( search forums )
Deactivate parachutes
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Help / Resources
Shyo
January 28, 2004, 1:05 am
is this possible? because I'm working on a huge CTF map, and you could fly through the whole map with the parachute.. and that's not the point of CTF.

bb_vb
January 28, 2004, 5:37 am
There is no way to actually turn off parachute spawning, but I think the way it determines if you have a parachute is your height above the ground.

So if you placed a small bit of land underneath where you spawn it would stop the parachutes. I tried it and it works. Or you could just make them spawn near the ground. The only thing is this might wreck your map design a bit.

b00stA
January 29, 2004, 6:13 pm
bb vb is right, you can't disable the parachutes.
You could create a helicopter (or something similiar) in the air and let the soldiers spawn in there. Then they could just drop out of it without the parachutes..

MikeShinoda.pheonix
February 2, 2004, 4:58 am
make a non-colliding poly up in the air that nothing collides with. it works

NightCabbage
February 2, 2004, 7:45 am
Really?

LOL

Dodgy detection method :P

*check for polygon*

should be

*check for polygon that actually is relevant*

lol

bb_vb
February 3, 2004, 9:11 am
Ah, i'll have to dissagree with you there MikeShinoda, I made a test map and found mixed results... I spawned without a chute a couple of times but most of the time it still happened. And that was with 1 each of non-colliding, only bullets, and normal. And the normal one worked always as expected.

lol, so it seems Michal didn't take the cheap way out after all ey NC? (this time ;), although he could have added a 'turn off parachutes' option in the first place :)

I did notice one other thing as i was trying this: the random number generator is really bad...

NightCabbage
February 12, 2004, 11:57 am
LOL!

Well, I think that a nice solution (more complex, but cool) would be to add locations in.

An 'open chute' location and an 'EJECT!!' location :P

When your soldat touches one such location, the chute either opens or is discarded.

eg.

A map with a helicopter at the top.

Someone jumps out of the helicopter, and then their chute opens. When They get near the ground, their chute ejects.

bb_vb
February 12, 2004, 11:51 pm
That's a brilliant idea! It would fix all the probs with the chutes and make it more realistic at the same time.

You could also use it to save ppl from having to fall a long distance really slowly with a parachute so they don't die at the bottom - they could just free-fall most of the way, then near the bottom their chute opens and they're fine.

And this could be built into the waypoint system too, seeing as it would work in the same way. Just have new options on waypoints:

'Open chute'
'Discard chute'

So as soon as they (bots OR people) touch the waypoint that happens.

The only prob is that one would need a lot of waypoints to cover a large area, which may be required. So perhaps another solution could be used instead.

But anyway, I think it would be an awesome feature to have in the mm.