( search forums )
po(a) editor 0.3 .2 - edit animations and objects
Soldat Forums - Soldat Interface Mods & Mod Making - General Discussions
szevvy
July 1, 2003, 2:03 am
-== LATEST INFO AND DOWNLOAD ==-

20 March 2004: Give me a day or two to update the editor (now that Soldat lets you use modified animations again), after which I'll upload it. The old one is now hosted at http://www.gamers-pit.com/szevvy/poaeditor_032.zip, but remember that this one is probably 9 months old, is crappy, has no help file, and doesn't have the two new animations. So, unless you REALLY need this straight away, I'd wait. [:D]

BManx2000
July 1, 2003, 3:13 am
All I can say is: Coolies!

AAARGH, it says I need VCL60.BPL [:-weepn]

N1nj@
July 1, 2003, 3:34 am
thats what i got too, i try searching on google.ca to download it, but can't find anything about it...

BManx2000
July 1, 2003, 4:00 am
Bah. I try this download I have no idea what it is, and then it asks for another dll. Then I find it and download it and it asks for another dll. Well I can't find this one so maybe you could give us them, please?

szevvy
July 1, 2003, 4:41 am
Yep, my bad, sorry. Forgot to build with runtime packages. [:D]

This'll jack the size of the download up to 300k.

As a reward for your patience, I have a surprise: version 0.2

This means enhancements to the interface, but more importantly: it now loads .po files as well! Yes, the anims and objects directories are yours for the taking...[LINK UPDATED]

BManx2000
July 1, 2003, 5:10 am
*sigh*
Is it just me, or does it still not work?

Futile
July 1, 2003, 5:24 am
Nope, doesn´t work for me either. But I´m currently on a Win ME machine, and nothing works with ME. Anyhow, its a missing DLL messing things up.

szevvy
July 1, 2003, 5:26 am
edit: I think I've got it.

"If you enable the option, the RTL code isn?t linked into your application, resulting in a smaller image, but you must distribute the RTL DLL with your application."

Bloody hell, Borland makes it hard to distribute your apps!

The old link now contains the new file.

I'm so sorry about all this mess. Hope it's worth it. [:D]

if it *still* doesn't work, then do tell. I'm determined to get this working.

mr_bob
July 1, 2003, 6:22 am
hey it works for me but i think u got some of the animations assoc. withe the wrong action like falls and aims

szevvy
July 1, 2003, 6:38 am
It works? Huzzah!

Yeah, it would appear that they're all out by one. Forgot about the break bar I added to seperate the objects and animations. Fixed.

Also, you shouldn't have any more flickering, if you did before, and clicking on a point will select it.

The url again is [LINK UPDATED]

enjoyincubus
July 1, 2003, 6:47 am
Nice. It works for me finally. I wanted to see someone make a proggy like this, although you can't really do anything with it right now. But you have done well nonetheless. I might work on a dance routine to replace /victory when you make the editor! ;)

Enjoy

mr_bob
July 1, 2003, 6:56 am
hey question is this going to be a program to edit the files or just to view them just wondering

szevvy
July 1, 2003, 7:07 am
Once I get Michal to verify a few things for me, you'll be able to edit them.

(Mainly whether the second value in a point is the rotation...)

DNA.styx
July 1, 2003, 7:45 am
szevvy, it's best to update your first post with the most recent links/info so that folks can find it easy.

m1nt ch3w
July 1, 2003, 10:57 am
seems the host must be getting overloaded. i get a connection timeout.

Meandor
July 1, 2003, 11:14 am
wow, if this gets approved and finished i'm gonna luv you Sze =)

GF
July 1, 2003, 1:35 pm
[:-censored] [:-censored] damn i can't download

BManx2000
July 1, 2003, 3:54 pm
Yeah, now that it seems to work, I can't download it :/

N1nj@
July 1, 2003, 4:19 pm
i can't download either...

enjoyincubus
July 1, 2003, 6:20 pm
http://www.geocities.com/soldatmappacks/poaviewer02.zip

(right-click, Save Target As...)

There's the file. Someone with a good host please take it and then upload it to your site, as this flimsy geocities account won't hold up either. I only opened this account for little stuff like this. ;)

Enjoy

Tha Doggfather
July 1, 2003, 6:29 pm
im willing to put it on my site, but that link is already dead...

BManx2000
July 1, 2003, 6:36 pm
Well at least I have it, but yeah, without a proper host, we're kind of screwed. Unfortunately, all I have is a geocities account so I can't help [:(]

TheKnightoftheMare
July 1, 2003, 7:04 pm
ownage, so soon we'll be able to edit and make our own?Hope michal says its ok cause like 2 months ago I asked for his prog but he said no :|

GF
July 1, 2003, 7:37 pm
thanks for the download enjoyincubus

Meandor
July 1, 2003, 9:10 pm
http://www.turrino.com/soldat/poaviewer02.zip
Sze if you need a host just mail me new versions and i'll put em up asap

N1nj@
July 1, 2003, 9:55 pm
good work man. i might be able to host this too :)

sauron_the_deceiver
July 1, 2003, 11:03 pm
So this program can play the animations for Soldat? And if Mike doesn't mind you'll make it so we can edit them? Sweet stuff. A whole new era of mods.

Szevvy: I noticed that you don't know what Kolba?? is. It's the animation for gun-whipping people in close combat. Glad to be of help :D

BManx2000
July 2, 2003, 12:08 am
I don't think Michal would mind, I mean, it's not fifferent from any other modding. Maybe once the editor comes out, I can make it so my lightsaber is swung properly [:D]

szevvy
July 2, 2003, 1:22 am
New version, new link.

Sauron - Thanks, yeah, I'll fix that in the next one, it's just a change in the names.txt file

You think he'd have a problem with it? Damn, didn't expect that :( Then again, he's left all the textures and that as .bmps, and po/poa files are just textfiles, so I think he just doesn't have the time to do up an editor...

Baltor
July 2, 2003, 1:34 am
Sweeet!
This is so cool.
I'm downloading now...

N1nj@
July 2, 2003, 3:02 am
can't download....again...

szevvy
July 2, 2003, 4:12 am
Works for me...you're using the link from the first post on first page? If someone could mirror the new one it'd make life easier, it seems all my hosts are crap [:D]

Meandor, yeah, if you could host I'd be very much obliged.

enjoyincubus
July 2, 2003, 4:50 am
Yeah, I got it at 2 KB/s...it just took a while. But I like it a LOT. Good work. Just wondering...if I edited my player to make him smaller, he would NOT appear that way in game to other people, would he? I hope he would, but I doubt it...:P

Enjoy

szevvy
July 2, 2003, 5:18 am
That's what I'm not sure of. For example, you can raise the player so he floats of the ground, but I don't know how that would impact on the bounding box and so forth, or within multiplayer games. Also remember that the 'person' object file seems to define the geomtery of the player, so modifying that might do something...y'all just have to play around and see what you can and can't do.

If anyone finds any bugs or can recommend improvements:
please post them.

I'm working on, for 0.4, (seeing as I started this thing, so I might as well finish it [:D]) multiple point selection, persistent changes (cntrl+drag a point to move that point in all other frames by a relative amount), toggle-able contstrained movement (move the toe point and the leg will follow to keep the leg at the same length), rotation around a point (making flips and so forth will be easy), keyframing (define the start and end points, and PO(A) will generate all the frames in between), and maybe even an animation soldat style preview.

You'll have to wait, though. [:p]

sauron_the_deceiver
July 2, 2003, 11:33 am
Oh wow editable animations....the possibility in mods now. Well done szevvy.

GF
July 2, 2003, 11:41 am
i can't load files like barret or stands
there comes a message like '1.580854760' is not a valid floating point value
plz help

szevvy
July 2, 2003, 12:14 pm
Hmmm...works on mine...

Attach your 'stoi.poa', and I'll see what the problem is.

GF
July 2, 2003, 12:23 pm
here is the stoi.poa
Download Attachment: [IMAGE] stoi.zip9.53 KB

i hope you can fix it

TheKnightoftheMare
July 2, 2003, 1:05 pm
kick ass, thanks szevvy and michal.

N1nj@
July 2, 2003, 2:14 pm
now it works, i m gotta check it out now.

[edit] will some one mind to make a tutoril or manual on how to edit the files? [/edit]

btw, good job sezzy, nice work.

BManx2000
July 2, 2003, 2:24 pm
Awesome, I'm looking forward to these new improvements! One thing I think would be the easiest and probably the first one you should do, though, is a copy/paste frames feature. With this, you could copy one frame and paste it in the next, unedited frame, so you only have to move the points a bit instead of guessing and totaly repositioning all the points.

Heh, I made a wierd animation for the victory taunt, the soldat still raises his arms with the gun, but the body and arms float up bit, and he twirls the gun.(and his head). Here it is if you want it, you crazy person![:P]

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] victory.zip16.78 KB

Nebby
July 2, 2003, 5:19 pm
Bug: i have my soldat installed on d:

it doesn't like that.

BManx2000
July 2, 2003, 6:40 pm
Did you change the options configuration to d:\soldat? Or does it not work even then?

N1nj@
July 2, 2003, 9:20 pm
how do you change it?

TheKnightoftheMare
July 2, 2003, 9:30 pm
open the .ini

TheKnightoftheMare
July 2, 2003, 9:47 pm
for the next update can you have the prog select the new frame automatically when you add a new one?

szevvy
July 3, 2003, 1:22 am
New version, new link.

To change the config, either open up the options.ini or delete it, and PO(A) will ask you where soldat is installed and will recreate your options file.

TheKnightOftheMare: done.

gf: On mine, it loads that file without any problems. Does it load other files? Are you just having a problem with stands and barret?

Could someone get gf's file and tell me if it opens for them?

BManx2000: if you simply want to paste the current frame into the next, you can simply delete the next frame, select the one you want to copy, and click insert. This'll copy the current frame next to the current one, doing what you wanted in a roundabout sort of way. But yeah, I'll in some sort of copy/move thing.

CJC
July 3, 2003, 2:29 am
what exactly does this program do?

dstruct2k
July 3, 2003, 3:16 am
Animation editor.

szevvy
July 3, 2003, 3:59 am
OK, I need you guys to find some things out for me.

1. Does changing an animation change how it interacts with the world? i.e. if you make you dude float off the ground, can he get up on ledges he couldn't before?
2. Does changing an animation affect other players in a net game?
3. If the answer to the first one is yes, then does this affect other players in a net game?
4. How does changing the 'person' object (gostek.po) change how soldat draws it?

Would be mucho appreciated.

GF
July 3, 2003, 11:06 am
szevvy i have found the error

SERIAL KILLeR
July 3, 2003, 2:16 pm
I found a bug with files with commas(decimal points).(doesnt happen to everyone)
it doesnt recognize dots(.) as a comma.

but when i open the .poa file with an texteditor and use the function replace all "." by "," i can open the file with poaeditor.

[IMAGE]

[EDIT]!!!!!!!after u changed the .poa change the "," back to "." or the soldat menu wont work.

TheKnightoftheMare
July 3, 2003, 2:29 pm
Wont this new prog. allow new cheaters and abusers?

SERIAL KILLeR
July 3, 2003, 2:35 pm
dont think u can cheat much by changing animations.

TheKnightoftheMare
July 3, 2003, 2:52 pm
well editing gostek.po doesnt seem to change the way the soldier looks.Maybe SERIAL.

edit:

When I edit biega.poa (run) it happens to all the players in the server but they dont see it.I dont know if the damage gotten smaller to match my edit file.

SERIAL KILLeR
July 3, 2003, 3:13 pm
I dont think editing the animations effect anything but the looks.
Because they are only coordinates for the bmp files(i think).

BManx2000
July 3, 2003, 3:25 pm
Probably it doesn't affect online games because the server, with regular .poas, would register a hit even if it doesn't look like it on your screen with edited ones. Although it could be confusing. Hopefully none of the servers ever use edited poas, because I don't know what would happen then... The poas do seem to affect offline games, which allows you to cheat against bots [:)]

GF
July 3, 2003, 4:06 pm
for the bug with the commas
replace the comma with a point
[IMAGE]

N1nj@
July 3, 2003, 5:12 pm
hmm....

i think it will effect it man

example: turning the run animation to look like swimming, where the heads is face the front so it will easier to aim and damage the head.....

BManx2000
July 3, 2003, 6:36 pm
Well I think it would look like you hit the head, but to everybody lse it would prolly look like you hit them in the stomach, and it would look like that to the server as well I think, which is what counts right?

N1nj@
July 3, 2003, 6:47 pm
hmm..i dunno...i never tried it. i was just giving an example. i think someone should try it out.

if anyone want me to test with them. i m willing to.

N1nj@
July 3, 2003, 7:01 pm
nvm

szevvy
July 4, 2003, 3:27 am
Good god, what autosave on exit? O.o

edit: It only changes where bitmaps are drawn? Not really. If you make your dude float off the ground, then his bounding box changes. The same way if you change his right hand / right special then the gun would *probably* shoot from a different place to everyone else.

New version with seperator fix is up. Don't replace all your '.'s with ','s, as Soldat will probably not load. Also done a slight change to multi-select, and added a handy-dandy backup thing.

N1nj@
July 4, 2003, 8:59 pm
one problem...i tried restoring, it doesn't seem to work. After i press OK, the back-up window doesnt close for some reason....

szevvy
July 5, 2003, 1:59 am
Oops. Will fix.

N1nj@
July 5, 2003, 2:20 am
and i was wondering does the back-up works?

and also, for the next version, i think there should be a "check-all" for the back-up. so users don't have to check everything of them. or if they are lazy and don't know which one they messed up. they could just simply check "check all". and it will restore all of them from the back-up file.

i think it is just more convience. :)

eyic
July 5, 2003, 4:40 am
nice program dude ^_^
but im havign trouble makign things :P

szevvy
July 5, 2003, 8:46 am
THE BACKUP/RESTORE WORKS NOW, GET THE NEW FILE.

N1nj@: done a check all and check none. Good idea.

eyic: Yeah, I might do up a manual or such.

eyic
July 5, 2003, 9:01 am
yay, hope it comes otu soon ^_^

sauron_the_deceiver
July 5, 2003, 10:34 am
I tried editing the punching animation to make the soldat dude do a punch, then a left hook, then headbutt, but the file crashed my soldat and I had to replace it with the backup again...is it because the punching animation can't be edited because it affects other players (causing damage)?

m1nt ch3w
July 5, 2003, 11:10 am
I made my punch have inspector gadget arms.

eyic
July 5, 2003, 11:35 am
lol coooool!!

m1nt ch3w
July 5, 2003, 11:51 am
Next up - Go go gadget boots.

N1nj@
July 5, 2003, 2:36 pm
szevvy: thanks, i will keep coming come with more good ideas for you :)

i don't see the new donwload link.

szevvy
July 6, 2003, 4:18 am
N1nj@: It's just the same file. I've just made the change and re-uploaded.

Sauron: I've got no idea why...how many frames was it?

edit:

Sauron: have you still got the dodgy file? If so, upload it. I could simply turn off fullscreen and see what error message Soldat throws, and try to work from there.

edit2:

Could someone tell me if what I've called 'left ground point' and 'right ground point' is actually the toes?

sauron_the_deceiver
July 6, 2003, 2:09 pm
Szevvy: Nah I haven't, which is a shame. Like I said, I had to rewrite it to make the game work. And it was about double the amount of frames :P.

eyic
July 7, 2003, 1:03 am
hey szevvy, i put the POA Editor onto my site www.eyic.cjb.net and be really happy if signed guestbook, and commented on news ^_^

szevvy
July 7, 2003, 2:30 am
Eyic: done. Love the site! I keep getting a 'permission denied' error on line 169 whenever I open any page in your site, though.

eyic
July 7, 2003, 3:09 am
hmm dunno what the prob is.. :/

N1nj@
July 7, 2003, 3:17 pm
k...thanks

Cr4cK
July 9, 2003, 7:50 pm
lol............ why should i change the soldat animations?

Cr4cK
July 9, 2003, 7:51 pm
and the soldat animations are good ffs... RESPECT!

N1nj@
July 10, 2003, 3:10 am
if you dont want to change, [:-censored]ing dont and leave.

Nebby
July 14, 2003, 4:42 pm
"CANNOT PLAY WITH CHANGED ANIMATIONS, PLEASE RE-INSTALL THE GAME"

is the error i get when trying to play 1.1.5

looks like michael doesn't like people fuxing with anims after all =/

Tweak896
July 19, 2003, 6:09 am
it doesnt work ne more

Ddevil
July 19, 2003, 5:23 pm
it dosent work for me:(I-C

N1nj@
July 19, 2003, 8:46 pm
ya, i think michal did something to prevent cheats...

jerka
July 21, 2003, 9:54 pm
odd.... it works for me exept for the fact that i can only edit animations over the vaist. and i have .5

szevvy
July 23, 2003, 9:11 am
Yeah, I think Michal did it as he was afraid of exploits being created, somehow. Ah well, that was short but sweet :D

N1nj@
July 24, 2003, 8:48 pm
so this is program useless now....

szevvy
August 4, 2003, 3:42 am
'fraid so. :(

Inquisitor
September 28, 2003, 7:07 pm
it's not useless!!!
you can use your animations for games with bots or s.th like that.

sativa
October 30, 2003, 1:02 pm
thx dude this will help me with the making of my first new mod

NightCabbage
November 1, 2003, 10:42 am
sativa be careful, coz you can't play multiplayer with modified animations.

Meandor
November 1, 2003, 11:44 am
Should i delete this?

szevvy
January 9, 2004, 12:49 pm
Dear god, this post's still here :D

I don't think there is much point in editing animations anymore, hey...but whatever.

Meandor
January 9, 2004, 6:15 pm
Well, it's still interesting to play around with animations.. i was planning, if i ever get around it, to make an animation mod for 1.05b

sauron_the_deceiver
January 9, 2004, 7:48 pm
Come to think of it...can one of you two edit the title to say you can't mod animations anymore? Would be more newbie friendly.

szevvy
January 25, 2004, 2:35 am
quote:Originally posted by Meandor
Well, it's still interesting to play around with animations.. i was planning, if i ever get around it, to make an animation mod for 1.05b

How do you mean?

sauron_the_deceiver
January 25, 2004, 6:54 pm
AMMAGAD! GUYS!

Michal has fiddled around with anti-cheat and now you can use custom animations online! I expect hes made a system that soldier animation is clientside viewing, not general server information.

Yey! I love you for making this editor again, Szevvy!

Soldat 1.2 includes a new 'secret' animation (that everyone already knows), /mercy. This has two animations which are randomly used. I've had a look and these new animations are Samo and Samo2. Can you make version 0.3.3 with these included as Mercy and Mercy2?

BTW Meandor meant he was going to make a mod for Soldat verion 1.0.5b (arguably contendable with 1.1.5 and 1.2 for best version)

Meandor
January 25, 2004, 9:13 pm
uh nm =P

sauron_the_deceiver
January 27, 2004, 6:30 pm
Also, Soldat doesn't like you editing PO files, even though its fine with the POAs. You might want to include a warning...

_ammo_man_
March 8, 2004, 7:52 pm
Hi! I need Soldat POA editor! Can anyone give to me some links to download this program! Please! Thanks!

By _AMMO_MAN_

szevvy
March 20, 2004, 6:04 am
Give me a day or two to find the program and add those two new animations, k?

(btw, you're in luck - it's not written in Delphi, coz I don't do Delphi anymore and I'd have to port it over to laik c++ or something)

You sure it all works again? Well, hurrah, then!

edit: sorry for leaving you guys in the lurch for so long, but I didn't realise that my little program would ever have any use ever again...

edit2: anyone who has the program can add the following 6 lines to names.txt to add the 2 extra animation (or use the 'other' button, either way):

[code]
samo.poa
Mercy 1
Litosc 1
samo2.poa
Mercy 2
Litosc 2
[/code]

DrocK
March 20, 2004, 6:17 am
i'm kind of stuck here, should i use it?
does it [:-censored] up my online play or something?
or delete it? because i read its awesome and bad for online
so what should it be?

szevvy
March 20, 2004, 6:35 am
Look, it seems that it works with soldat 1.2 - but give me a day to bring it back to life, update it, and test it out.

At the end of the day, the editor has a 'restore' function which allows you to restore any files you've changed, so you can either use that or just re-install Soldat and all will be good. BUT if it works with the new soldat, then that won't be a problem.

Deleted User
March 22, 2004, 11:21 pm
NO.

Ok, soldat uses two types of files to do with animations. POAs and POs. POAs are the animations that are used for running, reloading and stuff, and if you change them, the game lets you use them online (even though no-one else can see them). POs are the shape of objects themselves, like the soldier and the flags etc. If you mess with these, you will NOT be able to play online with that soldat install ever again.

Don't touch the POs. And when you use the auto restore, DO NOT SELECT THE PO FILES TO BE RESTORED. THIS COUNTS AS EDITING THE FILES AND WILL SCREW YOUR SOLDAT FOR ONLINE PLAY.

In fact, install soldat to a fresh folder before you use this program at all.

szevvy
March 23, 2004, 2:01 am
I'll fix this in the next one, .po's won't be included in backup.

N1nj@
March 23, 2004, 2:04 am
Can't wait for your program to be out. How long you think it will take for you to release the next version? [not the exact date, but maybe the approximate period]

szevvy
March 24, 2004, 1:29 am
Assignments are piling on, so maybe a week...

edit: more like 4 days, actually

szevvy
March 25, 2004, 12:36 am
*double post, sorry*

Ummmm...looking back at the code, there is no way in hell that restoring from the backup could possibly work. I really rogered it up...so, uh, don't use it. Fixed in the new one, tho - which is finished, but I'm waiting for Michal to get back to me about some stuff (like max number of frames in animations, how the client handles big animations, etc), so once that happens 0.4 will be out.

Oh, and once the new one comes out, could

a) everyone who's hosting it please update, and
b) I'll start up a new topic, this one's like 4 pages of "szevvy, I get errors", and me going "crap, i did it wrong" - so could this one be locked, unsticked and the new one stickied (if you consider it worthy?) - not yet tho.

Meandor
March 25, 2004, 12:07 pm
Sure, this would be one of the most important modding tools once used properly.
As for hosting you can contact me.

N1nj@
March 26, 2004, 1:10 am
I could also help you out with hosting.

SanityAssassin
March 26, 2004, 1:21 am
ill throw it onto my verizon page..i really only use it to store some avatars..so it should have room...ill give you the url once i upload it

SanityAssassin
March 26, 2004, 1:29 am
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1wjko/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/poaeditor_032.zip

there ya go...i got it shoved onto my verizon homepage...i dont use the page for much of anything other than storing of avatar images...so rest assured itll be there for quite some time

szevvy
March 26, 2004, 2:22 am
What I meant more was that those who are already hosting update when the new one comes out, but thanks anyway, any extra mirrors are prolly good.