( search forums )
Local chat ("^snp there!" - "^where?*6")
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
peeljammer
January 6, 2004, 11:17 pm
Miscommunication often occurs even if you carefully use team chat. The annoying thing prevents us from teaming up for a small,quick and dynamic obcect like the topic. I want to give my message to a proper target.

All I need is an option not to show my message in the chat area. For example, prefix "@" to the message to indicate it only on local area(= only on your head).

Also a show-off option is good.
local | on
team | on
global | off

Yin_Starrunner
January 6, 2004, 11:43 pm
not quite sure if i understand what youre saying

Local= Only tell the teammates around you ???

sauron_the_deceiver
January 7, 2004, 12:05 am
I think I see. So if there are about 3 people travelling on the lowest path of a map, the person who takes control of the 'squad' will want to tell them to cover him, or whatever, without the entire team getting confused by the random 'cover me! in teamchat.

Great idea! Chat, Team chat, and Local chat, using the prefix @ to speak locally. YES!

peeljammer
January 7, 2004, 12:24 am
No, there would be 2 type of local chat:
1) show a message around you for everybody
2) show a message around you for the teammates

The former is for this occasion. A camper on a hill nails you and your mate. You say "lets run out after 5 seconds and blow him off,ok?". "ok, 5,4,3...". This appears only on the screen of you, the mate and teammates around there.

The latter is for this occasion. I was camping on a hill and shot one of two idiots, and got blasted with M78. "LOL 2vs1 mother fxxxer" I said. Anybody else around me can hear that, but it does't show on upper left.

You got it?

--text from double post:

I replied above to Yin_Starrunner.
sauron_the_deceiver, you've got the vision =)

Yin_Starrunner
January 7, 2004, 12:44 am
ok, that sounds fun...

kevith
January 7, 2004, 1:14 am
I like it... especially the local team chat thing. The everyone local option seems kinda useless except to talk smack though (although maybe a good reason).

?
January 7, 2004, 10:15 pm
o yeah good idea

Dark_Noddy
January 8, 2004, 2:00 pm
I like the local chat thingie :D coz then U can TAunt ppl without it showing up and ppl wonreding who da feck U talkin 2 :D

[edit]
And the thing U intended the feature for also is c001
[/edit]

peeljammer
January 9, 2004, 2:05 am
I have got the idea in shape, let me write it out.

the points
A range command of a message.
Local range is default. Global range is optional.
A show-off option for each log(chat, kill, score, etc.).
I think local range would be often used more than global range if the feature is implemented. A command with high frequency must be handy for typing. So it's better that local is default and global has a prefix or a command to use. It may save Alt-key pains every time.

terms

channel
- public: to everybody
- team: to teammates("^")

range
- local: to the extent of your sight in the channel
- global: to all of listeners in the channel("!")

show-off items
- balloon: a message above a speaker
- pub-local
- pub-global
- team-local
- team-global
- join
- kill
- score

ex.)
"n1" - to everybody around you, especially to the winner
"!gg" - to everybody in game