( search forums )
Michal Marcinkowski interview with PinoyBattle.net
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
R
January 2, 2004, 9:58 pm
Here's an interview i found that includes Michal Marcinkowski and a person from pinoybattle.net. It is pretty interesting ;)

Aryeh: Good evening sir.

michalm@poczta.fm: Hello

Aryeh: It was an honor sir of giving me the time to meet up with you sir.]

michalm@poczta.fm: Well thank you, call me Michal

Aryeh: And you can call me Aryeh, Michal.
Aryeh: So Michal, can we start with the interview? =)

michalm@poczta.fm: Sure

Aryeh: Okay...
Aryeh: Well, Michal how did you came out with Soldat?

michalm@poczta.fm: It was in 2001, I played a lot of Half-Life Day of Defeat mod. I wanted to make myself a multiplayer game. I am the only person in my programming team so I had to think of a simple game to make. So I thought about a game with a couple of guys that shoot each other on simple 2d arenas. And I started coding.

Aryeh: so Half-Life was your influence of how you manage to start with your project eh? =)

michalm@poczta.fm: I play Day of Defeat to this day. And it still influences my game.

Aryeh: Tried Counter-strike? =)

michalm@poczta.fm: Well you could think that I love CS but no. I don't like it:) The realistic weapons were brought probably from Jagged Alliance and other games like that I used to play.

Aryeh: Oh... =)
Aryeh: Oh Michal, how old are you and where you from? =)

michalm@poczta.fm: I'm 18 and I live in Poland, Europe ;0

Aryeh: So young... now am starting to feel old... :-Z :-)
Aryeh: What were you using for making the project? VB? C++?

michalm@poczta.fm: I'm using the greatest programming tool ever created - Borland Delphi (well for me, cause I only know Pascal language:) ) For the graphics and sounds I use various freeware/shareware tools.

Aryeh: I played the game first hand, Michal, and boy , it was a best alternative other than the first person shooter game, and of course, its cute and funny to see people shooting each other at the manner of being 2d... ^_^;;
Aryeh: so what made you choose to use a 2d environment rather than the first person as like to of HL?

michalm@poczta.fm: Hehe, I chose it not because I'm nostalgic about older times but because its simpler. A single man can't make a fully playable 3d game in 1 year. People often think that 2d games are more playable because they are 2d. That isn't right. 2d games just don't have much to offer more than the playability so the developer concentrates very much on gameplay during the making of a 2d game.
michalm@poczta.fm: If you make a 3d game you must work harder on the graphics and stuff.

Aryeh: Yes.
Aryeh: But Michal, I have to ask, but you are some kind of a one man army programmer for all of this? I mean, you don't have a team do you...?

michalm@poczta.fm: Just me. Except the lobby server code and the game music.

Aryeh: wow. awesome. =)
Aryeh: If am not mistaken, the project was already on its 1.5 release right? ever planned to improve the game later on to the coming future?

michalm@poczta.fm: I'm making a new version since September now. It will totally rock da house. Currently in beta phase. I'm planning to release it soon.

Aryeh: Well I for one, will be sure waiting for it, Michal. =)

michalm@poczta.fm: Wow not only you. I have much pressure from the fans:)

Aryeh: *politely laughs*
Aryeh: By the way, Michal, as we all know lots of underground communites have made hacks and cheats over any games that exist - and they somehow managed to target your project - is there being done currently about it?

michalm@poczta.fm: In version 1.0.5b there are NO anti cheat/hack protections. Everyone can hack it very easily. I didn't do any protections cause I wanted to make the game first. The popularity of Soldat grew very high and as a consequence of that the dark side of online gaming grew with it. Well, now that I've done the game in the next release there will be anti-cheat protection. We'll see how it will work.

Aryeh: =)
Aryeh: So Michal, what can you say for those other programmers out there who wanted to follow your path by becoming fast famous with their own projects?

michalm@poczta.fm: Don't do it. Write a book or do something intelligent. It's a horrible job a programmer:) But if you really want to make your own game heres my advice: Think of a game that you always wanted to play and throw that idea to the trash:) Now think of a game that you can do and accomplish. No matter how simple that game will be make sure to make it your way. Be original but try to influence yourself
michalm@poczta.fm: with other master games, movies.

Aryeh: In behalf of the Pinoybattle.net community, Michal, we congratulate you for making a successful game that had already made out of fans and followers on it and we wish you the best of luck for the further success of the Soldat project. =)

michalm@poczta.fm: Thanks and I would like to thank you for playing the game.

Aryeh: Again, Michal, thank you for giving us the time on managing to have a chat with you sir. =)
Aryeh: It was a pleasure chatting with you, sir. =)
Aryeh: And an honor, Michal. =)

=)

Liber_Lupus
January 2, 2004, 10:14 pm
some things are same as in selfkill interview.

Tha Doggfather
January 2, 2004, 10:17 pm
lol that Aryeh must think Michal is a god, hes so polite :)

BMF
January 2, 2004, 10:39 pm
old news

wormdundee
January 2, 2004, 10:42 pm
hes an interviewer type guy, he has to be polite

it was quite similar to a normal tv interview i think, but anyways, how old was that? cuz he was talking about 1.05b which is quite a ways back

fabmanx
January 2, 2004, 10:48 pm
Aryeh: wow. awesome. =)
Aryeh: If am not mistaken, the project was already on its 1.5 release right? ever planned to improve the game later on to the coming future?

michalm@poczta.fm: I'm making a new version since September now. It will totally rock da house. Currently in beta phase. I'm planning to release it soon.

I guess it aint that old of an interview :)

n00bface
January 2, 2004, 10:59 pm
fabmanx, people called 1.1.5 1.5... so I'm sure people could also mistake 1.0.5 for 1.5? [:P]

?
January 2, 2004, 10:59 pm
yeah thats pretty cool

fabmanx
January 2, 2004, 11:02 pm
Hmm just realized that n00bface...guess im the newb now, teehe :D

n00bface
January 2, 2004, 11:10 pm
Nah I know you're actually right because he said 1.0.5b was released in September, right? o.O And he's been working on a new version since september, but he talks about it like there's already a new version with anti-cheat that has been released since then.. There's still plenty more evidence but I don't wanna skim through the interview again to prove something that's obvious and has pretty much already been proven [:P] I just posted that tuh make people think [:D]

wert21
January 2, 2004, 11:13 pm
Uh, 18 years old, i didn't know it!! My god is younger than me, fine...[:D][:D]

Cookie.
January 2, 2004, 11:34 pm
hmm i must program a leet game in the next 2 years :D

b00stA
January 2, 2004, 11:41 pm
http://www.selfkill.com/webv2/content/cms.php?action=showdetails&id=163&title=Frequently%20Asked%20Questions

Another/newer interview with Michal.

R
January 2, 2004, 11:46 pm
yes..i would hope we all know of the selfkill interview, i was just looking around soldat sites and found this one, and thought it would be interesting for everybody to see =)

Aquarius
January 3, 2004, 12:14 am
quote:
from selfkill:
What is your full Name?
- Michal Marcinkowski
Your Birthday?
- 05-24-1984

MM was born 3 days before me!!! Oh... and 3 years later than me. Well... nobody is perfect [;)]

eyic
January 3, 2004, 12:19 am
Selfkill's interview is better :)

Sekushi
January 3, 2004, 6:26 am
*politely laughs*

juice _ box
January 3, 2004, 8:01 am
Uhh what was the point of that interview?

Hercule Poirot
January 3, 2004, 8:29 am
Sir yes sir :P

xaNox.Xero
January 3, 2004, 10:12 am
Cool,18 old is realy young...

ThaD
January 3, 2004, 10:46 am
Aryeh will never be a decent journalist...

that fuking sniper
January 3, 2004, 12:58 pm
By the interviewer's name and grasp on English, I deduce he's Israelie or something... :S

And I think this was back with 1.0.5b, not 1.1.5.

When he was developing 1.1.0, there was a big pressure on him also, and he did start that at September, however, 1.1.6/1.2 didnt start last September, more like June or May...

Mr G
January 3, 2004, 7:10 pm
quote:Well, now that I've done the game in the next release there will be anti-cheat protection. We'll see how it will work.

"in the next realse there WILL be anti-cheat" that is the proof, the interview is from the 1.0.5b era

Sekushi
January 4, 2004, 3:48 am
Wow, Michal is young. :/

y0da
January 4, 2004, 10:15 am
quote:Originally posted by juice _ box
Uhh what was the point of that interview?

more info for soldatfans? don't know... i like the both. both have infos.