( search forums )
smileys anyone?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
morpheus
January 3, 2004, 2:39 am
instead of :) ;) and :)~ why not add real emoticons?

[IMAGE]

what do you guys think?

Spike
January 3, 2004, 2:48 am
omg thats a great idea maybe if there was a way to have a taunt and a smiley or some type of animation went over your soldats head!

?
January 3, 2004, 2:50 am
this is waht soldat needs now more then ever

Yin_Starrunner
January 3, 2004, 2:59 am
^
|
I agree

eyic
January 3, 2004, 4:15 am
yeh this idea pwns, but the smilies gotta be smaller a tiny bit

juice _ box
January 3, 2004, 5:19 am
Waste of time.

_z1g
January 3, 2004, 5:25 am
l0l g00d idea =)

b00stA
January 3, 2004, 2:03 pm
omg yes!! I really want to express my EMOTIONS when I KILL someone!
Like.. I /piss on you do some

Aquarius
January 3, 2004, 2:07 pm
It wouldnt lag. :) would automatically change into [:D] on client side. And it would be possible to turn off graphical emoticons in options or at least in soldat.ini file. When turned off, it would appear as simple text :)

However, I think that it is not the most important idea for the next version 1.3.

morpheus
January 3, 2004, 2:18 pm
lag???? omfg, how the hell did you come up with that? it's CLIENT SIDE, as aquarius pointed out.

n/a
January 3, 2004, 2:29 pm
Absolutely a 'NO' :)

Why?

A lot of people should have already noticed that the text above a 'soldat/soldier' is quite annoying for other players. Sometimes, with long phrases, you can't see a part of the map (where possible ennemies could hide!).
When my screen will be filled up with those yellow tennisballs who seems to represent emotional feelings for some of you, i guess playing will be very unpleasantly...

Just imagine that a smart-guy flood the server with

" [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D] "

what you can quite expect, cause it's a well-known form of communication in this forum. And the forum-people are the same people who ... yes, you got it.

This is a 'nono' !

b00stA
January 3, 2004, 2:32 pm
OMFOGMGOGMGMGMGOGM
Please, continue misinterpreting my posts :)
I was talking about the netcode. Michal should rather improve the netcode than implement graphical smilies in a 2D multiplayer shooter.

Michal, if you're gonna do that, then, PLEASE, make it an option >:)

Inquisitor
January 3, 2004, 2:52 pm
Wouldn't take much time to implement this [:-censored], but michal should rather add other features like water or editable weapons. (by an extra file for each weapon).

palloco
January 3, 2004, 3:09 pm
I dont like this, this is a game, not a IRC

b00stA
January 3, 2004, 3:42 pm
quote:Originally posted by palloco
I dont like this, this is a game, not a IRC

palloco, IRC clients usually don't support graphical smilies ;)

Only instant messengers like MSN, ICQ, etc.
Thank god, mIRC doesn't support it :>

Senniant
January 3, 2004, 4:53 pm
There are a few kinds of lag (in my book). Depending on when and how you apply it makes it obvious on what kind of lag it is refering to.

Now, it is only obvious that a simple emoticon will not create server lag, but however, it could reduce the performance, and create cpu lag (client lag) or whatever you want to call it.

I personally feel if emoticons are added, then there should be an option to turn off all emoticons client side only. I do not wish to see annoying faces. I get annoyed just seeing people who log on starcraft, diablo 2, and many other online games only to converse with others.

NightCabbage
January 7, 2004, 9:46 am
Me no like this idea.

I like little text smileys :)

LOL

^_^

=D

:P

^^

juice _ box
January 7, 2004, 7:26 pm
Whats the [:-censored]ing point.

y0da
January 7, 2004, 9:18 pm
^^^agree whit moooOOOpheus :]^^^

TIR_Blade
January 7, 2004, 11:30 pm
1 problem in my book, what about clans? I mean, when im on msn talking bout clans sometimes their tags turn into smileys, that would suck, like S : S turned into S(tongue smiley). Just keep it simple.

Also, People would make smileys their names, that would be gay...

?
January 8, 2004, 9:31 pm
so people make "yourself" and "a jew" also "your mother" their names, whats wrong with a smiley

Senniant
January 9, 2004, 12:16 am
Play the game for what it already has and leave anything that does no improve soldats gameplay OUT.

While i do not support this idea, i do however support that if it does come to be, make it an option. I already leave games because of sniping freaks ruining a good death match game. I dont want to leave because some people would rather [:D] [:D] than play the game.

Also, ive been on the internet before emoticons even came around, im a fan of the classics.

?
January 9, 2004, 12:19 am
quote:Also, ive been on the internet before emoticons even came around, im a fan of the classics.
umm, yeah.. you get a cookie?

Senniant
January 9, 2004, 1:04 am
I am so happy that you can share your enthusiasm for my last comment, but save it for the bash pit.

Edit - With to for.. :P