( search forums )
Soldat 1.2 Improvements: What didn't/did work
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
DesFS
January 25, 2004, 6:54 pm
We got posts all over the forum with Soldat sucks or it's dope, etc.

So I'm going to create a list (I hope you do the same) of all the stuff that sucked in 1.2 and the other stuff that worked, and if it gets big enough, I'm gonna compile it and send it off to Michal so next version he can improve it.

Here's an example:

What didn't work:

- The barrett is still used as an assault weapon. It's a sniper rifle for goodness sakes!!!

What did work:

- m72 law reload time/ability to fire while in prone.
- landscape looks a lot better

Now we can have all the flaming and bs in one place. Great. [:D]
(Be specific when you say what works and what doesn't)

MikeShinoda.pheonix
January 26, 2004, 8:39 am
1) barret is easily dodged
2) i see nothing wrong with 1.2, accept a few bugs in joining the servers.

villekallio
January 26, 2004, 2:13 pm
Extra realistic field of view works but its not effective enough i think. :(

sande24
January 26, 2004, 2:46 pm
when make ur soldat prone, it doesnt do it... happens sometimes...
cant join some servers...
filter is always on and can't change it

bLaStEr
January 26, 2004, 3:09 pm
Cheating bug...
Major bugs...
Hosting bugs...

1.2 is tah mastah :D

SILENT
January 26, 2004, 3:30 pm
Those damn bad packets >.<'

swanofnever
January 26, 2004, 6:49 pm
hey,
improvements:

-no more "slowly sliding down" when standing still on slopes.. WICKED!
-the extra particles (blood, explosions) and bullet/casing gfx are great
-you can crouch-walk while zoomed out w/ barret -- this is pretty cool
-barret zoom is decreased slightly
-chainsaw is finally a bit useful ;)
-law can't be instantly fired
-absolutely every weapon is effective for killing, i.e it's very easy to kill no matter which weap you choose (of course, certain situations lend themselves to certain weaps ;)

problems:
-as a direct result of the last "improvement" above, it's a lot easier to die -- but i don't think this is really BAD, it just changes the feel of the game a bit and requires a periood of adjustment. (like getting used to the nades-explode-other-nades thing)
-the bad packets

anyway.. i think 1.2 is awesome, yes it's different, yes i miss things about 1.15 (such as being able to feel skilled when winning using mp5) but once you get used to it, it's great.

Electro_cyc
January 26, 2004, 8:43 pm
Problems:

quote:- The barrett is still used as an assault weapon. It's a sniper rifle for goodness sakes!!!

-Yes! I think thats the most important one and I agree. I dont think it should be nurfed completly though, you should be able to shoot it at full force from a distance or laying down but when you run around and use it as an assault weapon then it should do a lot less damage. And it because a sniper rifle should be used for snipering, that would make the game a lot more interesting.

-The bad packets thing.

Improvements:
I dont think there's a point in listing these, everything else is great.

Aquarius
January 26, 2004, 8:59 pm
quote:Originally posted by Electro_cyc
Problems:

quote:- The barrett is still used as an assault weapon. It's a sniper rifle for goodness sakes!!!

-Yes! I think thats the most important one and I agree. I dont think it should be nurfed completly though, you should be able to shoot it at full force from a distance or laying down but when you run around and use it as an assault weapon then it should do a lot less damage.

Less damage? Why?!!! No... it should be LESS ACCURATE. The only question is WHEN it should be less accurate.

Improvements:
- graphics (new explosion effect etc)
- physics (m79 jumping etc)
- ultra realistic field of view (now realistic mode is much more popular)
- demo recording
- weapons are balanced except the barret

Problems:
- bugs
- barret (should be less accurate when Soldier is moving)
- ctf_death (no, it is not fun)

?
January 26, 2004, 9:18 pm
i think the barret should be very unaccurate while moving, and the scope changed back like it was in 1.1.5 this would decrease attcking with barret

Aquillion
January 27, 2004, 4:41 pm
I agree. I think that that would make the battlefield much more interesting.

-SPI-
January 28, 2004, 12:54 am
It seems obvious to me that Michal saw how the barret was being used (as a railgun) and optimised it for that use, although the issues with the scope should't matter for a sniper who gets set in and waits.

Anyway, as for 1.2 my favourite improvement at the moment is the m79, the trails on the grenades make it easier to see them, I often had trouble spotting them on light colour backgrounds.