( search forums )
Moderation
Soldat Forums - Misc - Forum News and Support
Xalion
January 2, 2004, 12:32 pm
People should learn that a forum isn't = chat. It's annoying to scroll through tons of crap when you browse the forum. Most of the posts are the same, and alot of topics go offtopic.
I also think that there should be made more topic archivations. It would help improve the site preformance. I don't think that people checks ½ year old topics anyway.
Another annoying thing is the sound in the login. It takes forever to login, and it wouldn't be the end of the site if it was removed.

Just my oppinion.

DNA.styx
January 2, 2004, 12:47 pm
People should learn that a forum isn't = chat. It's annoying to scroll through tons of crap when you browse the forum. Most of the posts are the same, and alot of topics go offtopic.
Welcome to the joys of a public forum :)
Use the flag option beside a post/thread if you think it's OT and a moderator will step in.

I also think that there should be made more topic archivations. It would help improve the site preformance. I don't think that people checks ½ year old topics anyway.
I tend to just archive busy forums, I'll aplly a archive rull to all the forums and see how that effect performance.

Another annoying thing is the sound in the login. It takes forever to login, and it wouldn't be the end of the site if it was removed.
yea, the log in time was bumped up to 5 secs when I added the Xmas jingle, time to remove it I think

Xalion
January 2, 2004, 12:52 pm
It takes about 60 sec for me to login. It's a nice idea with the sound tho.

DNA.styx
January 2, 2004, 1:05 pm
not sure why it would take that long, what happens?

FYI: The loading page was set to stay up for 5 seconds (now 2 seconds) to give the login sound time to play.

Xalion
January 2, 2004, 1:22 pm
It loads in a couple of seconds, sits around, and plays the sound after 45 sec.
Might just be my computer that's acting that way, but maybe you should make sure and make a poll about it?

Also, I can't login when i click the link from the Soldat page.

DNA.styx
January 2, 2004, 1:24 pm
I'll bet you're running someone sort of firewall software that's blocking refer links...the logged in page check to see if you have come from the log in page otherwise it returns you back to the log in page :) It to stop script kiddies trying to guess folks passwords...

Xalion
January 2, 2004, 1:29 pm
Ive disabled it. Ohh... might also be a good idea to let people know that the site uses popup and stuff like that :)
There's alot of people using firewalls, and if they can't use the site, it's kinda bad.

DNA.styx
January 2, 2004, 3:52 pm
might also be a good idea to let people know that the site uses popup
Yes, that's a bit of the site I developed before pop-up killers invaded. I must re-write it...Someday...You'll be doing the same on http://www.soldathq.tk/ then >;-)

There's alot of people using firewalls, and if they can't use the site, it's kinda bad.
Firewalls are fine, it's just the moronic descision of firewall makers telling people that refer links are evil, the same happened 4/5 years ago with cookies...

Xalion
January 2, 2004, 5:08 pm
I made the popup on request.... I HATE popups... they are slow, use alot of taskbar space, small and ugly... really... Think I'll make a popup option in the user profile... hmm...
Cookies are also more or less a no no today, since some goverments decided to forbid automatic installation of 'em.

Ohh... another feature the forum miss is a RSS feeder. It would be nice to monitor threads in your news reader.
Also, the border on the webring should be removed, or people should have the option to customize the output.

DNA.styx
January 2, 2004, 7:34 pm
Ohh... another feature the forum miss is a RSS feeder. It would be nice to monitor threads in your news reader.
Link

Also, the border on the webring should be removed, or people should have the option to customize the output.
I don't want to add any client side options to the webring navbar else folks may try to hide it using black on blakc etc. I have made a couple of other webring designs, but the current one suits best (even if it's a bit too webring.com) If anyone fancies redesigning it I'm open to suggestions.

Xalion
January 2, 2004, 8:08 pm
What i ment in the RSS feeder were that you could subscribe to topics, and it would add them to your own custom RSS feeder. Atleast it could be split up into sections of the board. It would reduce site load alot, when people don't "enter" the forum all the time, just to look at posts in their favorite forum.

It should be easy to make a "custom" layout maker for the webring. You could have a form with 5-10 layouts, where you can choose border, hide image, show short...

DNA.styx
January 2, 2004, 8:16 pm
What i ment in the RSS feeder were that you could subscribe to topics, and it would add them to your own custom RSS feeder.
Naw, sounds like a wee bit too much like hard work :)

I must re-write it...Someday
I've added a bit of code that detects if the pop-up window has indeed opened. Will tidy it up further. Click here with javascript disabled or your pop-up blocker on

Xalion
January 2, 2004, 8:23 pm
Hard work? Naah... Wouldn't take long to make a function which could make feeder for every forum.
You make a function which collected all the forum IDs and made the xlm files in a xml dir.

DNA.styx
January 2, 2004, 8:26 pm
Sure, let me know how you get on with it ;)

Xalion
January 2, 2004, 8:35 pm
Ok... You want me to make it for you? :)
Not that hard... make a function/stored procedure that loops through all the forums and collect their ID. Use that ID to make a select statement in your ASP page... Hmm... Dunno if a RSS reader could use querystrings to select forum data?
If they are able to use querystrings then you only need to modify a couple of lines in the rssfeed. Bet it ain't that easy :/

Hitman
January 2, 2004, 8:53 pm
Wow, a whole Chat session just with Dna, lol. Do you know Xalion personally Dna?

CardBoardWarrior
January 2, 2004, 9:36 pm
Someone tell me what a newsreader is...??

And btw, get it right. His name is either styx or stizzyx (lol), not DNA.

R
January 2, 2004, 9:40 pm
i doubt they would have a conversation on the forum if they actually knew each other

Hitman
January 3, 2004, 3:04 pm
Yeah good point.

I have always called him DNA. But if he likes to be called styx, then I'll call him that. Lol B.itch!

Xalion
January 3, 2004, 3:25 pm
This is what i mean by topic moderation. People start talking about all kind of crap that isn't related to Soldat.

And by the way, Ive made the forum group rss feed thingy...

?
January 3, 2004, 3:45 pm
i call him dan....

DNA.styx
January 3, 2004, 4:13 pm
Hush now you lot....

forum group rss feed thingy
Sure make a new thread post it & some waffle as to newsreaders etc.

Xalion
January 3, 2004, 4:15 pm
waffle what what now? Want me to post the feed source?

DNA.styx
January 3, 2004, 4:18 pm
naw, was thinking about how people can use the news feed, some folks will not know what it is...I've not used one activly for ages..

Xalion
January 3, 2004, 4:26 pm
How they can use it? They could add "Clan Recruitment", and it would list the content of that in www.trillian.cc or Miranda IM.
This would keep people from entering the forum unless there's anything to look at.

[IMAGE]

Another usefull function is to add the rss syndication on a clan website, where they could list the latest map posts (requires a forum for map releases).

Well... just a thought...