( search forums )
School newspapers? Creative writing? Anyone?
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Duke33
January 30, 2004, 1:57 am
Hey, I expect that most of the people on this forum could really care less about writing things, but I know there are some intellectuals and other people who appreciate that sort of stuff. So.

Some of my friends and I started up a newspaper ('The Spoon') at my school--its a pretty new one, so it hasnt had one yet.

I was wondering if anyone here worked for or ran a newspaper at their school or university. I don't paticularily need any advice, but I just thought it would be interesting to find out if others liked writing and such too. I haven't noticed many threads about writing, so I thought we might as well just talk about newspapers, and creative writing (poetry, stories, so on). I enjoy both, and I think some others do.

Of course, probably people could care less. But hey, theres always a few, eh? If not then, well, whatever. Au revoir.

enjoyincubus
January 30, 2004, 2:11 am
I, for one, enjoy writing and reading great literature from around the world. I'm quite sure that, being on the type of forum that we are residing on at the moment, you will not find many articulate thinkers. The fickle teenage minds may meander from time to time, swerving in between lanes, but the road that leads into the world of creative thinking is quite perpendicular to the real world that many are accustomed to, and usually an exit ramp simply cannot be found. Thus, many great minds are lost and never become enlightened by the world of writing.

I'm in a poetry club at school *cough*STFU*cough* and I spend time reading (when not involved in basketball or football). Yesterday I found myself sitting in the sun reading, with nothing around except for the birds and the gently running creek at my feet.

But umm...if you didn't know me too well, you would never guess that I like to write. If one takes the time to actually get to know me, however, one grasps an appreciation for the mind of the wandering fool who thinks he can be a true writer and a gamer at the same time. :D

liquidis x snake
January 30, 2004, 2:13 am
Actually, I'm the head cartoonist for my school newspaper. Been on since freshman year, unanimously decided to be the best cartoonist in the school. Heh.

Here's a sample sketch I did for the top story article about the RIAA.

It's just a sketch, I haven't inked it yet.

[IMAGE]

BMF
January 30, 2004, 2:27 am
Incubus i always knew you liked it in the ass. But you never made it that obvoius before

Have y'all noticed how Incubus turns every thread into a narration of his own life?

Dude, Duke asked for newspaper advice. Not a story of you sitting on the grass with the birds, after you are done with your ball practice because you are definately the best athlete in school. And you are also smarter and better than all of us dimwits.

Incbus you are even worse than TFS.

enjoyincubus
January 30, 2004, 2:36 am
quote:I don't paticularily need any advice, but I just thought it would be interesting to find out if others liked writing and such too. I haven't noticed many threads about writing, so I thought we might as well just talk about newspapers, and creative writing (poetry, stories, so on). I enjoy both, and I think some others do.
quote:Dude, Duke asked for newspaper advice. Not a story of you sitting on the grass with the birds, after you are done with your ball practice because you are definately the best athlete in school. And you are also smarter and better than all of us dimwits.

Ah, I'm quite glad that you knew exactly what I was getting at. I just wanted to brag at how great of an athlete I am and how I am much smarter than every other solitary person on this planet. It's great to see that someone actually recognizes my strengths. EVEN BETTER THAN TFS?!?! Thanks BMF!!!I FEEL FLABERGHASTED!!![/sarcasm]

?
January 30, 2004, 3:02 am
i did some poetry im my day, a few were published in some book in usa and uk i moved to songs now

morpheus
January 30, 2004, 3:09 am
even though you're not asking for advice, i'll pass along a few tips from my past experience that you may find useful.

1) write it, then read it aloud. repeat process until it sounds just as good aloud as it looks on paper.

2) keep it short, simple, and to the point. most articles can be written within 2 - 3 paragraphs, 300 - 500 words max.

3) and most importantly, use common words and phrases that everyone can understand, while at the same time adding you're own certain panache to liven it up a bit.

juice _ box
January 30, 2004, 4:21 am
quote:Incubus i always knew you liked it in the ass. But you never made it that obvoius before

Have y'all noticed how Incubus turns every thread into a narration of his own life?

Dude, Duke asked for newspaper advice. Not a story of you sitting on the grass with the birds, after you are done with your ball practice because you are definately the best athlete in school. And you are also smarter and better than all of us dimwits.

Incbus you are even worse than TFS.

/rofl, your my hero.

gi.joe
January 30, 2004, 6:51 am
lol EI that was a perty storry u told bak ther..

but we dun been fickle minded teenagers from the stix, lackin in intellect and wat not
We dont take to kindly to yo types round these paarts...

~dude

koil
January 30, 2004, 7:21 am
well, i sent a 'paper work' for my city's local newspaper.. still didnt got response for it tho.

i like writing. i can express myself fully with it. the pen is like my throat. each time he meets his fellow man, he cant stop writing. help me.

also, literature is also one of my fav subjects :)

anyway, not sure if my tips will help you, but it worth a try.

have good confidence. dont afraid to write what comes up in your head. take advantage on evrything you can to make it look bad/good . remember - if it works on tv, it will work on writing too ;) .

before youre senting your paper, read it again. then, wait a few days and read it again. if you got something to change - change. most of the 'teenagers' opinions gets changed evry other day, so its importent not to contredicte (?) your own opinions.

let the pen control your feelings. when youre happy - write about happy stuff. when youre mad - write about irrateting stuff. etc.

that fuking sniper
January 30, 2004, 7:31 am
A side note: EI isnt worse than me when it comes to bragging...WTF kind of comparison was that, BMF? Get your facts straight. I'm the main bragger here, dont question my unparalled rule.

As for the matter at hand: I have never participated in a school newspaper, and wont really try to. I dont like the public. And yes BMF that is because I'm better than everyone in the world. :)

SoldatStriker
January 30, 2004, 8:47 am
All the writers are coming in here and writing long posts. [:-censored] that.

I worked for my school newspaper The Prowler as a reporter in High School, and worked professionally as an Editorial Assistant and Webmaster for my college newspaper The West Georgian. Those papers now suck because I don't write for them any more. No joke.

This concludes this post.
Go and [:-censored] yourself.
Have a nice day![:D]

Cr4cK
January 30, 2004, 9:17 pm
Anyway, school aint kewl, get a life... and shave yer balls before i dash my kewl g00gle 1337 bar at yer left eye![8]

Weed
January 30, 2004, 11:08 pm
well, i never been in the school paper... never tryed to, even tho i always had the best notes in the writing lessons (not now, cuz i hardly go to school) but yes, i wrote songs for all the bands i had, i wrote poems, and i wrote stories, everything back in the day. so yes, gl to u, may ur paper pick up fast and be readed ;)

gi.joe
January 30, 2004, 11:21 pm
cr4ck, ure starting to sound a hell of a lot like CC....

Souza
January 30, 2004, 11:49 pm
ive writen some articles to the newspaper of my school.. it wasnt anything fancy, 2 paragraphs piece of crap about some school trips..
just keep it close to the reader, write about recen events/things happening at your schools and so on..
u may read this and say.. i didnt ask for advice, but i gave you some free ones ;)
writing is cool :D

n/a
January 31, 2004, 1:20 am
One advice: Always write with reading eyes.

Oh , and whatever you write, don't write it with the intension to publish it. Good work will be published. At least one day.

gi.joe
January 31, 2004, 4:44 am
thats deep man

real deep..

Essentle
January 31, 2004, 6:05 pm
I've been writing about 20 - 30 pages long stories in finnish... and I won an award with one of my writings

SuperKill
February 1, 2004, 2:19 am
damn i cant even TYPE 2 - 3 pages in my own language.. or english

frogboy
February 1, 2004, 2:53 am
I can barely manage 1...

liquidis x snake
February 1, 2004, 4:08 am
I've managed to write a 92 page play about a 30's New York City, with mobsters and what not.

It's a tale of lies, betrayal, love, family, friends, and enemies. Not too shabby if you ask me. I turned it into a play at my school. Heh.

BMF
February 1, 2004, 4:27 am
wow

gi.joe
February 2, 2004, 8:18 am
hardout... nice LxS

u asian beast

Duke33
February 3, 2004, 6:48 am
Whats an asian beast? No...wait, I dont want to know. Go away. (Whatever slang is used though, 92 pages. Wow. Keep on going, LxS, you can go places if you have the dedication to do that.)

Some impressive stuff. I anticipated the kids (emphasis ;) Just joking.) making fun of the writers, although I should make fun of them since everyone is entitled to an opinion. Still, I find it interesting how many people like to write.

Thanks for the advice. I said I didnt need any, but some is always appreciated. I need all the help I can get. Pretty soon I'll be putting a website up for the paper (not my own making--I cant program worth a damn). I probably wont give it out though, just because it would have my full name and pictures and so on.

For this issue, I did some good stuff. The issue was 9 pages in total, grahpics as well. All in Word--quite impressive. Someone talked about writing with confidence--I didnt have a huge amount. I wrote some pretty...deep...stuff (no joke) as an introduction, which could be sort of embarrasing since all my peers would be reading. Still, after some people looked over it and said it was great I put it in. Also I did a political piece on Nationalism and perception, and then a humour piece on sort of the same topic. As well I did all the graphics, page layout and editing. I was a busy boy. Then my friends put in some more stuff. This was the first issue, so it was mainly me and a friend writing it all, with a poem from another guy. It'll be more varied as time goes on.

In my spare time I write a bunch of stuff, mainly fantasy. Just as I want to. Same with poetry. I think thats a good way to go about things. As someone said--write for fun, not for publication. Just as you like to, when you feel like it, without obligation.

Ill post more later perhaps, if when I come on next time the topics active. Thanks.