( search forums )
The quit list
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Snowden
January 22, 2004, 6:06 am
I thought it might be a good idea to start this thread so the board doesn't become saturated with quit posts. I don't know how long the list will be, I may be the only one. In any case, if you are quitting or feel like quitting in light of 1.2's release, simply leave your name. However, please don't post this:

- I love 1.2! it's the greatest!
- Barret wasn't nerfed! but law was! this sux!
- Stop whining! you're just not used to it!

I know it's a little early to make conclusions yet but it isn't just a simple matter of having to learn the new weapon changes. There are a multitude of other reasons besides that. A lot of my personal reasons have been dwelling in my mind during the 6 month period between 1.1.5 and 1.2 that still haven't been satisfied by 1.2's release. Here are some of them:

The game

It's addictiveness
You guessed it, the neverending religious war of Barret vs. Automatics, and the wealth of ignorance both sides have about it.
Soldat's release process. All the bugs and cheats for 1.1.5 could have been fixed and a nice clean 1.1.6 released, but instead new features had to be crammed in, resulting in the half year wait. Before one feature is fixed, a new one is added, simply leading to more bugs, more wait, and a mediocre playing experience.
The inconsistent and buggy server software, never knowing whether you're going to get booted out because of a phony map error or if you have to manually respawn because the server can't do it for you. The dedicated server software has always been delayed and the people who are actually willing to host a dedicated can't, leading to
Never enough solid, fast, dedicated servers. DNA is the only server that doesn't spike like hell for me, so it's the only one I can stand playing on, despite my terrible 200+ ping. Most other servers are just some guy in another continent playing with bots, while I get to sit there and watch the lag ball spike back and forth between red and orange.
Compared to other games, the horrible netcode. I hoped 1.2 would be a drastic improvement, but little has changed. Everyone unknowingly warps and get accused of lagging up the server while seeming fine on your side, and there's nothing you can do about it.
The buggy map maker. I had to re-do a map I spent hours working on simply because the program didn't ask me to save when closing (yet it warns me when I forget to compile when saving [?]). The same map almost basically got ruined because I was unable to delete scenery I accidentally misplaced. I'm sure the interface maker is equally neglected.
The map bugs. A little bump in the polygon means flying across the map and dying.
The bloated cheat protection which bans the innocent while the cheaters speedhack away.
Having to wait half a year for 1.2 but the threat of being banned because you're curious just how the beta is going.
Entire games being ruined because idlers, people disconnecting with the flag, polybugs open for abuse, and the worthless vote system so it is hopeless to stop any of it.

The people

Let's face it, the average player is 14 years old (mentally and/or physically) and isn't mature enough to have a decent game/attitude. The rest seem to just smoke pot or drink alcohol or take medication for their disorders I probably can't count with my two hands.
Games are lost because for some reason people confuse Soldat for IRC.
People confuse the boards for an IRC chatroom. 90% of the board is just worthless spam. Each valid idea someone puts forth in a post gets replies like "You're an idiot" or "I agree ^_^" , with no justification to accompany it. Each valid idea someone puts forth in a post randomly gets sidetracked into a little personal flame war between two people just because they saw each other in the same thread. When all that isn't happening, the better half of a thread is spent by the author trying to explain their idea over and over again only because everyone is too lazy to read it all the way through or maybe just too inept. It's all spam.
All hate, little love

So, this is Snowden taking a (probably temporary) leave of absence. I don't know many of you, but it seems on these boards the only knowing that happens is from the spam people spew and have wars about. So it doesn't matter.

Finally, Michal, you rock. I appreciate the hard work you have done and respect all the weight you have on your shoulders, having to deal with all the whiners such as myself day in day out, but all of it has lost it's touch for me.

Post if you're leaving, otherwise hit your back button now.

fabmanx
January 22, 2004, 6:19 am
Yea Fabmanx reporting out of soldat, i'll play with my clan and clan matches but im out, no more pubbies for me.

LinK
January 22, 2004, 7:10 am
i'm out of 1.2 except for matches, i'm sticking to 1.1.5

Camping_Carl
January 22, 2004, 7:46 am
TFS quit also... my friend... :( i started soldat when i was 14 = \ to bad i was good like now LMAO i just rock!

Hmmmm....... lots of the vets quit...... im still going to keep up with soldat atleast every week ill play :) so dont worry EVERY ONE! you still have me ! W00T cheer yes cheer i said dammit cheer!

BMF
January 22, 2004, 5:25 pm
people you make me laugh

no you CC, you make me smile happily

Camping_Carl
January 22, 2004, 5:51 pm
oo im so happy! i make people smile i hate the new version only because its making my friends leave :(

BMF
January 22, 2004, 6:38 pm
tell you friends to stop whining for 5 min (fabmanx and TFS)

sauron_the_deceiver
January 22, 2004, 7:34 pm
"Let's face it, the average player is 14 years old (mentally and/or physically) and isn't mature enough to have a decent game/attitude. The rest seem to just smoke pot or drink alcohol or take medication for their disorders I probably can't count with my two hands."

Actually, the average player is 16-17, as when Soldat started up the average player was 14 and they've all aged (including me) a couple of years. And saying people are mentally 14, you can't talk because you're the one whos bitching at everyone because Soldat isn't how they like it.

"Games are lost because for some reason people confuse Soldat for IRC"

No, games are lost when people get spoilt and run off from the server because people won't stop talking like the brat asks. People chatting only gives the others more kills, because you get soldats stood around not moving or shooting. And when they call you a chatkiller, tell them its their fault for chatting in the first place. Also, it may flood the chat, but if someone is too retarded to not be able to distinguish between 'Hey, haven't seen you in a while' and 'Enemy Flag Carrier Under!', they shouldn't bother playing computer games.

"Soldat's release process. All the bugs and cheats for 1.1.5 could have been fixed and a nice clean 1.1.6 released, but instead new features had to be crammed in, resulting in the half year wait. Before one feature is fixed, a new one is added, simply leading to more bugs, more wait, and a mediocre playing experience."

Between 1.0.5b and 1.1 was a half year wait. The idea of switching from 1.1 to 1.2 instead of the previous 1.1.5 to 1.1.6 was because there was so many changes in 1.1.6 that it was too bulky for a low-key update. The whole point was for many new features.

"Never enough solid, fast, dedicated servers. DNA is the only server that doesn't spike like hell for me, so it's the only one I can stand playing on, despite my terrible 200+ ping. Most other servers are just some guy in another continent playing with bots, while I get to sit there and watch the lag ball spike back and forth between red and orange"

Dude, you are an american trying to play in a british server. What do you expect, ultra clean lag?

"Compared to other games, the horrible netcode. I hoped 1.2 would be a drastic improvement, but little has changed. Everyone unknowingly warps and get accused of lagging up the server while seeming fine on your side, and there's nothing you can do about it."

Yeah, commercial games with teams of highly experienced programmers to bring net play to new heights, in comparison to soldat and a solitary 19 year old whos just trying to make a fun game for him to play. Don't you think he has better things to do than spend all day coding better servers?

"The bloated cheat protection which bans the innocent while the cheaters speedhack away"

Cheat protection blocks innocents because they run other programs alongside Soldat, which the readme strongly recommends you avoid. It also ignored speed hacks because speed hacking was an unseen level of hacking which the protection couldn't do anything against. However, 1.2 has new anti-cheat which protects against speed hacks - that's the kind of thing Michal has spent 6 months doing.

"Entire games being ruined because idlers, people disconnecting with the flag, polybugs open for abuse, and the worthless vote system so it is hopeless to stop any of it.
"

1) Idlers can now be vote kicked.
2) People disconnecting with flag doesn't affect the game. The flag is dropped where they were stood.
3) Polybugs do not affect games because most are either too hard to take advantage of or take too long to take advantage of.
4) Vote kick and vote map work now! Jesus, you spend 10 minutes writing a post about how to hate 1.2, when you could be playing the game or reading the manual and finding out half your arguements were corrected in the new release.

I'm sorry I had to rant, but it needs to be said. Its your choice - you can hate the game because its not perfect, or you can love whats been done. Hell, I'm a beta tester, but the final release excites me as much as the next man because I let it.

BMF
January 22, 2004, 8:45 pm
thank you sauron

?
January 22, 2004, 8:49 pm
i think its fine just i can't get my mod to work in it =/

SuperKill
January 22, 2004, 8:49 pm
cant...tell...between...italic font..and normal.
anyway, bye ?
stupid reason to quit.

n00bface
January 22, 2004, 9:27 pm
Yay for Sauron! I love 1.2 now!

NullShot
January 23, 2004, 3:30 pm
I quit, because I got bored, scholarship suffered because of the forums etc etc...[;)],I guess i've just grown to hate u all...

it's nothing personal
(oh, and 1.2 is pure,..well, u know what)

Camping_Carl
January 23, 2004, 5:50 pm
XD HAHAAH im 16 you whores and i Kick ass and your ass is kicked by me and i am the one that kicked the ass that is being kicked from your behind so ha

gi.joe
January 24, 2004, 3:07 am
Snow, u are an idiot.

societies_punishment
January 24, 2004, 4:28 am
just to let you know ssince every one is leaveing i will NOT be quitting soldat

[:D] im here to stay until i get so good I OWN EVERYTHING

no but seriously you guys suck you have to admire my fortatude everyone leaveing new bugs to contend with compatability problems and 21.6k connection im getting worn down by all this but im not leaveing IM STAYIN .....

why must the soldat commmunity be split in 2 what kinda world is this when you cannot even kill online with your friends

frogboy
January 24, 2004, 4:46 am
WARNING: Several opinions may conflict. To those who don't agree, go to hell.

Roy
January 24, 2004, 5:10 am
Well, that's too bad, Snowden. You seem like a decent person, but you get too caught up in all the small bad things to enjoy the small good things. There are still plenty of good sportsmen out there to enjoy a game with without getting called a "noob" or having to put up with misbehaving children.

I find plenty of good servers to play on (sometimes they're pretty empty though) so you can't really say it's hard to find games. Just join an empty one, have some patience, and sooner or later someone is bound to join.

Hitman
January 24, 2004, 2:21 pm
Snowden, you loser, what do you mean you quit. I remmember seeing you on some sever, just yesterday! If your gonna leave, leave!

TIR_Blade
January 24, 2004, 4:42 pm
Yo [:-censored] off snowden's still coo, but seriusly, people are starting to quit just because they think they'll be vets for doing it, not sayin that's u snowden, it's not in fact. But people quit for actual frigen reasons not making up reasons to quit just because oldies are quiting and u wanna look cool. Again that's not u snowden. Cya in like a week snowden, cuz we all know, u aint leavin soldat, and soldat's not leaving u :p

societies_punishment
January 25, 2004, 8:01 am
leave snowden alone *dont worry snowden ill be your friend*

dont listen to these guys you must stay

BMF
January 25, 2004, 8:37 pm
CC i dont think he said he quit