( search forums )
me and my 56k and my good old barret :)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Camping_Carl
January 14, 2004, 10:43 pm
I must tell you people XD the barret might be a noob weapon for people with T1 and dsl... but for people that have 56k and below... are have bad ping... its a challange in its self..... it takes a while to learn techs... to shoot people with a barret in lag... i must admit its FUN!!!

now go disconnected your DSL and try out the barret!

Hitman
January 14, 2004, 10:46 pm
Lol, if your good with 56k, you must be amazing with Broadband!

choco
January 15, 2004, 12:48 am
im a 56ker....well actualy im on a dual modem setup but only one modem outputs info so yea......im an expert with any weapon....

Sekushi
January 15, 2004, 2:05 am
Dual modem? How does that work?

Jelly_King
January 15, 2004, 5:24 am
camping carl is completely right - sniping with a 56k is very very very very very hard
i dunno about you carl, but i have to spend about 5min working out how bad the lag is, in order to work out how far in front of the enemy soldat you have to shoot for a killshot
yeah, you're right - it is pretty fun! but mostly annoying

plus you can only play with about 4 people in the game max before it just becomes impossible!

Snowden
January 15, 2004, 6:01 am
Aiming with barret is hard? How the hell can you stand ANY form of play using a dialup connection?

Jelly_King
January 15, 2004, 6:08 am
you don't
i don't play online anymore (also my soldat is screwed up for some reason)

...either that or you get really whiny!

palloco
January 15, 2004, 8:27 am
I can perfectly play with any weapon but barret due to high ping.Good work, CC

Meandor
January 15, 2004, 12:08 pm
I actually play better on 64k ( even if i use barret, the few times i use it ), not when i'm on another pc with a 1.5mb connection. Though i guess it's the fact that i have a better mouse and monitor on the pc with dialup, 'cause the mouse i have on the one with broadband is really crappy.. You might've seen me complaining about it shooting or flying by himself without me pressing anything =P

Roy
January 15, 2004, 1:57 pm
I know exactly what you're talking about. Back a year or two ago when I first discovered Soldat (And then quit playing for many months until I started up again a few weeks ago) I was on 28.8. I [:-censored] you not. I don't know what my exact ping was, but I reckon it must have been at least 600 or 700 at all times. Ironically, it was the only weapon I could kill with. It's easier to kill someone with one well-placed shot than trying to do that 20 times with an HK or whatever.

It's actually not bad. There's a certain amount of satisfaction to shooting a spot 1 inch in front of a guy and then watching them die about a second after the fact.

Camping_Carl
January 16, 2004, 2:20 am
Bah i like double eagles i use those when I HAVE 4234 lag

blan
January 16, 2004, 3:22 am
actually, when I have lag (playing euro clans for almost a year counts as lag, yes) I found that the barret was on of the easiest one's to use. Since you don't have as many bullets to miss and therefore dont waster your whole clip shooting at the lag shadow.

But thats just me and roy

that fuking sniper
January 16, 2004, 3:56 am
Bah, back in 1.0.3b-1.0.5b I was on a crappy 56k, and I was twice as good as I am today, not much :P but the proportion is what counts; It was easier for me to know how to aim ahead and be sure that my shot will count than right now with this goddamn "anti-lag" system that makes it even harder - There is always a chance the shot wont register, weather you aim directly at the target or ahead of it according to your ping, because the anti lag system works on package transfer, as anything in multiplayer, and package loss affects it too, so people like me who get 200+ on DNA make up with the fact that the shot will register pretty much randomly...

Scuba Steve
January 16, 2004, 4:59 am
its not too hard to play with a 56k/dial up u get used to it.. i mean i got one and i like to use knife, ruger and deagles and i always used to use a barret... it got boring though its not hard to kill with other weapons other than a barret whie usin a 56k/dial up.

SILENT
January 16, 2004, 5:12 am
yeah you get used to it after awile, and barrets pretty easy on 56k ^^.

choco
January 16, 2004, 10:19 am
dual modem works like this........1 modem build in one external and both hooked up to the same phone line via a special adapter i get 10kbps dls but crappy pings......it makes any game playable

i actualy totaly own everyone on 56k......well i used to now ive lost my skills a lil bit.....but im still an expert with any weapon

AerialAssault
January 16, 2004, 12:09 pm
i remember playing games online with 56k, wasnt that bad, just took forever to connect

palloco
January 16, 2004, 3:01 pm
I played tanarus with 33k with aussie players and no lag

DeepII
January 16, 2004, 5:52 pm
quote:Originally posted by Jelly_King
camping carl is completely right - sniping with a 56k is very very very very very hard
i dunno about you carl, but i have to spend about 5min working out how bad the lag is, in order to work out how far in front of the enemy soldat you have to shoot for a killshot
yeah, you're right - it is pretty fun! but mostly annoying

plus you can only play with about 4 people in the game max before it just becomes impossible!

i only have a 56k Modem and i can play with more ppl...with 15 other ppl i can still aim verry good(for those who don't think i'm good: watch this! [URL][if u can't see it: me:60kills 2nd:32kills; server: www.systemfeind.net DM Server])

but it's impossible to play other games like UT2k3 or BF42 with a 56k Modem...