( search forums )
map rating system
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Inquisitor
January 20, 2004, 7:32 pm
where to put this ?

[IMAGE]

As you can see above, the maximal reachable score for maps is 15 points. German students may know this system from the upper school level, the 'Oberstufe' or the 'Gymnasium'. This system is very easy to handle and is very detailed. you may not get high grades with it, but it's very fair. to get the among of points, please do it like the following:

polygon skeleton - 35 points
how good is the whole map layout - are places to hide ?, is it interesting ?, are any hopping polygons or can you fall between empty spaces ? polygon colors - 30 points
are they different ?, do they give back the maps 'character' ?, are the ycustom colors (which may often be just better) ? Scenery - 30 points
do they fit with their surrounding ?, are they colored ?, do they look realistic (not too much streched etc) ?, PLEASE CANCEL 10 POINTS IF THE MAP CONTAINS CUSTOM SCENERY!!! Bots - 20 points
As Soldat does not support auto map dl this is VERY important. No Bots = 0 points. Full working = 20 points. mistakes tak 5-10 points away. Gameplay - 35 points
does this map rock ?, is it balanced ?, are the spawn points placed right ?, may you camp or spawn kill easy?

now add al the given points and divide them through 10. round it and look in the upper list for the mark.

ATTENTION!!! It's very hard to get a really good map. Just lookk down for an example.

EXAMPLE: ( one of the best maps ever )
ctf_B2b by Michal Marcinkowski
poly skeleton, 13 points
it's interesting and you may reach a high gamespeed. but it contains many errors and you can cheat with the minigun. there are some lonely polygons just hanging out of the map. it's hard to hide. poly colors : 10 points
no individuality. some nice lightning effects, but thats all. texture twisted up sometimes. doesn't fit very often. low rating scenery , 21 points
nice indeed. colored, streched, but not too much. fits with ground. but sometimes there are the same trees only in a different size. anyway 21 points. Bots, 20 popints
no known bugs Gameplay, 31 points
this map just rocks. it fun to play with 3-4 as well as with 12-20 players. it's very balanced. minigun cheat and polybugs take 4 points away. but this is not too important

13+10+21+20+31 = 95

95/10 = 9.5 gets rounded to 10

ctf_B2b : 10 points ( B- )

G2KT
January 20, 2004, 8:20 pm
Wish we had an E in the US grading system. Then maybe i wouldent have an F :p lol

[EDIT] BTW, The grading scale seems fair though. But where at would this scale be used for the maps. On the websites where people host the maps or in the persons topic where they posted they're map..."sorry im an idiot :D"

Inquisitor
January 20, 2004, 8:38 pm
i thought of this topic folder at the Soldat Forums. 'NEW MAPS'...

Darac
January 21, 2004, 2:41 am
you cant give a rating system to everyone like this... it doesnt work... everyone rates maps differently. i probably rate them a lot harder than most ppl. you need a few control maps... maps to scale your marks and other ppls marks too. other wise its all meaningless. me giving a map a 6.5 might be you giving the same map 9. the easyest way to rate maps... is to do it your self. or average a whole bunch of ppls ratings. (whole bunch means 1--20 ppl)

Wills59
January 21, 2004, 3:16 am
Too involved. Make it simpler and quicker. Stick to A+ - D- for those areas you mentioned.

Maybe another board would be good for discussing maps/skills and rating and hyping maps, maybe not ?

Maybe We should nominate an offical rater....

Inquisitor
January 21, 2004, 2:12 pm
yep you're right. i will try to delete this topic.

liquidis x snake
January 21, 2004, 3:10 pm
Give it a start and rate my map goddamit >:|

Darac
January 21, 2004, 10:12 pm
i think one or maybe two mappers should rate them and we should have a sticky topic for the best map of the week.

kind of an award for a job well done