( search forums )
points for returning the flag
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
or123
January 14, 2004, 9:11 am
I hope it hasn't been suggested before... coz this is what i got when i tried to search:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e31'

Timeout expired

/search.asp, line 446

ok, so here is my idea. its realy simple. Getting Points For Returning Your Teams Flag (CTF).
is there something not clear about it?

kevith
January 14, 2004, 1:46 pm
This has been mentioned before but it has been awhile... it could be ok but there are other problems that would need to be resolved, like what if a defender just sat there and shot his flag off the base and returned it over and over? You'd have to make it so that you could only get points for it if an enemy actually captured the flag or maybe held it for a certain amount of time. On a related topic, maybe you should get more points for killing the enemy flagger? Just throwing some ideas/ thoughts out....

Hitman
January 14, 2004, 2:18 pm
quote:defender just sat there and shot his flag off the base and returned it over and over?Yeah, it just wouldn't work, plus I don't think you should get points for returning it, just for scoring...

or123
January 14, 2004, 2:32 pm
well, returning your teams flag is as important to your team as getting the enemies one... maybe just a little less importent and the player thats doing it should be rewarded (im not talking about 25 points just 1 or 2). solving your problem should be easy, as kevith said you gain points only if an enemy soldier got the flag (soldat is already doing that while writing "XXX got the red flag", so it shouldnt be complicated.
and anyway... if it is a good idea why not doing it just because some idiots will 'return the flag' again and again instead of actuly enjoy soldat by PLAYING it.

Jounaz
January 14, 2004, 3:37 pm
yeah it important to to return own flag.. but may be quite difficult to make it... but i don't know 'cause i'm not programmer :D but allways there will be someone who tries to get point by cheating :/

DesFS
January 14, 2004, 4:32 pm
It's good, but there needs to be something to prevent the blue team from shooting their flag out of the area and getting points for it. If not, I'll have 1,000,000 points in no time.

- DesFS

or123
January 14, 2004, 4:34 pm
no it won't be difficult. soldat allready 'knows' when u return the flag, all u have to do now is to give the points...
and i answered to your second question in my former post.

Hitman
January 14, 2004, 5:29 pm
You can already get points from kills and scoring! What more do you want?

villekallio
January 14, 2004, 5:38 pm
I dont care if this should be implemented. And btw Hitman you soon have 666 posts. :P

bLaStEr
January 14, 2004, 5:45 pm
quote:Originally posted by villekallio
And btw Hitman you soon have 666 posts. :P

Umm 666 is just a number. OMG nothing special in it, it wont make anyone satanic or devilish [xx(]. (or that what it is usually understood)

Btw this idea is not good one ;) Because really it's just stubid, personally I think that you should get only points for killing but when its ctf heh x)

Scuba Steve
January 14, 2004, 6:17 pm
or u can make it where if u return it u get 5 points extra on ur kills when u return it, then ur whole team gets 3 points extra on their kills kinda like what or123 said... just another idea...u can flame it if u want lol

?
January 14, 2004, 9:56 pm
this idea is crap, sorry to be blunt, the only situation that should get extra points besides capping is killer the flag carrier and only 2 poitns for that

3rd_account
January 15, 2004, 12:45 am
Bla bla bla... shooting away flag with auto, returning it for points, sucking [:-censored].

n00bface
January 15, 2004, 2:11 am
*agrees*

Oompa Loompa has spoken.

or123
January 15, 2004, 12:23 pm
ok. if thats what u think i will leave this idea standing alone in the corner...

eyic
January 15, 2004, 12:53 pm
no this idea owns, i dont think it would be very hard to implement, simple this could be easily programmed, in my opinion even though im not a programmer, all Michal has to do is make a way of if ur enemy got the flag then he dropped it THEN u reutrned it you get points, i think u should get around 2-5 points.

nothing to complex 0.o

Cold Fusion
January 15, 2004, 1:13 pm
Nah, you could kill the enemy flag capper, and as the flag goes loose, someone else could return the flag from the open and claim your hard-earnt points. Best not to have any extra points for returning.

eyic
January 15, 2004, 1:28 pm
I think 2 points wouldnt hurt 0.o

kevith
January 15, 2004, 3:17 pm
quote:Originally posted by Cold Fusion
Nah, you could kill the enemy flag capper, and as the flag goes loose, someone else could return the flag from the open and claim your hard-earnt points. Best not to have any extra points for returning.
Then why not give the points for killing the enemy flagger instead (or also)?

Meandor
January 15, 2004, 3:56 pm
I don't like the current points system, people just think about their scores and i've been told many times stuff along the 'OMG YOU STOLE MY CAP' line, even when they lost flag near to an enemy that was going to lose it. And as some already said, people would be stupid enough to keep returning for points -.-
I think in ctf there should be a small space somewhere to put small dots ( like 2*2 pixels each ) to represent caps and flag return ( different colours ), along the kills column. So there would be kills, caps, returns and deaths, that don't sum up or anything.
( BTW, to Kevith comment - killing the flag carrier is generally easy. Returning is not, it's another thing =) )

or123
January 15, 2004, 4:15 pm
Meandor is right. i say getting 2-5 points for both killing the flag carrier and returning it. also i think that the points for cap must be lower (about 10 not 25).

gunny
January 15, 2004, 9:52 pm
i think we should have separate points for scoring and killing

Phoenix Star of PBC
January 15, 2004, 11:54 pm
I think that the point system should be allowed to be changed as options. That way, everyone would be happy about the point system.

aLpHaNuMe12iK
January 16, 2004, 12:53 am
guys, points aren't really that important.
at least not to me...
people who are truely good should be secure in their skills even if they are 16/27 one round.

note: we are referring to CTF here; in dm and tm, points ARE very important

DesFS
January 16, 2004, 6:40 pm
CTF you get points like you breathe air. It's kills that count. But I like having lots of points. :)

aLpHaNuMe12iK
January 17, 2004, 2:47 am
umm, actually, in CTF its the caps that count...

Sekushi
January 17, 2004, 2:56 am
Lol, I don't aim for getting points, I aim for protecting/capturing the flag. :/

sqweek
January 18, 2004, 3:42 pm
I think the entire CTF scoring system is silly at the moment, I mean, 25 points for a cap, no points for defending the flag, WTF?
The entire system needs to be overhauled if points are to be meaningful in CTF. (I'd say make it 0 points for a cap, since your team gets a point anyway, and make it so you get extra points for defending the carrier/flag)

For this specific issue though, what about how q3 does it? Instead of getting points for returning the flag, you get points if you return the flag and soon after (say, in the next 30 seconds) someone caps.

?
January 18, 2004, 5:44 pm
its not that people in the forums might shoot the flag and return for pionts its some jerk in a public server somwhere, you should get 2 points for killing the flag holder 15 poiunts for capping, and 2 points for returning flag IF your team scores within 2 seconds =D that is my 2 cents

Cold Fusion
January 18, 2004, 8:40 pm
Purely from my point of view, when I work out the number of caps and kills each player got in my clan, having another points variable will mean I won't be able to work it out. Currently, I can just take off 25 points from each player until all the caps have been accounted for and still leave them with a reasonable kill value.

You could say that 25 points is too much, maybe reduce it to 10 or 20, but I don't think that it makes too much difference. Maybe even getting rid of points, and just having kills and caps at the end of the round will be a better alternative. :)

TIR_Blade
January 18, 2004, 9:37 pm
Screw the points system, just break down the stats. instead of 25 points for caps give them 1 under the captures(there should be a captures). And instead of points for returning, just give them a number of returns. Number of Kills, Number of deaths.

Cold Fusion
January 18, 2004, 9:40 pm
quote:Originally posted by Cold Fusion
Maybe even getting rid of points, and just having kills and caps at the end of the round will be a better alternative. :)

*cough* :P

EDIT: And a column for returning... just brings up the comments earlier... mm... perhaps. Not really worth it.

MisterX
January 18, 2004, 9:52 pm
would be nice, if it would be for example like kevith said it. because then more people would want to return the flag. now sometimes the flag is lying on the ground, and just noone cares.. and killing the flagcarrier, would be ok if you would get more points then just 1, but just if the guy held the flag for example longer then 30 sec, because if not, then more and more people would camp at their flag, and just wait until an enemy takes the flag..

that fuking sniper
January 18, 2004, 10:19 pm
I'm actually against any extra points that arent earned for killing. I personally never gave a damn about big scores, unless they were earned purely from killing, and I dont appritiate new small bonuses wrecking my score if I return the flag or such, I want to know how many people I've killed, thats all :P...

I'm for making columns of points. Such as : Kills - Deaths - Ping - Caps - Returns - Tottal points

That way it would be easier for alot of people like me who only value the killing scores to know a person's worth...

sudden_death
January 18, 2004, 10:32 pm
I totally agree. It is too easy to get the required number of points if you get 25 for each capture. I have played games with a 100 point limit that only took five minutes to win.

Sekushi
January 19, 2004, 12:46 am
Personally, the idea of points for returning the flag is just plain stupid. It shows how much people really care for points. Hey, if you're pissed about defending and not being compensated, why don't you go on offensive? Oh, you didn't think of that? Silly me, I thought it was common sense.

Drama
January 19, 2004, 6:26 am
U get good mood when u return the flag, isn't that enough ?

And and i dont give rats ass for score in ctf, just team win is important [^]

eyic
January 19, 2004, 7:04 am
just remove all the points except the team scores, then its a team effort, and the winning team's players would be on the top of the score lsit in alphabetical order and the losing team o nthe bottom in alpahabetical order, just like halflife, except no points..

Alamo
January 19, 2004, 4:24 pm
Why not keep it as it is. Not that the idea is bad or something but why change it??? It would not have any effect cuz points are meaningless in CTF aren't they???

Never change a working system ;)

kevith
January 19, 2004, 6:07 pm
After reading through this thread again today, I think that my favorite solution is kind of like eyic's. No points except for the teams' scores. But I would also like a column for kills more for informational purposes (I like to know how many kills I have).

On top of that, how about this:
- There could be another set of colums for each player that keeps track of how many rounds each player has played in that server and how many of those rounds their team (i.e. a team on which they are a player) has won.
- When the scores are shown by pressing F1 (during the round), it would show the players in order of # of kills for the round...
- At the end of a round in would show them in order of how many rounds their team has won (or maybe winning percentage or something).

It might give more motivation to playing as a team. Does this make sense to anyone other than me?

A few foreseeable problems:
- What about players changing teams to keep them even? There would be even less motivation for a player on a winning team to want to change to balance the teams.
- You might have to say that the player has to be on a team for more than half of the round for the team stat to count for them...

Anyway... this is all just thinking out loud. Any thoughts? I kept editing this post trying to make it more readable... I don't know if I succeeded ;)

Sekushi
January 19, 2004, 6:43 pm
Now that would be an idea for consideration, a column for captures, a column for kills, and a column for deaths. I like that. But, all you have to do it subtract 25-50-75-whatever from a person's score to where it seems close to the other player's scores who haven't capped. But, this would make it simpler.