( search forums )
Digicam shopping
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Chakra
January 15, 2004, 2:00 am
Ok, so I was walking along a road minding my own business thinking what Tea Leoni could ever see in such a dullard like David Duchovny, when this parkour nutter backflips off the roof of a moving bus, gets his shoelace caught in a tree(an oak),then the branch breaks and he smacks onto the pavement face first right infront of me. Then these ants that lived in the brach started to eat him so I thought "[:-censored] it" and grabbed the wallet he was obviously using to make his groin look bigger.

So, yeah. I've ran into some money and i'm looking for a decent digicam.

Preferably something that can handle 640x480 (although i'd love 1204x768), has a built in flash and costs under £100/$160/130 euros/¥2,000,000,000,000. I'd also like it not to require those pencil thin batteries as they die more often than Michael Jackson's career; a built in battery would be even better.

Speaking of batteries, i've heard using standard store-bought batteries in anything like a digicam these days lasts little longer than 3/4 an hour, so i'll no doubt have to get some heavy-duty 2000mAh recharagables with a charger which'll be an extra £25...which is a bummer, but hey, at least i'll get a few more hours out of it.

So...you got a digicam you can reccomend? know of any online (uk-friendly) stores that are reliable and cheap for such things?

juice _ box
January 15, 2004, 4:42 am
I would recomend a cannon. Great quality, some at a reasonable price and the battery is rechargable. (depending on which model you purchase.) Where to find one? I havn't a clue.

n00bface
January 15, 2004, 4:44 am
quote:Originally posted by juice _ box
I would recomend a cannon. Great quality, some at a reasonable price and the battery is rechargable. (depending on which model you purchase.) Where to find one? I havn't a clue.

gee, maybe their website? pffff.

frogboy
January 15, 2004, 4:48 am
Whatever you do, dont get a pissy cheap one like I did... believe me, they're dangerously hopeless.

juice _ box
January 15, 2004, 7:37 am
quote:gee, maybe their website? pffff. I left it open for chak to figure out. pssshhhhh its verry educational.

BMF
January 15, 2004, 3:42 pm
its about time we started flaming each other, or what?

kevith
January 15, 2004, 5:39 pm
I have a Nikon and I love it... very good quality but not the most user-friendly (or inexpensive). I attended a wedding over the holidays and also had some family pictures taken. Interesting to note that all 3 professional photographers used Canon digital cameras (like 11 megapixels!). 1 of the 3 said she used a Nikon when she wasn't working (as her "recreational" camera, if you will).

b00stA
January 15, 2004, 9:13 pm
Nikon really makes great cameras, but they're expensive, yeah :|

Well, I have a Mustek GSmart Mini II.. costed 50 euros, 16MB, 1.3 mega pixels, 1280*960
built-in battery, charged via USB. No display for the images, no flash, picture gets blurred when you don't hold still.. it's ok for 50euros..

Oh, and [:-censored] interpolation of photos >:)

Chakra
January 15, 2004, 10:26 pm
Yeah i was thinking about one of those mustek mini's...looked like exactly what i needed, until i spotted no flash. For the want of a bloody flash...

gi.joe
January 16, 2004, 1:41 am
ive got a Cannon S45

verrry nice
not sure how much it is in euros though...

NullShot
January 16, 2004, 5:35 pm
I've got a Sony Cyber5hit, the 5 megapixel one that roxxors...

Chakra, rule n.1 -

never buy a Creative cam from like Anttila Topten, costs about 100?...
..it's hazardous to buy one........yes, that's it....hazard..........

gi.joe
January 17, 2004, 3:54 am
so Chakky have u made up your mind?

Chakra
January 17, 2004, 4:19 pm
Not sure really...so many options out there...but i'm gonna take a risk and go for this Jenoptik 3.1 LCD thingo which is on a january sale special deal (£20 less), and I found a few reviews of people liking it's predecessor, and for it's price it don't half carry alot of weight: 3.1 megapixels, 16mb memory, flash, digital zoom etc.. Still, any criticism on any camera is welcomed peeps.

?
January 17, 2004, 4:21 pm
try thinkgeek.com they got all kinds a gadgits there, im sure they will have a good camera

Chakra
January 17, 2004, 4:52 pm
Heh, i love that site. The uk equivelents are www.iwantoneofthose.com and www.firebox.com ...got myself one of those photon lights. Smaller than a [:-censored]ing matchbox, yet is as bright as a bloody 60w lightbulb.

b00stA
January 17, 2004, 4:52 pm
quote:Originally posted by Chakra
Not sure really...so many options out there...but i'm gonna take a risk and go for this Jenoptik 3.1 LCD thingo which is on a january sale special deal (£20 less), and I found a few reviews of people liking it's predecessor, and for it's price it don't half carry alot of weight: 3.1 megapixels, 16mb memory, flash, digital zoom etc.. Still, any criticism on any camera is welcomed peeps.

Does it have a card slot? 16MB for 3.1 mega pixel photos isn't really that big :)

Chakra
January 17, 2004, 7:01 pm
Yeah it does....that can come later though, when I get a bit too snap-happy..

morpheus
January 17, 2004, 7:38 pm
i picked up one of these at christmas time. works beautifully, and cheap, too.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2067721&cat=79128&type=19&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A3959%3A124077%3A79128#long_descr