut down", "SARJ", optionpane.INFORMATION_MESSAGE);
}[/code]

onPlayerJoin is the script that came with the installation (auto kick soldiers).

Aquarius
March 28, 2005, 7:21 pm
Rusty, it seems that only one event may be activated in one time.

The same bug is with onDataReceived and onPlayerSpeak, when both are enabled, onPlayerSpeak doesn't work.

Elephant_Hunter
March 28, 2005, 7:34 pm
quote:Originally posted by KarvinenThe onPlayerJoin works fine when onDataReceived is disabled, but stops working after I enable onDataReceived. The onDataReceived works fine too.

Load:

Runtime error Module \scripts\test.js not found in C:\SoldatServer_1.2.1\sarj120\SARJ\sarj.jar

Runtime error Module scripts\test.js not found in C:\SoldatServer_1.2.1\sarj120\SARJ\sarj.jar

Using Linux I had a similar error. You need to use absolute instead of relative paths.
Ex: C:\SoldatServer_1.2.1\sarj120\SARJ\scripts\test.js

Rusty, there is another problem I've noticed with timer-activated scripts. I have 2 running at the same time, one to manage the bots and another to occasionally say "You are playing so-and-so map, please visit smc.u13.net!". The first script is very complicated, but runs without error. The second one will mess up and run twice in a row =/

I've concluded it must be a bug starting time activated scripts in SARJ. Dunno if anyone else has experianced the same bug.

rusty
March 28, 2005, 10:51 pm
Okay, I think I've found the problem - seems I wasn't threading the interpreters correctly and they were interfering with one another. Can you download the new jar file:

[URL]

and put it into your SARJ directory to test it out? If it's fixed I'll make a new release.

Elephant_Hunter
March 29, 2005, 2:13 am
Working much better :D

Have you got switch statements to run? I can't seem to do it..

AWH_ReApEr
March 29, 2005, 4:20 am
At this point, I'm absolutely convinced the server is far more unstable while SARJ is running. I can run the server for 24 hours, then run SARJ and it crashes within an hour every time.

Elephant_Hunter
March 29, 2005, 5:19 am
What error do you get?

Anything like this?

AWH_ReApEr
March 29, 2005, 5:33 am
Rarely. I usually get something like:

BlahBlah joining the game (12.12.12.12:12345)

And it just locks up. The server gives everyone connection errors.

Elephant_Hunter
March 29, 2005, 5:44 am
No dialog box?

Because that's what has been happening to me kinda. It doesn't show the error until I close the dialog.

rusty
March 29, 2005, 9:19 am
Okay, later I'll try leaving a server up for a few hours with SARJ and a packet logger running and see if it crashes. If it does i'll look for some strange traffic being sent causing it to crash. It's interesting that it always crashes when a player joins...

Elephant_Hunter
March 30, 2005, 2:33 pm
Would you be able to show the player # as well in the onPlayerJoin event?
(and again... have you been able to set up a switch statement? :D)

This is going to be really useful in the 1v1 dueling arena I will be hosting.

rusty
March 30, 2005, 3:58 pm
Unfortunately the player ID isn't known at the time the event is triggered - it's all parsed from the string you see appear in the console. There's a post somewhere in the forum thread showing how to get the player ID from the player table.

As for the switch statement, I've tested it myself and haven't got it to work either. After some extensive googling it looks as if the scripting interpreter doesn't support it :(. Annoying, but then I guess it's not too much extra effort to just use 'if's and 'else if's.

Of course, I'd be happy to put any scripts you make up on the site. The more the merrier :)

Karvinen
April 4, 2005, 8:46 pm
quote:Originally posted by Elephant_Hunterquote:Originally posted by KarvinenThe onPlayerJoin works fine when onDataReceived is disabled, but stops working after I enable onDataReceived. The onDataReceived works fine too.

Load:

Using Linux I had a similar error. You need to use absolute instead of relative paths.
Ex: C:\SoldatServer_1.2.1\sarj120\SARJ\scripts\test.js

It still tries to load the script from sarj.jar

Elephant_Hunter
April 5, 2005, 1:47 am
[IMAGE]

Mr. blah blah blah could not respond

I have been getting this error an awful lot. After it happens the server just won't let anybody join, and I have to restart both the remote admin and the server to fix it.

Deleted User
April 10, 2005, 7:54 pm
Great program.. me likes this ^^

KeFear
May 9, 2005, 5:50 pm
Nice app, one thing i don't like, that it only accepts IPs, not domain names.. but it would be much better if it would allow server addresses in domain form. And the other one is the looks of it. I prefer the original soldat admin. :) Anyway, nice and useful for many users.

Drama
August 6, 2005, 6:10 pm
a Suggestion:

Now that there's the new /kill command, you could make teamkilling punish system.
You'd need an even called onKill, or something. The strucuture would be something like this: onKill -> if(killersteam == victimteam) -> /kill killerid

It would be possible, wouldnt it?

KeFear
August 6, 2005, 6:44 pm
That wouldn't be possible as kills aren't displayed in server console :\

Hoodlum
August 6, 2005, 6:51 pm
Very well put together.

Drama
August 6, 2005, 7:47 pm
quote:Originally posted by KeFearThat wouldn't be possible as kills aren't displayed in server console :

Oh, then it goes back to michal

KeFear
August 6, 2005, 7:58 pm
be sure to check out my Advanced Remote Soldat Server Enchanter. Maybe it satisfies your needs :)

binarypsycho
April 25, 2006, 5:18 pm
Heya Rusty, I can't get sarj from your website!
I Would like to test it!
Could you or somebody that has it send to me or host in somewhere?
Hint - www.box.net
Thanks in advance!

binarypsycho
April 26, 2006, 11:39 pm
OK, I've managed to found it and uploaded it to this link.
http://www.box.net/public/kaq5ympoa4

I hope to help somebody...!
P.S: www.box.net asks registration, but it is quick and reliable.