( search forums )
Commanding your troops...
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Centipeed
December 31, 2003, 11:57 am
I am brand new here, and I just registered so I could post this... I couldn't find any mention of it on the first page so I thought I would do a post on it [:D]

Anywho, I think it would be neat if, in singleplayer games with bots, you could command them to do things... Like in unreal tournament or something... I hate it when all the bots rush off to get the enemy flag and leave me to defend the base, I wish I could just tell one or two of them to stay there, while I go off and kick ass...

Anywho, that's my input for 1.2...

SOLDAT RULES!

HOBBES
December 31, 2003, 1:10 pm
Yes, it would be useful. Welcome to forum Centipeed.

juice _ box
December 31, 2003, 1:28 pm
Bots allready have trouble following waypoints and buttoning thier pants. Somthing like this would be complicated.

Gaah
December 31, 2003, 1:42 pm
But simple commands like camp, I mean the bot would only have to go prone or something. Protect the flag wouldn't be that hard either

peemonkey
December 31, 2003, 4:34 pm
what id like to tell them:
wait
defend
attack
follow me
follow ____
camp
get flag
then my 1338 bots would be able to take the blue flag, and stroll off calmly, leaving the thinking to the humans.

liquidis x snake
December 31, 2003, 5:07 pm
Of course, this wouldn't work without proper waypoints and we all know that the MapMaker waypoint system is teh suk. I suggest we wait for a better MapMaker (support my thread!) to implement a better waypoint system, because I love the idea of commanding your troops.

Sithak
December 31, 2003, 6:37 pm
could idea man i mean i hte playing ctf and bots rush and im siting there by my self.

it would make the game kinda like socom if u could tell ppl to do something.

Centipeed
January 1, 2004, 1:25 pm
Glad you all like my input... If you can't command your team then it just isn't the same... every one of your bots has the same objective drilled into their heads at the moment

3rd_account
January 1, 2004, 6:00 pm
Yea, great idea! Then you'd get the feeling that you are a Major and the bots are your silly Privates.

bLaStEr
January 1, 2004, 6:15 pm
Heh, that would be pretty funny. Commanding those like somekind of general :]

Droopy
January 1, 2004, 6:21 pm
It would be cool.

Thank you.

peemonkey
January 1, 2004, 6:38 pm
you wouldnt need new waypoints,LxS. you'd use bot cmd:/ thingys. like, you sayto one, follow me, then he could just act like you got the flag, then, if you want him to go low instead of high, you go there, he follows you down, then you release him.
and for "camp here", the bot'd just go prone, chill there, a snipe dem foos commin up on him.

maybe you would need alternate waypoints for "defend"...theyd have to get in position and all, on stat guns, behind the flag, etc.
WE NEED THIS!!!!

LiL_FuKa
January 1, 2004, 8:53 pm
I support it.

Gaah
January 2, 2004, 12:17 am
Then we could have bot clans!!! It would be good, when used with the Bot Maker, to make say, a sniper bot, and then tell him to camp, or an assault bot, who uses the AK or Aug, and tell him to follow you. Then you could make your own assault team. Yeh! Go bot commands!

Silent-Thunder
January 2, 2004, 5:51 am
Thats a great idea, now bots will actually be useful in combat instead of being a pain and walking directly into battle.

Weed
January 2, 2004, 2:12 pm
well
it could be usefull if getting to the red base from the blue flag took more time.
i think it takes in the big maps (run, b2b) like 5 seconds to get there....
it would take u the same time to write the commands... u will get pissed off in the middle of typing the command, u would press enter on /follo... and will get ur flag stolen....
but ey, thats just me ;)

peemonkey
January 2, 2004, 5:39 pm
uuhh.....weed.....taunts list? that's what i thought.

Centipeed
January 2, 2004, 10:36 pm
Best thing to do would either be to press something like "v" to make a little menu pop up, like in Unreal Tournament... Or you could just bind them seperately to the F1, F2 etc. keys... So F1 might be attack, F2 defend etc... Then a menu might pop up for you to select what bot to do that... And you would still be able to play while that menu was up, so that you could do it in the heat of battle... pressing 1 could be a Billy, and pressing 2 could be Admiral, or whoever is on your team, etc...

gunny
January 3, 2004, 12:06 am
quote:Originally posted by Silent-Thunder
Thats a great idea, now bots will actually be useful in combat instead of being a pain and walking directly into battle.

exactly, they are no help at all
i love the freindly fire button....

Duke33
January 22, 2004, 2:17 am
I fully support this. At the beginning of last summer some guy was going to try to make something similar to this, but nothing ever happened. So it has my support.

toadsMoke
January 22, 2004, 5:54 am
Yeah, I know what you mean Centipeed. I think this is a really good idea, and not too difficult to implement. Think about it, the defend command could cause the bots just to random run between waypoints in close proximity to the flag... With the camp command, the bot(s) could crawl and camp between two or three waypoints... If Michal was to program one of the other commands peemonkey suggested, then he could program them all, I imagine. =)

peemonkey
January 22, 2004, 6:05 am
peemonkey is a savage, indeed!
I was hoping to see even little bot advance in this version, that's where ive been hit the hardest with dissapointment. I love those bots lke my kids.

Roy
January 22, 2004, 8:13 pm
Solution: Play online against humans. ;)

DarkSSJ3
January 23, 2004, 9:43 pm
great idea

redscitle
January 24, 2004, 9:09 am
quote:Originally posted by peemonkey
you wouldnt need new waypoints,LxS. you'd use bot cmd:/ thingys. like, you sayto one, follow me, then he could just act like you got the flag, then, if you want him to go low instead of high, you go there, he follows you down, then you release him.
and for "camp here", the bot'd just go prone, chill there, a snipe dem foos commin up on him.

maybe you would need alternate waypoints for "defend"...theyd have to get in position and all, on stat guns, behind the flag, etc.
WE NEED THIS!!!!

I like this idea of commanding bots. And with PeeMonkey's idea of telling the bot to go high or low, is great, because when WP's split off, they are chosed randomly. And one other person mentioned PeeMonkey's post. Great Idea!