( search forums )
Less bandwidth/cpu intense forums/alternative skin
Soldat Forums - Misc - Forum News and Support
Gaah
January 4, 2004, 11:55 pm
As you can see from the topic, I would like an alternative forum interface that has less pics and so on. Having reguarly visited the forums for a week or two, the forums seem to have chewed up a significant amount of my monthly allowance, I would like an option in my profile to change the skin for the forum to something text based or something that uses less bandwidth. I'm not sure if Snitz Forums can have skins, but other forums I have visited can. Please DNA.styx

DNA.styx
January 5, 2004, 12:04 am
Dropping the JS menu should help CPU usage while browsing.

To reduce bandwidth try disable the signatures.

I have been testing another basic skin for the forum that is faster to load...but it's ++ ugly at the mo and at the moment it's only good for viewing the forum not posting.

Also grab a copy of Mozilla, I'm well impressed with 1.5's the load times of the forum compared to IE....

Gaah
January 5, 2004, 11:21 am
Well, the drop down menu's being removed have helped. Don't mind all that much about the look of a skin. Does the current skin use much bandwidth?

DNA.styx
January 5, 2004, 1:04 pm
forums always use a lot of bandwidth...

Gaah
January 5, 2004, 11:34 pm
Meh... Please update when you have the new skin ready. Just how much bandwidth are we talking here? How much does this forum use a day? A week? A month?

DNA.styx
January 6, 2004, 10:18 am
How much does this forum use a day? A week? A month?
Depends on the number of pages that you visit, this thread, for example, is about 180kb in size...do the sums from there. (saying that a lot of the images once cached by your browser will get re-used rather than re-downloaded)

NightCabbage
January 7, 2004, 12:26 pm
Styx, you've done a great job with the forum fixes/changes/improvements.

It's all that much better now.

Just one request - the forum portal.

Is it gone, or just hiding? =D

DNA.styx
January 7, 2004, 1:05 pm
When you had to log in to view the forum you where forced to view the Portal, but now you will only see it if you use this link (which most web sites have linked to us using) http://soldatforum.dnagames.net

NightCabbage
January 7, 2004, 2:23 pm
Suggestion:

Home link (top left)

Make that go to the portal

Add another in called Soldat, which i dont need to explain ;)