( search forums )
CTF: Tunnel
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Roy
January 6, 2004, 5:43 pm
Hey folks. Here I am, with a map which isn't my first nor my last. I call it CTF_Tunnel. It's basically a standard symmetrical CTF setup, except the path to either base is a narrow tunnel which players must jet through. To touch the sides of the tunnel means instant death, so you must fly carefully (although the ceiling won't hurt you, despite being set to deadly.)

I've thought of a few adjustments I might make to the map, but unfortunately it won't open in Soldat Map Maker any more. That also means there is no full shot of the map. But a few of my friends have found it fun to play on, so I urge you to give it a try. (It plays best with teams of 2, although I've played it 1v1 and it was still fun. Anything above 3v3 would be crowded.)

[IMAGE]
The Red base. The Blue base is basically the same, except blue, of course.

[IMAGE]
This is sort of the entrance into the deadly tunnel. A major camp zone, especially since you can lob a grenade or something over the edge and make it very difficult for people to get out of the tunnel.

[IMAGE]
Here you see me flything along, carefully not touching anything. The map is set with just enough jet fuel to let an experienced jetter to fly all the way through without having to refuel on the area in the center of the tunnel (below me.)

[IMAGE]
As you can see, spikey red floors are not healthy for you.

http://myweb.cableone.net/bookbasket/ctf_tunnel.pms

One change I thought of making was a long secondary tunnel which led from the back of both bases, down under the rest of the map, to each opposing base. The 2nd tunnel wouldn't be deadly, just longer, and an alternate route if the 1st tunnel ended up being camped too heavily.

Below the screenshots and map are attached in case my hosting craps out.

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] shot1.jpg79.55 KB

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] shot2.jpg88.64 KB

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] shot3.jpg133.82 KB

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] shot4.jpg123.75 KB

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] ctf_tunnel.rar39.13 KB

Any opinions are greatly appreciated, thanks.

NullShot
January 6, 2004, 5:56 pm
looks very nice indeed, dunno about gameplay but i trust it is a good map. heh, i like the green background as well. might as well d/l it right away.

Aquarius
January 6, 2004, 6:00 pm
Nice, but it might be extremly difficult to score on this map.

NullShot
January 6, 2004, 6:02 pm
i agree with aquarius on that one

R
January 6, 2004, 11:35 pm
it looks nicely shaded, interesting concept but good. but it would help to realise how good this map really is if you had an overview of it

Yin_Starrunner
January 7, 2004, 12:46 am
put together all the screenshots, it shows from the red base to halfway to the blue base... he said it was symettrical

Dathker
January 7, 2004, 1:20 am
its awsome. but its too small and hard fer game play :(
needs more space

Hercule Poirot
January 7, 2004, 9:14 am
nice map thumbs up :P

LiL_FuKa
January 7, 2004, 5:33 pm
Shweeet, but that constant green backround was making me nausious - (is that how you spell it?)

GluLm
January 29, 2004, 3:12 pm
Good ideas in this map, quite original actually. Too bad it's way to big!

MikeShinoda.pheonix
January 30, 2004, 5:34 am
i love this map.

Rambo_6
January 31, 2004, 6:11 pm
just make the ground hurt instead. Way to hard... :p

Hitman
January 31, 2004, 6:39 pm
From the screenies it looks amazing! *Downloading*..

Edit - Wtf, the walls kill you!?! You have to change that or else its almost impossible!

Roy
February 3, 2004, 6:25 am
Whoa, even more people have checked this out?

The whole premise of the map are the deadly tunnels. I admit it can be extremely difficult to get through, especially with M79s around and stuff. That's why I wanted to add a secondary tunnel and make a few other slight changes. Unfortunately, the map still won't open in Soldat Map Maker 1.2. Perhaps I'll just remake the map entirely... maybe with two tunnel exits at both ends or something.

Thanks for the input.