( search forums )
The Soldat Community Map Pack
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Roy
February 3, 2004, 6:15 am
Ok, shoot me now if this is already underway somewhere or is already being tried or is really old and lame or any of that stuff. Ok, shot me yet? Good, not let me continue.

I think everyone would agree that Soldat could really use more maps. Don't get me wrong - all of the originals are classic and I love to play on them. But doesn't it get kind of stale when you know every crevice of every map in the whole game? I'd like to bring some "new territory" into Soldat.

I know there has been at least one other big map pack before by someone, and there are probably dozens of small, unknown clan map packs and stuff. I also remember seeing something about an "Official Map Pack" but that seems old and dead now. Small map packs are good and all... But that's not what I'm aiming at here. What I want to accomplish is a quantity of very high quality maps to supplement everyone's current library. A map pack of such quality that it will rival, and blend in well, with the current maps around. A pack so excellent and mandatory that everyone will have it and be playing on it. A pack so great it will be featured on the main site and be a required download if you want to play on popular servers. And ideally, a map pack that would by default be included in the official Soldat download.

Here are my goals:

- Double the size of the standard map library. Right now there are 15 DM maps, 7 CTF maps, and a tiny 4 INF maps. The minimum size of the map pack I hope to pull together would include an additional 15 DM, 7 CTF, and 4 INF maps.
- Refined, polished, top-quality maps only. A minimum of polybugs in the maps. Good balance and variety. The maps must look and play well.
- Maps that generally blend in with the original standard maps' style. We're all familiary with the good old graphical style of Soldat and its maps... this must be continued. No crazy maps with giant mushrooms, videogame themes, or other conspicuous environments.
- If possible, this map pack should be distributed on such a scale that it would be included on 99% of all servers. Once a few of the really popular servers adopted it, it would quickly become a required download.

This could be one of the greatest things to hit Soldat if it were pulled off properly... Right now I'm just looking for general support and ideas. The Map Pack would be ruled by a panel of at least 3 people who would review submissions and make suggestions. So c'mon people... you KNOW you want this... and you KNOW it can be done. All it takes is a little organization.

Aquarius
February 3, 2004, 12:34 pm
Many have tried to do this, but noone has succeded.

kevith
February 3, 2004, 2:10 pm
But DNA might be the first...
http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=11338
If people would just make the decision to implement the maps in their servers, everybody would download them so they won't get bumped from the server for not having the map.

BManx2000
February 3, 2004, 2:42 pm
I think michal should just include more maps in the game itself. None of this remakes-of-the-old-maps crap, the good new ones people have made but never played online with. It's the only way to make sure everyone has all the same maps.

Tha Doggfather
February 3, 2004, 3:47 pm
yeah just add a sh|tload of good maps with the official game download (theyre only like what, 20 kb, and some scenery)

SDA
February 3, 2004, 5:05 pm
Yea! That would be nice, couse they are geting old, but still hella playable :D

SDA
February 3, 2004, 6:19 pm
Can i ask who deleted my post? [:(]

I hope he will make this hapen:D

IBT
February 3, 2004, 7:43 pm
quote:Originally posted by Roy
No crazy maps...conspicuous environments.

WHAT! no DM_stranded!?!?
i dont care what anyone says, as soon as i find a palm tree...

if anyone can do waypointing good, tell me, i got a few maps here.
when i tried, it wernt pretty, now scuse me while i get another lazer mouse...

Roy
February 3, 2004, 10:02 pm
Well, the maps wouldn't necessarily have to be new. A good combing of the New Maps forum could probably turn up a lot of great maps which could be used. It should be a simple matter to convince Michal to include the maps with the default Soldat download. I mean, he doesn't even have to do any work.

I alone don't really have the time to go through dozens of map and see if they're any good. That's why we need more people for this.

Aquarius
February 4, 2004, 12:01 am
> No crazy maps with giant mushrooms, videogame themes, or other conspicuous environments.

WHY? A mappack is an addition. I think maps in the mappack should be v. original, some of them even crazy (but playable).

Roy
February 4, 2004, 3:29 am
Well that's true... but often maps with wierd themes end up not being suited for serious play. Of course there are exceptions... I guess it all depends on the individual map.

Fangus Deef
February 4, 2004, 4:14 am
we do need more maps. the ones i think should be in are :
ctf_Showdown
ctf_Coldmorning
ctf_Haze
and perhaps ctf_Voland2
they be some uber 1338 maps, which is prolly why they are in the DNAG.

LiL_FuKa
February 5, 2004, 8:02 pm
1338? lol

kevith
February 5, 2004, 8:33 pm
I saw this mentioned somewhere, but why doesn't Michal just include the map pack that DNA is using in the next patch? That way everybody will have them. If you don't like the map, you don't have to play it.

Sekushi
February 6, 2004, 1:34 am
I remember EI talking about this, but an auto-download for custom maps would solve this. But of course, someone would abuse this privelage and make like red in a hole and blue able to shoot down at them, or something.

Holden
February 27, 2004, 3:32 pm
Well, I make maps, and I would be happy to contribute and let them be judged. A longshot I guess, but it would be fun if one made it. =).

But, the real question, are we adding scenery? Or are we just using the old scenery that comes with the Map Maker?

It seems like a cool idea, if it gets pulled off.

Mcrakin9
March 5, 2004, 1:42 am
If this happended it would be the best thing tohit soldat seince i started playing it
two i have been waiting for somthing like this forever but patchs make me nervous
i downloaded one for ESF and i could no longer play it so i hope it does not happen
here

Spooky
March 6, 2004, 1:19 am
there was a guy who was a mad awesome bot pather.

i forget his name. but he got good at it beause he was on sattelite internet and couldn't play online (2500 ping anyone?) so he helped me path some of my dorky maps.

dark something? or fox in the name? i dunno. he was a nice guy.

but yeah, soldat could use more maps. bot pathed maps. those dna ones are a great start, but yeah, more the merrier, eh? and we need to retire some *cough*ctfrun*cough*

Shade
March 6, 2004, 2:16 am
Want maps? I really don't remember the page, I'll try ti look for it later, but this guy had in his site a map pack with a selection of the 92 best maps submitted to him. Either we all look for it, or we make something like that, that is, making maps and submitting them, and then select the best (or the less crappy) alltogheter.

TheArc
March 7, 2004, 3:22 am
I have some ideas, but am quite mapmaker-inept, I'll scan some drawings maybe

Icarius
March 7, 2004, 3:42 am
I'm coming out of my cave to make a map, and this time, i'll add shading!!!! OMG IM CRAZY MAN ME.

Niff
March 7, 2004, 6:40 am
Cel shading > All

But anyways, I like the Mario map someone made.. it just isn't waypointed >_<