( search forums )
Slightest of ideas for the b...
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Mechanoid
January 26, 2004, 10:40 pm
Barret. There, i said it, and I know you're thinking "Not another one." and then copy-paste flame #410gz... but if you'll read below you'll see that it's REASONABLE (and not totally insane) ...

Lets base accuracy of the barret on player movement speed and position with semi-reduced damage the faster you move, as well.

Now, before you copy-paste flame #410gz read my reasoning, atleast. Please? The faster you move with something as heavy, powerful, and in-accurate while scoped like the barret, the harder it is to aim the sucker because you become fatigued more the faster you move with it. As well, how easy do you think it is to keep a ~14 pound sniper rifle level while in mid-air traveling at a decent speed? Not very. This explains the severe accuracy drop you'd suffer if you stood, running, with the barret. For referance, left is most inaccurate, right is most accurate: (Speed, Position)

Running, Standing - Walking, Crouced - Stationary, Prone

The lessend damage is a side-effect of the first. How? Again, it's not easy to keep a ~14 pound sniper rifle level while running. You'll hit him if he's close, but you might only get his left pinky finger or right foot. It wont be a clear-cut and pre-defined % of damage drop... It'll be a chart based on your Current speed, position, and then have a variance of a % tacted onto it from the previous values.

For example, you're prone and absolutly statonary. You hit him, and you blow his head off with no penalty because: 1) You wern't moving 2) You position was the best possible for accuracy 3) The variance between the damages was minimal because of the previous two.

However, take that same occurance and turn it into you're going very fast, jetting, and standing and you'll be the one missing your head because: 1) You were moving very quickly, and can't control the M82 as well 2) Your position was the worst for accuracy 3) The damage variance was extreme because of the previous values. Lets say the Barret does 110% damage. If you stand, you get less accuracy (harder to properly hold a ~14 pound sniper rifle for a long time) but your bullets remain potent (You can still hit him reliably)

HOWEVER, as soon as you start moving your gun begins to sway... much less accuracy and because you're less accurate you dont do as much damage (missing a heart by 1 inch will give the dude a nasty hole, none the less, you didn't kill him instantly.) because you didn't hit the right body part.

This super glues, tacks, nails, screws, and otherwise holds the M82 players in place as snipers if they want to use the M82 well enough to insta-gib someone easilly. But please note: A shot at about melee range will always kill, skill can make up for the accuracy loss somewhat, and you can STILL insta-kill someone while running in a standing position... It just isn't as likely to happen.

K. Done. Fin. Copy-paste if you want to...[xx(]

moysturfurmer
January 27, 2004, 1:16 am
^good idea^

kevith
January 27, 2004, 2:06 am
This sounds good... isn't this kind of what the barret was like in the 1st versions of 1.2 before it's 'de-nerfing'? I like the idea that you get more accurate the more stable your position is. If we were going to make a continuum of barret accuracy positions would it be something like this?

- Prone (most accurate)
- Crouching
- Standing (medium)
- Running
- Jumping/In air (least accurate)

AerialAssault
January 27, 2004, 2:44 am
an AK74 weighs about 18 pounds, y not do the same for it. barrets weigh like 25 pounds

Roy
January 27, 2004, 3:34 am
Gee, the exact same idea I posted in the "Proposal" (I think) topic. ;)

I think it's ok, but it shouldn't be overdone too much. What I think would be better is having the Barret round be more affected by how the person is moving. What I'm talking about here is basic physics. If you're driving a truck 100 miles per hour down the freeway, and shoot straight at a telephone pole from the truck, you'd never hit the pole. That's because the bullet would be traveling in the same direction as the truck in addition to its forward movement.

This effect is not really seen in Soldat. You could be falling at 70 miles per hour, but as you fire, your bullets act as if you were stationary when you shot them.

Make the barret so that your vector greatly influences the trajectory of the barret round. If you're flying along really fast, make it so that when you fire, the bullet will also be flying really fast in the same direction.

pinace
January 27, 2004, 3:56 pm
I also posted an almost-identical idea. [8D]

kevith
January 27, 2004, 5:20 pm
This basic idea has been making the rounds lately and proposed my many. How hard would it be to implement what you are proposing Roy? I've read (well skimmed at least) your other posts on the topic but this is the 1st time I've understood it. It seems like it would make everybody happy bc barret would then mostly be used as a sniper rifle, but if you're really good you could learn to compensate for your movement vectors to an extent.

Leo Da Lunerfox
January 28, 2004, 5:46 am
*claps hand at roy*
Best...Idea...ever...