( search forums )
XM148 grenade launcher on rifles/autos as 2ndary
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
moysturfurmer
January 19, 2004, 1:47 am
pressing q then firing will automatically launch a grenade(like throwing but with longer reach and less damage)

Pros: no weapon switch
can launch grenades farther than throwing
no need to hold down "E" for .5/.75ish seconds to throw

Cons: N amount of ammo lost (i.e. 40 bullets for Minime)
No infinite clips (i.e 4 at one time)
Renders throwing useless
Useable only with Ruger/AK47/HKMP5/STEYERAUG/M249

Shorter distance than M79
2 seconds between shots
5% weaker than normal grenades

*edited for clarity and corrections*

Sekushi
January 19, 2004, 2:40 am
First off, you don't have to hold the grenade key for 2 seconds to release a grenade. It happens in about .5-.75 seconds.

Second, what the hell is "N amount of ammo lost"? Also, Q is the set button for switching to your secondary weapon. Are you suggesting we remove secondaries?

Third, there's no reason to state "no infinite clips" because Michal wouldn't put anything to an inifnite level when he's aiming for a realistic game.

Renders throwing useless? Hello, there's a secondary called a knife. Don't know if you've heard of it, but it's there.

Fourth, shorter distance than an m79? Grenades already are shorter than that.

Fifth, if there's a 2 second wait to release another, isn't that just the same as you claim the time to throw a regular grenade?

And for sixth, why would they be 5% weaker then reular grenades?

Then finally, grenades don't just shoot out from guns.

moysturfurmer
January 19, 2004, 3:07 am
quote:Originally posted by Sekushi
First off, you don't have to hold the grenade key for 2 seconds to release a grenade. It happens in about .5-.75 seconds.

Second, what the hell is "N amount of ammo lost"? Also, Q is the set button for switching to your secondary weapon. Are you suggesting we remove secondaries?

Third, there's no reason to state "no infinite clips" because Michal wouldn't put anything to an inifnite level when he's aiming for a realistic game.

Renders throwing useless? Hello, there's a secondary called a knife. Don't know if you've heard of it, but it's there.

Fourth, shorter distance than an m79? Grenades already are shorter than that.

Fifth, if there's a 2 second wait to release another, isn't that just the same as you claim the time to throw a regular grenade?

And for sixth, why would they be 5% weaker then reular grenades?

Then finally, grenades don't just shoot out from guns.

1. ok, you don't have to hold it .5/.75 seconds then.

2. I'm talking about the addition of a grendade launcher to certain weapons AS a secondary. I am not trying to remove secondaries, just add a new one

3. I mean you have virtually infinite ammo for anything. 50 bullets per minime cartridge. When you lose your ammo you magically pop a cartridge out of your pocket and use it.

4. I mean the throwing of grenades. Thats why I didn't post anything about a XM987 Knife launcher.

5. I'm talking about an addon to certain weapons that launches grenades

6. I'm talking about how long it should take to fire twice. I.E. Barret has a 4 second down time between each shot.

7. Balancing issues

DesFS
January 19, 2004, 3:11 am
Sekushi, he means 'N' is the amount of ammo lost when using that feature. Algebra. Damn! I got exam's this week. Shoot, got to run and study, but before I do that:

To moysturfurmer:
Certain guns may have a RPG (or something) launcher attached in the real world, but I find typical grenades fine. I don't like losing ammo, specially when it counts. Why weaker too? 5% isn't a lot less damage you know. Your idea is just giving us something in the game in a different form.

Also, there is no M249 weapon idiot. There is however, a m79, and if I need a gun that launches grenades, I'd rather stick with a m79 thank you very much.

DesFS
January 19, 2004, 3:15 am
Sorry about my snappy tone, but I'm under stress here. I got exams. Lots. Of. Exams. :(

moysturfurmer
January 19, 2004, 3:45 am
quote:Originally posted by DesFS
Sekushi, he means 'N' is the amount of ammo lost when using that feature. Algebra. Damn! I got exam's this week. Shoot, got to run and study, but before I do that:

To moysturfurmer:
Certain guns may have a RPG (or something) launcher attached in the real world, but I find typical grenades fine. I don't like losing ammo, specially when it counts. Why weaker too? 5% isn't a lot less damage you know. Your idea is just giving us something in the game in a different form.

Also, there is no M249 weapon idiot. There is however, a m79, and if I need a gun that launches grenades, I'd rather stick with a m79 thank you very much.

Isn't the M249 the Minime?

Sekushi
January 19, 2004, 3:53 am
Why not just call it a... minimi?

DesFS
January 19, 2004, 5:15 am
Yeah, okay, I can't tell because I'm using a Unreal Tournament Mod with soldat. But anyways, weapons aren't the point here. I still don't think that the 'grenade on guns' idea isn't viable (worth keeping alive or implementing). It doesn't add anything extra to the game and certainly nothing fun. If u want to have fun with grenades, just chuck them the old fashioned way!

Really, only the n00b would enjoy using that feature.

Sekushi
January 19, 2004, 6:04 am

Really, only the n00b would enjoy using that feature.

Not even a newb would enjoy this. It's just too inconvient. Say you were running from the blue base to the red base, encounter a red enemy, and have to take your finger off your direction key [in this case, left] to fire a grenade. Just too inconvient.

moysturfurmer
January 19, 2004, 6:07 am
to each his own I guess

peemonkey
January 19, 2004, 6:21 am
::too much to read:: *has anyurism*

uuuhhhh....no?

sudden_death
January 19, 2004, 1:35 pm
How bout if you are using one of the above stated weapons and you hit the grenade button, it shoots out of a "launcher" and goes slightlf farther then normal, not as far as a M79, but further than throwing a grenade naturally?

Famine
January 19, 2004, 2:42 pm
quote:
Not even a newb would enjoy this. It's just too inconvient. Say you were running from the blue base to the red base, encounter a red enemy, and have to take your finger off your direction key [in this case, left] to fire a grenade. Just too inconvient.

And to throw a grenade without this feature you have to take your index finger off the right direction.

n00bface
January 19, 2004, 2:47 pm
quote:And to throw a grenade without this feature you have to take your index finger off the right direction.

not with my uber-uber controls..

Famine
January 19, 2004, 2:56 pm
Yea but I thought we were talking about the default controls, because if we weren't then you can just change the grenade launching button if it was ingame.

DesFS
January 19, 2004, 4:13 pm
I don't think we should have just another key just for that.

Alamo
January 19, 2004, 4:16 pm
Well i think this attachable gren launcher would make soldat a little more complex and i guess that's not bad ;) In addition I really love those games with M16+M203. Shooting grens around with such a baby in game just owns :) So why not add it to Soldat??? (as a Secondary, but you dont swap weapons) The specifications could be handled by MM so it is balanced.
=> I like that idea.

moysturfurmer
January 20, 2004, 4:12 am
I don't think we should have just another key just for that.

I don't follow. Add what key?

DesFS
January 20, 2004, 4:48 am
Key for launching a grenade out of your gun. We already have one for typical grenades, so why complicate matters?

Yes I know, a grenade launcher on your gun in a FPS or TPS is fun, but I don't think it would work as well here in Soldat.

moysturfurmer
January 20, 2004, 5:06 am
I mean the trigger button (default mouse one) fires the grenade if you switched "weapons" (in this case firing type)

DesFS
January 20, 2004, 5:46 pm
Ah. I see. Misunderstood u.

Quote: "Still, a grenade launcher on your gun in a FPS or TPS is fun, but I don't think it would work as well here in Soldat."

F842
January 20, 2004, 7:42 pm
I like the sound of this one a lot. its very balanced, as its no more pwerful than other secondaries (that fat rocket thing whos name I cant remeber). Id like to see this one in the game. kewl

Silent-Thunder
January 21, 2004, 2:44 am
So basicly you want a grenade launcher secondary weapon, which takes ammo from the stockpile of grenades you have for throwing. So the basic use of this weapon is a force multiplier that gives range and perhaps an instant explosion to your grenades thus multiplying the effectiveness of grenades.

moysturfurmer
January 21, 2004, 4:22 am
quote:Originally posted by Silent-Thunder
So basicly you want a grenade launcher secondary weapon, which takes ammo from the stockpile of grenades you have for throwing. So the basic use of this weapon is a force multiplier that gives range and perhaps an instant explosion to your grenades thus multiplying the effectiveness of grenades.

basically, only I don't want an instant explosion.

-SPI-
January 21, 2004, 6:09 am
It really shouldn't use the throwing nades, as underslung launchers use 40mm launched grenades not hand grenades. It should also have to reload after each shot.