( search forums )
Database
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Xalion
January 3, 2004, 11:42 pm
It would be nice with a database for all the game configurations (taunts, lobby, player info, logfile) or atleast an auto updater for the lobby server.

Ohh... and a favorit server list! [^]

?
January 4, 2004, 12:49 am
for favorite server list use ase, also ase would solve your lobby server problem

b00stA
January 4, 2004, 12:59 am
quote:Originally posted by Xalion
It would be nice with a database for all the game configurations (taunts, lobby, player info, logfile)
I don't understand what you mean.. how would it work? A database with taunts and logfiles? o_O
or atleast an auto updater for the lobby server.

How would this work? The auto updater had to check a certain server for a new IP, ok, BUT what happens when this server is down too? ;)
I think it'd be best if Michal did something like "lobby.soldat.pl" and forward it to the lobby server.
Ohh... and a favorit server list! [^]

Go to your Soldat directory and open the file fav_servers.txt, you can add the IPs of your fav. servers there :)
Too bad you can't add comments..

Xalion
January 4, 2004, 1:35 am
For people who don't use ASE it's kinda annoying to use the server list.
It should save the last server you were on in the dropdown (where you enter the server IP), or even have another page for fav servers (stats, comments and such). I don't want to go edit txt docs.
If i didn't know how to use notepad, then i couldn't play the game!
You should be able to edit all this wonderfull features IN the game, just like any other normal setups.

Auto updater: Updates the game whenever there's updates to download (DOH!)
That would allow Michal to make a minor ajustment, without thousands of people should download the game again.
If the auto update site is down, there should be a mirrow for it (included in the game)

Database: Should contain all the custom stuff in the game. Would be more fun. It's easy to backup, and run faster.

Im lazy, i know.

frogboy
January 4, 2004, 1:37 am
quote:How would this work? The auto updater had to check a certain server for a new IP, ok, BUT what happens when this server is down too? ;)
The lobby server server is down. Come back later or specify another update server.

Xalion
January 4, 2004, 1:46 am
Things should be automatic. Nobody want to copy/paste a server IP if the program could do it for them.
I can't think of any other game where you have to specify a server IP in a txt file.

frogboy
January 4, 2004, 1:56 am
Yeah, if the update server is down (made a typo in the original message), it asks you to specify a different update server.

Xalion
January 4, 2004, 2:03 am
nono... there should be 4-6 mirrows hardcoded in the game. If one of 'em is down, it'll try the next server.
It would spare the forum for the thousands of error posts related to the lobby server (even tho is's listed on the front page and in the forum)

frogboy
January 4, 2004, 2:06 am
Okay. So what if all of them go down, like what happened with blaster?

TIR_Blade
January 4, 2004, 3:34 pm
sounds like ur just lazy to me.

Xalion
January 4, 2004, 4:12 pm
Im lazy, i know.

Ehh... Are you sure Im just lazy?
If all the servers go down then there should be a backup form input in the game. Arrg... Do i have to think of every little detail? [:P]