( search forums )
Post limit
Soldat Forums - Misc - Forum News and Support
Famine
January 17, 2004, 2:22 am
There should be a post limit. People will actually stop to think before they post. Spam is not just random posts in a thread, it is also restating an idea or feeling that someone has stated, and saying I agree or disagree.

[URL]

or

[URL]

also

[URL]

DNA.styx
January 17, 2004, 2:28 am
Use the [IMAGE] to contact the forum's mod.

Hitman
January 17, 2004, 2:30 am
A post Limit?!? This is such a stupid Idea! What do you do when you reach the post limit? Just stop posting?!? Wow, is this stupid!

?
January 17, 2004, 2:32 am
how could you expect to not get flamed by posting those suggestions

Famine
January 17, 2004, 2:34 am
quote:A post Limit?!? This is such a stupid Idea! What do you do when you reach the post limit? Just stop posting?!? Wow, is this stupid!

A post limit isn't after your 800th post you can't post. It is like you cannot post 20+ posts in a certain time limit.

frogboy
January 17, 2004, 2:35 am
Simple. You can't post 2 topics in 30 seconds. Its already there.

Famine
January 17, 2004, 2:36 am
I am implmenting a larger one.

eyic
January 17, 2004, 4:02 am
ur not implementing ur asking, unless ur a hacker 0.o

-SPI-
January 17, 2004, 10:24 am
This idea would effectively kill the forums, a slow death as each member is banned from posting after time. It's a terrible idea.

bLaStEr
January 17, 2004, 11:33 am
this is not a good one, how 'bout a letter limit like at least 50 letters per post.

Meandor
January 17, 2004, 11:58 am
quote:Originally posted by bLaStEr
this is not a good one, how 'bout a letter limit like at least 50 letters per post.

ROFL

[filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler]
[filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler][filler]

yey, 50! XD

( .. I don't know how you can come up with those =d )

Famine
January 17, 2004, 3:01 pm
quote:this is not a good one, how 'bout a letter limit like at least 50 letters per post.

I don't mind long posts, but the posts such as the links I already showed you are just everybody saying the same thing. Once an idea is brought to the thread, it shouldn't be brought up again unless you are extending it. A post limit would make people think before posting the same idea after someone else did. I do like this idea a bit, but not too many letters. Maybe atleast 20. Saying ROFL in one post is spam, you should have some substance to what you post.

quote:This idea would effectively kill the forums, a slow death as each member is banned from posting after time. It's a terrible idea.

It wouldn't ban you for just posting over the limit, once you posted say 20 topics in an hour then you couldn't post another 20 until the time limit was up.

eyic
January 17, 2004, 9:30 pm
i doubt people post 20 posts in an hour mofo 0.o

Drama
January 17, 2004, 9:43 pm
it's ok like this

mr_bob
January 18, 2004, 5:53 am
ok what about this say theres 30 active topics and u have something to say about all 30 and its all somthing worth while

u have to wait an hour to post your other 10 thoughts

by that time u forget what u were going to do

its really a stupid idea one of the worst

koil
January 18, 2004, 1:40 pm
well, i had a similar idea some months ago, and i can see that the spam has pissed you off, like many others.
my only advice to you is just to ignore it. be the bigger person, and dont get dragged into their level.

oh and, eyic, that was too much ironic.

Famine
January 18, 2004, 2:18 pm
eyic the 20 posts and hour was just a number. I didn't actually mean that would be it.

Hitman
January 18, 2004, 4:30 pm
This is stupid...end of Topic!

R
January 18, 2004, 6:08 pm
this idea is extremely stupid, if any of what has been suggested in this is implemented the forum would go dead. And as you can see there were already 50 letters in just my one sentence, which would be stupid to have a 1 sentence limit for every post, it would make more double posts. THINK before you post stupid ideas like this. Styx already implied that hes not gunna implement it so just stop it here.

koil
January 18, 2004, 7:20 pm
quote:Originally posted by R
this idea is extremely stupid, if any of what has been suggested in this is implemented the forum would go dead. And as you can see there were already 50 letters in just my one sentence, which would be stupid to have a 1 sentence limit for every post, it would make more double posts. THINK before you post stupid ideas like this. Styx already implied that hes not gunna implement it so just stop it here.

he said atleast 50letters.
meaning:

quote:Orignally posted by RANDOM-USER
heh..
^ wont work.

sorry to dissapoint you, but any post (in my eyes, ofcourse) which has less then 50letters in it, has a 80% chance of spam. if people want to say things like rofl, agree or stfu, then i suggest you'll go to www.msn.com and download msnm.

next time, THINK before you post stupid comments like that.

btw:
styx didnt said nothing about it. all he said was that theres a suitable alternative in the meanwhile. if enough people will like it (ey.. who knows), then our dictator will consider it, and see if its for the best.

btw2:
(...) the forum would go dead
...how many users dnaforums got? ~5000 right? lets say ~2500 active? ~500 from them comes evry day? anyone can see how the forum is gonna die? enlighten me please.

R
January 18, 2004, 7:39 pm
oh yes and with this new at least 50 letters thing than we'd just have a new type of spam.

example:
quote:SPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMspamspamspamspamspam SSPAAAAAAAAAMMMMMM spam spam spam. this is gay. spam spam spam.

koil
January 18, 2004, 11:09 pm
in that case, styx, or any other mod, should use some drastic punishment on the abuser.

this suggestion isnt about 'killing all the spam in the forum'. its just something which can prevent some of the spam

eyic
January 19, 2004, 12:06 am
if this gets implemented, it shouldnt be activated in the forums that allow spam (bashpit, lounge etc..)

Sekushi
January 19, 2004, 12:13 am
Well, you've been flamed to quite the limit for your completely preposterous idea. Just because someone says 'I agree' dosen't mean they're spamming, or have the intention to spam. How else is the idea going to get feedback if you don't say whether you like it or not? I think you should think before you speak.

n00bface
January 19, 2004, 12:15 am
I agree with Weed.. remove the stars.. What people think is spam now won't be thought of as spam if the stars ceased (?) to exist.

koil
January 19, 2004, 12:38 am
quote:Originally posted by Sekushi
Well, you've been flamed to quite the limit for your completely preposterous idea. Just because someone says 'I agree' dosen't mean they're spamming, or have the intention to spam. How else is the idea going to get feedback if you don't say whether you like it or not? I think you should think before you speak.

i'm preety sure that what he ment, was that 'I agree' isnt enough.
people should say why they like it (or dont, for that matter). constructive (typo prolly) replies are much better (imho) then a 2words reply which, you got to admit, looks like spam (if it is, or if it isnt, thats not my job to say).

Famine
January 19, 2004, 2:08 am
Koil had it on the money.

Sekushi
January 19, 2004, 2:23 am
Lol, oh. Well there is a post limit, already, it's been boosted up to one minute now, instead of 30 seconds. That means someone can only post 1440 times a day!

mr_bob
January 19, 2004, 4:15 am
ok well answer me this about the stars

if u were a noob to this forum and a person with a 1 post count answers your questions about soldat would u trust him or would u care what they think

prolly not so then the stars would say hey iv been here a while so i prolly know what im talking about

and if i was to ask a question i really would care what the 1 post count guy said i would car what the older guy said

so if u take away the stars then u have the problem of no one trusting no one and then very few things to talk about that are game related

or atleast thats how i think about it and if u dont think that way i dont care

koil
January 19, 2004, 5:45 am
youre right bob, but since styx already said ( ;/ ) that stars = stay, then we need to find other ways to eliminate the problem.

this isnt the idea that will kill the spam, surely, but it could help alot to start the awareness with the 'innocent' spammers (i think/hope).

Sekushi
January 19, 2004, 6:10 am
Define 'innocent' spammer, because I find that pretty f*ckin' impossible.

A newbie to the forums who didn't read the rules who replies to a thread, "yea," is still spamming nonetheless, and should be punish just as vets are. It would be out of his own ignorance he was punished/fined -100 posts to a post count of -90/banned for a week.

koil
January 19, 2004, 6:59 am
first of all, i like your approach to this subject sekushi. spicey ;).

----
It would be out of his own ignorance

yes, it would. theres no intelegent diffrence between newbies - and vets. only diffrence is, the experience (duh). why should the newbie be punished? lets face it.. spam is a thing that you cant live with it.

lets take sithak as an example.
on his first 6-10days, he posted alot. abseloutly nothing was somehow involved to the thread. 28posts per day. he also, evantually, got fined with 100posts.
after he got the fine, he started to ask 'why'. we, the 'vets', answerd him, and after he saw things in our way, he immediatley stopped in his spamming quest.

anyway, what i'm saying is, that spamming could be by accdient. it could be by the heat of the moment, or bordem, or.. just about anything.

most of the people whom regged an acount in dnaforums, which their accounts are (currently) inactive, only regged it cuz they wanted to post in bugs forum, or to see what happens to the new version. you think they even care about the forum rules?

people shouldnt be punished (drastic things, like banning) cuz of their 'unawareness' or 'stupidity'. they should learn whats right and whats wrong (even if a mod 'guides' them to the right way, by fining them).

-SPI-
January 21, 2004, 6:39 am
I don't think limits need to be put on posts though. If someones spamming you can spot it and report the post, or the moderators will spot it. There's no need to start putting restrictive limits in these forums more thatn the rules that are now there.