( search forums )
HFS!!! Damn you SONY!
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Bash Pit
Sekushi
January 21, 2004, 5:06 am
My laptop just completely collapsed.

HOLY [:-censored]ING [:-censored]!

That sucks, I was right in the middle of a game, too. Luckily, the thing was a piece of crap. FAT_32, 20GB HDD, 900mHz, 128mb or RAM, and overheated like a mofo.

Good [:-censored]ing riddance.

Time for a new computer. Well, kind of.

I was already going to build a new CPU, once I had saved 2 grand, but the sudden death of my laptop has now hastened my speed. Sadly, I only have $80, about a third of the way there. I'm going to have to borrow parts from friends, get loans, and sell that POS laptop. Hopefully then, I will have a computer that can run Soldat. I'll just have to add on from there.

This is what I have planned for the final construction of my new CPU:
-ATi Radeon 9600XT
-2 512mb of Corsair RAM
-AMD 64bit processor
-2 150gig HDDs
-1 CD-RW Drive
-1 CD-R/DVD-R Drive
-1 fan controller [CD Bay]
-4 Case fans, 3 intake, 1 outtake
-450W power supply

And some other goodies, like a motherboard, not sure which, and XP professional, all in good time. Just what I could think of at the moment.

Damn laptop.

Also, I won't be on Soldat, nor the forums for a while, so, I'll see you guys later. I'll probably check in every other day or so.

BMF
January 21, 2004, 5:30 am
i know that you can get a comp from Dell for $399 free shipping with monitor

NullShot
January 21, 2004, 6:38 am
Loose the AMD 64, buy some old Slot A compatible istead and a AsRock motherboard, because you wont need 64 until doomsday...

Spitzfiya
January 21, 2004, 6:45 am
Get a N-force 2 motherboard....Dont bother with AMD64.

A MSI K7N2-Delta is a great board...also The Asus A7N8X should be taken into consideration.

frogboy
January 21, 2004, 6:49 am
64-bit has a higher range and can calculate more at once.

16-bit processors can manage 2 bytes at one time, 32-bit processors 4 bytes, 64-bits can therefore process 8 bytes at once.

Spitzfiya
January 21, 2004, 7:00 am
Who the [:-censored] cares....There really is no preformance difference in game, your just wasting money fool

palloco
January 21, 2004, 7:58 am
quote:Originally posted by Sekushi
This is what I have planned for the final construction of my new CPU:
-ATi Radeon 9600XT
-2 512mb of Corsair RAM
-AMD 64bit processor
-2 150gig HDDs
-1 CD-RW Drive
-1 CD-R/DVD-R Drive
-1 fan controller [CD Bay]
-4 Case fans, 3 intake, 1 outtake
-450W power supply

And some other goodies, like a motherboard, not sure which, and XP professional, all in good time. Just what I could think of at the moment.

First, if you want a cheap computer you cannot afford an AMD 64,if you can buy it do it, but I do not think it is the best thing you can do
As Spitz said "A MSI K7N2-Delta is a great board...also The Asus A7N8X should be taken into consideration"
I would say you buy a A7N8X deluxe. in relation to amd 64 I have no idea which ones are the best, if possible buy one with 7.1 system incorporated... if that can be bought.
If you only want it to play soldat just buy a simple geforce4 and after a time upgrade it when nowadays best graphic cards are cheap, Buy 512 and just one HD(unless you need 2 for 2 systems) and you upgrade them later. At this moment most of games will work with that equipment, and when you see you need more powerful PC you upgrade it

frogboy
January 21, 2004, 8:07 am
Get a GeForce FX instead of the GeForce4.

Sekushi
January 21, 2004, 1:11 pm
Yeah, what I'm actually going to do is borrow a GeForce 4 from a friend, along with 256mbs of RAM, and a CD-R and monitor [maybe a monitor] for a while, until I can replace them with my own parts.

That was why my list was so high. And I'll look into the Asus A7N8X. :D