( search forums )
New map: Dragonwar
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
paranoID
November 25, 2002, 8:31 pm
Originally intended for a map making contest I found somewhere... but I forgot where and I didn't find it again (maybe the site is down at the moment, there are quite a few mapping sites down now [:D])

It is a fast paced 3vs3 (or even 2vs2) ctf map, involving 2 dragonheads and a few midair rocks.
It has bot support (if you look at it in an editor and wonder why there are so many waypoints read here but be sure to read the replys to learn why I wouldn't do so again :)
If you play against bots, don't use the two ways at the top of the map (the bots have no waypoints there ( I ran out of waypoints and nerves [:D])). *UPDATE* You can use them in the new version *UPDATE*
Be sure to enable the invisibility power, it adds special challenge not to use the jetpack and just jump through the whole map (and also the ways at the top open new possibilities then [8)] )
I know that the grenades tend to fly through the walls at some places, but I don't know anything I can do against it :)
That's it for now: rip it apart, maybe I'll do some bugfixes :)

*UPDATED VERSION!!*
Download Attachment: [IMAGE] ctf_dragonwar.zip29.67 KB

Download Attachment (Old version, just for the funny waypoints [:D] ): [IMAGE] ctf_dragonwar.zip30.27 KB

a screenshot:

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] dragonwar1.jpg10.5 KB

paranoID
November 25, 2002, 8:55 pm
I found the contest... and even worse: its in this board [:I]
But: it was one of the sites I couldn't reach...
Well, as this was my first map I surely couldn't stand a chance anyway...

ArcWolf
November 25, 2002, 10:31 pm
OMFG!!!! the pathing!!! man you are a machine! no way! you worked your self overtime on this map... and this is your first.. DUDE! ... insane... thats the only word for it... INSANE! This waypoint design would have been twice as hard if we only had the official map editor... Lucky you can learn waypointing on map editor pro ... You could have done so much more if you had not wasted your waypoints... UHG! :) ... well, I got to say one thing, you have patience thats for sure. ... Carpel Tunnel... need a new mouse? keep that up and you will ... lol ... nice map design though. You should consider applying for SMG.

Psyl3ntShad0w
November 25, 2002, 11:08 pm
this map is the shiznits~ very nice :) that is insanely good :)

Edit: those are some crazy @$$ waypoints :) i think u might win the map contest...thats VERY good...nice shading :) cool dragon :) how long did this take you?

Edit#2: you should submit your map to the link below my sig. it'll get more people playing it...and before you know it, you will see it under the servers list :)

Edit#3: found some problems, i can walk into polys :( hope u can fix'em.

ExMortis
November 26, 2002, 12:39 am
Very very impressive visually, although it seems like there's several terrain snags that could be fixed?

Flanagan
November 26, 2002, 2:13 am
Nice F***ing map mano. Wow. I am impressed. Definatley enter to contest and apply for SMG. You will have to make a new map for the SMG application, but it's f*ckin' awesome. Wow.

SimdroneX
November 26, 2002, 2:47 am
Waypoints are MAD! The dragons look awsome! Mabye sometime you could take those sk311z and make two WHOLE dragons, a red and a blue. I think that if you changed the background to dark yellow or something it would improve the contrast a lot.

PS-
Ex Mortis, did u make that avatar? If so, you should check out [URL]

paranoID
November 26, 2002, 5:13 pm
Thanks for the nice comments!!
Oh yes the waypoints took me a lot of time (spend the whole sunday on it! :) and I nearly stopped in the middle because the bots never did what I wanted [:D] but then I tried placing several waypoints instead of one and it worked somehow :) (I'll try ArcWolfs poly path method on my next one, will save me a lot of time :)
The poly design didn't actually take that long (around 1 hour)

Psylent: Places where you can walk through? I know there are places where grenades sometimes fly through, but I thought I fixed all the walk throughs... have to have a look again...
Btw: does anybody know what I can do against those Grenade-fly-through-wall places? I tried it with additional polys over the edges, didn't work... (places are: especially in the dragon heads and in those two holes in the ground)

ArcWolf
November 26, 2002, 6:10 pm
Use the new official map editor... OH my bad :) its not out yet :) lol, I think you are going to have to wait till the next version comes out to have those bugs fixed.

ArcWolf's Poly Path method. WoW nice ring to it. Cool, from now on thats what I will call it.
<makes note of name> The ArcWolf's Poly Path method (APPM)... lol! wicked cool!

Apro
November 26, 2002, 7:52 pm
LOL! That looks just like my first map ctf_dragons!!! Only better [:D]! Well you haven't copied my ideas, as Meitzi and I are the only people who have seen my version... I didn't publish it as it was impossible to bot... And how did you run out of 500 waypoints?

paranoID
November 27, 2002, 5:21 pm
I fixed the grenades falling through the ground at the bottom holes (simply made the overlapping polys bigger, you'll see when I post the updated version) but in the dragon head it still flies through the walls most of the time...
I started redoing my waypoints so that I have enough left for the top way.. it's not as time consuming as I thought, but I'm optimizing my waypoints, expect the bots to rule ya all [;)]
quote:And how did you run out of 500 waypoints?
If you put 5 points instead of one to ensure the bot is hitting it, you'll run out of waypoints easily :)

I just read that quote:IV) Published maps may be submitted. so I'm gonna try my luck when I'm finished optimizing the map...
And I'd love to join SMG, already thinking of a new map to apply :)

Abortion
November 28, 2002, 5:00 am
Excellent

Muff_Daddy
November 30, 2002, 6:47 am
i love this map, one of the best ctfs i have on my computer right now :D

Apro
November 30, 2002, 11:43 am
You ain't having much ctfs, are you? Just kidding [:D]... Only things annoying me are that sometimes I get a weird spawning bug and that the spikes on the roof are solid...

mak89gt
November 30, 2002, 5:13 pm
its kewl! it rox! never seen such a good map! well, i have, but this is my second fav!

mak89gt
November 30, 2002, 5:21 pm
nah, dont like it anymore, im bored. but it wauz nice while it lasted........

Muff_Daddy
December 1, 2002, 1:53 am
lol thats real nice... i still play it, i cant get enough of those dragons!!!!

paranoID
December 2, 2002, 7:26 pm
For the ones already bored with the old version here is the promised update:
http://soldatforum.dnagames.net/data/paranoID/2002122191254_ctf_dragonwar.zip
I redone the bot waypoints with APPM (ArcWolfs poly path method [:D]) and I can only recommend it!!! (spares you lots of [:-banghead] -Moments [:D])
I don't know if the bots work better now, but they've got support for the upper ways!

quote:Mabye sometime you could take those sk311z and make two WHOLE dragons, a red and a blue.
If I come to think of it, that's a very good idea, SimdroneX! I'll spare that one for the new version of soldat!

Edge
December 3, 2002, 2:26 am
I like it. Better than my map, though my map was made with glitches for fun =) I oughta try one someday............

Jerpe
December 22, 2002, 7:28 pm
Nice map! One of the greatest I´v seen so far. The bots are working weary well, even if it`s not a "botfriendly" map. The only thing that REALY needs a fix is that you can get trapped in the dragons head after respawning (hapends more often for red team).

Anyway! Nice map...