( search forums )
Chakra (the loved one) talks 1.2
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Chakra
January 23, 2004, 9:50 am
Confusing, isn't it.

..at first, I must say, I really didn't like it. And since the later stages of the beta i've been very confused as to what lane the game was taking exactly.

Is it becoming more arcadey?
Is it becoming more sim/realistic?

No longer can you burst in, GI Jenkin's style, guns blazing and nades throwing and expect to do anything extreme. Granted, this method still gives results in one way or another....

Camping, cover fire, flanking and long-range battles seem to be on the menu in my eyes, whereas before it was more usually a matter of shooting from afar while colliding with one another at high speeds, then making the final shot(s) up close.

With this, any sense of 'dueling' with enemies seems extinct. Before, i'd come across an enemy and exchange fire and dodge for sometimes upto 10 good seconds. It was like a little dance, just without any fairy wings, leotards or skinny french women.

Now it's brought down to a more tactical level: who sees, aims, and shoots first. Often sitting still, waiting for an enemy and then proceeding, while frowned upon, seems to get more results, and slowly edges your whole team towards the flag.

I can't say i'm happy, though. I mean, although 1.1.5 had it's fair share of strategy and what nots, it had a very 'immediate' feel.

1.1.5 was the action lover's solution to basic strategy and quick longer lasting battles. For me, that's changed to something almost completely different. While certain 'arcade' elements remain, or some introduced (m79 jumping anyone?), it's all gotten a bit more hardcore. No longer can I go to soldat for a quick fun and relatively basic blast, it's become something more ...serious?...

Meh...the new soldat is nice. And i'll get used to it. It's just one helluva change from what most of us played it for: a game you could turn to for a bit of instant action.
Now it seems I gotta put in alot more thought, and time, and patience to get my fair share of fun.

palloco
January 23, 2004, 10:44 am
That is the problem, now you need collaboration more than ever, and since this is a fast paced game no collaboration is possible unless you play with your clan mates a defined tactics

SuperKill
January 23, 2004, 10:45 am
oh sorry i was confused.. i thought you were the one saying 1.1.5 is totally unballanced [IMAGE]

choco
January 23, 2004, 10:58 am
i agree give 1.2 some time, ive seen people behaving like real soldiers, giving suppressing fire and taking cover and the best thing is becuase of the new damage system the people getting shot at dive for cover too :D

eyic
January 23, 2004, 11:03 am
ah well its not really as bad as it felt right after i downloaded it :/

arC
January 23, 2004, 11:18 am
Nice speech there Chakra, that really meant something to me.

El_Mariachi
January 23, 2004, 11:28 am
ehum.
For me, ít is the total loss of strategy and control that makes me..., hesitant. I mean, U actually die all the time :) If it isnt from 50000 bullets per sec, it is the weird bouncing effects that makes u hit the instant kill polys in the roof. If i try to get down in the small crack after the first bridge on red side on b2b, i bounce like a flipper ball. The physics and the m79 jumps, altho very funny, makes the game a little to spectacular for my tastes. On the other hand, there are some nice improvements.
And, just as chakra said, one will propably get used to it and all. Altho, one final question, or two maybe.
Which version is more fun?
If u say 1.1.5 on 1), is 1.2 enough fun to continue playing?

/Mariachi, who says 1) 1.1.5 2) yes

SuperKill
January 23, 2004, 11:44 am
i dont get it, 'problem' was the barret at first.. now its the automatics ?

Enik
January 23, 2004, 11:48 am
Its always the automatics! :D

EvilLaugh
January 23, 2004, 11:51 am
quote:Originally posted by palloco
That is the problem, now you need collaboration more than ever, and since this is a fast paced game no collaboration is possible unless you play with your clan mates a defined tactics

You can't do team play on pubs. It just doesn't work unless everyone on your team is willing, thus the reason why everyone likes people like TFS and the other real "CAPTIANS" of the game that actually made you a part of a team rather than playing lone wolf all the time.

We need to have more Mixed scrims and stuff, just for fun games with people, much like the Team Death Match fun that allowed us to play with 2 teams rather than 4....

I'm going to say this once as well... I actually like some of the new changes, though I honestly hate the fact that all auto's are just too strong.(The strye takes how many bullets to kill?! It used to be a lot but now it's like 4 shots!) Nerfing them back to 1.5 would be nice actually, they seemed to have a very good feel about them.

I really like some of the new things like, M79/Nade Jumping, Explosion, Smoke, Recording, Speed of play, and just feels like it has the potential for a lot more fun in general, just as long as the community can help the game through, so despite all my bitching and whining, I actually prefer the new one, but only slightly.

Chakra
January 23, 2004, 11:55 am
The 'problem' is the complete overhaul of the very style of gameplay. 1.1.5 i'd say was a pick-up-and-go kind of game. Although 1.2 is alright, I find I have to put in alot more effort, pre-emption, and teamwork to get anything out of it now.

And ...yeah...like Mari said, the physics is a little peculiar, not so much so for the world of soldat, but that a game that now seems less focused on getting about ASAP now has 'nade/m79 jumps and miniguns throwing you about like a cannonball.

sande24
January 23, 2004, 12:19 pm
I think they should make the barret back like it was in 1.1.5... and the EXTREME combat should come back too...

Aquarius
January 23, 2004, 12:24 pm
Soldat is an extreme sport now [;)] It is spectacular. I like it.

AerialAssault
January 23, 2004, 12:27 pm
EXTREME combat?

frogboy
January 23, 2004, 12:32 pm
Soldat has turned into a game of hide and seek. You charge in with your Deagles, only to be sniped a screen away from some punk-ass barret user.

El_Mariachi
January 23, 2004, 12:59 pm
Superkill, are u replying to me?
In that case, what is it u dont get? They do to much damage, ure dead in an instant, Id say, change the autos damage back like it was in 1.1.5, nerf the barret a little.
/Mariachi

Chakra
January 23, 2004, 1:02 pm
*sigh* ..

Thats exactly what michal did back in 1.2b

People complained. Alot. 10 pages in fact. All of them devoted barret lovers.

And here we are!

Squal
January 23, 2004, 1:06 pm
quote:Originally posted by El_Mariachi
Superkill, are u replying to me?
In that case, what is it u dont get? They do to much damage, ure dead in an instant, Id say, change the autos damage back like it was in 1.1.5, nerf the barret a little.
/Mariachi

i've been saying that ever since i heard some beta testers thought

Anti-mff
January 23, 2004, 1:38 pm
I´ve just been playing for a while before the newest version came and therefore don´t have the real grip on how Soldat has been developing through time. Though I have to say that 1.2 seems a bit better. Perhaps the AK could have been a bit less and Ruger a bit more powerful (should normally be a two-shot-kill-weapon) but I really like the changes in M79 (fires slightly faster), Law (you don´t have to stand up and sit to fire it and that you can´t fire it in air makes battles more realistic) and Barret (the changes in the scope makes life a bit easier for non-snipers without making the game monotonious as it would be completely without it).
The problem with games that have a simple but fine working base (like Soldat) is that they in general aren´t made for serious battle. When you´ve done it you´re done with it. The thing with Soldat that I think makes it differ from these creatings is right here. Being a 2D-shooter with serious real time action is what makes Soldat so great. If you have to put time and effort in the game it becomes more fun and stimulating. Therefore I can´t see how an eventual process of the game making its gameplay more serious could ever make the game worse (of course it could be done in the wrong way but in itself it is a good thing).

BMF
January 23, 2004, 2:19 pm
Chakra, you were always fond of Realistic mode. Now you are start bitching about the new version. I am confused

TIR_Blade
January 23, 2004, 3:00 pm
This thread has no meaning other to start flaming and judging others, just end this thread and try posting something useful for once instead of just posting ur oppinion to get flamed.

LiL_FuKa
January 23, 2004, 6:27 pm
Are you kidding? The only thing I don't like about this version is the fact that in DM everyone has the same colours ? :/

?
January 23, 2004, 6:36 pm
chak i think i love you now more than ever!!

Omenalimonadi-
January 23, 2004, 9:00 pm
Very right.

1.2 is complete poo.

wert21
January 23, 2004, 10:19 pm
Bah,i still like soldat,but:

1.everyone is using my weapon,ak (i know,it's not MINE,but many ppl said that ak sux, FALSE)
2.now kill is too easy;
3.strange bugs.

btw i love soldat 1.2...always the best.

Chakra
January 23, 2004, 11:01 pm
Little confused myself BMF ...but real mode in 1.1.5 was still a pick-up-and-go style for me. Maybe I was just used to it?

peeljammer
January 23, 2004, 11:57 pm
The style of gameplay has totally changed to realistic arcade; tight and free. I could adapt myself to the version in time.

But the m79 and nade jumping will waste the new vision of the game.