( search forums )
OSX = Linux
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
BMF
January 30, 2004, 5:40 pm
I found out that both OSX and Linux are largely based on Unix. OSX and Linux is basically the same thing.

If Linux is 1337, does it mean that OSX is 1337?

And if OSX is 1337, then Mac is 1337??

Omg.. WHat the hell is going on

Tha Doggfather
January 30, 2004, 5:48 pm
mac is evul stay away from it. on the other hand, windows sucks too :/

palloco
January 30, 2004, 6:50 pm
quote:Originally posted by BMF
I found out that both OSX and Linux are largely based on Unix. OSX and Linux is basically the same thing.

That is the wrong point. There are lots of OS based on UNIX: Unix itself, Unixware, OS2, Linux, Xenix, Minix, MacOSX. They share the same base, which usually means they are stable and that can run same programs but the way they interact with the usuary and control some processes is completely different and programs added will provoke variation in the performance. For example Linux Mandrake 7.1 is quite unstable compared with Linux Suse 8.2, which is stable as rock. And those are the same OS: Linux.
Another example is DOS: Win9x/Me, MS/DOS and DrDOS are all DOS based systems, and you can see several different things between them.

Hitman
January 30, 2004, 7:31 pm
BMF, I always told you Mac was amazing, but noooo..

juice _ box
January 30, 2004, 11:24 pm
atleast the majority of the windows comunity doesn't hang out at starbucks trying to be an intellectual fruit cake sipping thier latte's while composing [:-censored]ty techno on I-books.

Dragon88
January 31, 2004, 1:50 am
Listen to Palloco, just because something is 'based' on something (WHICH BY THE WAY LINUX IS NOT BASED ON UNIX AT ALL), doesn't make them equal. Linux was made from scratch by Linus Torvalds, just because it uses the Unix filesystem and general security principles doesn't mean that they are anywhere near being the same.

BMF
January 31, 2004, 2:47 am
i am sure it was made from sctratch. It is almost identical to Unix, but thats a coincidence.

Dragon88
February 1, 2004, 12:05 am
They aren't even close to identical...
Linux = Open Source
Unix = Proprietary
Therefore:
Linux has developers proposing their own additions, which prevents Linux from ever becoming "almost identical" to unix.

NightCabbage
February 2, 2004, 6:30 am
palloco - "which usually means they are stable"

OMG U TAKE THAT BACK!!!! =D

Linux is a Unix clone written from scratch by Linus Torvalds with assistance from a loosely-knit team of hackers across the Net.

OSX on the otherhand IS based on unix, which still DOES NOT make it 1337!! lol