( search forums )
CTF: Facing Skulls {Updated! FS2.3}
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Roy
February 3, 2004, 1:40 pm
Well, I was tossing around some ideas for a map and/or map theme, and of course skulls are always pretty neat... so I decided to use a skull somehow.

On my first try, the skull came out pretty great, but I put very little effort into the rest of the map. So, I set to making a better quality map, and this is the end result (Facing Skulls 2.0). Again, I haven't had a lot of opportunity to playtest this, but it's definitely better than the 1.0 version. So, without further delay, I give you: Facing Skulls 2.0.

[IMAGE]
The overview. The red base is on the right, blue is on the left. The map is not entirely symmetrical.

[IMAGE]
The left skull, woot. His facial features are great for sitting and proning on. Bulletproof vests also spawn inside his mouth (which can be a tight fit, but is doable.)

[IMAGE]
This is the top path.

[IMAGE]
Part of the blue base, lalala.

The map is somewhat similar to ctf_Kampf, for various reasons... one of them being I looked at Kampf a lot for ideas on how to do the colors and polygons. I will probably polish this map up a little bit more at some point, and maybe add some more scenery, but I'm not sure. I'd like some more feedback on this; any and all opinions/suggestions are appreciated.

http://myweb.cableone.net/bookbasket/ctf_facingskulls.pms

Thanks.

Hercule Poirot
February 3, 2004, 2:36 pm
YAY holy [:-censored]!

well i don't like map too spikey so i only like those skulls :P sweeeeeet

Tha Doggfather
February 3, 2004, 3:40 pm
those skulls look really good

_z1g
February 3, 2004, 3:50 pm
nice map
how ctf_dragons
GJ /\/\an

SDA
February 3, 2004, 4:31 pm
OMFG! Nice skulls :|

Fix the rest of the map thou... doesnt look nice, but the skulls are AMAZING

Fangus Deef
February 3, 2004, 11:03 pm
map, crap. skull, tha shi7

Cookie.
February 4, 2004, 2:42 am
its been summed up pretty good so far the skulls are the best part :P but the rest of the map not so great the gameplay dosn't look like it would be too good but the skulls are amazing :P

Roy
February 4, 2004, 8:34 am
Yeah, as I said, I didn't really put a lot of thought or effort into the rest of the map... I'll probably reuse the skulls somehow in a superior map. Hmm...

Thanks for the replies.

Anti-Commie
February 4, 2004, 5:06 pm
Maybe in the future you could use the skulls in a sort of jungle temple map with the flags in the mouths of the skulls...

Roy
February 5, 2004, 6:36 am
I went back and reworked the entire map (except for the skulls, of course ;P) So please take a second look for those of you who saw the earlier version. And as always, more critique from everyone else is also appreciated.

N1nj@
February 5, 2004, 9:06 pm
It would be nice to give the viewers comparsion to the old version so they can see the big differences.

Roy
February 5, 2004, 10:46 pm
The maps are completely different from eachother... but if anyone really wants to see:

FS1.0
[IMAGE]

FS2.0
[IMAGE]

GluLm
February 6, 2004, 1:27 am
Great!
The first version was really bad, but this one is way better! Good job.
There are still some things to add though:
the bot waypoints (it shouldn't be too hard to do), a smoother blue color on the left part (like the red one), more sceneries (especially on the bottom level and near the skulls) for instance add more grass and tree, maybe some crates barrels or sandbags and lianas (the two big blocks floating in the air do need that, link them to the ground too). And you should try to make both parts look exactly the same (at last the bottom part).
Still good job as for the skulls! ;)

Roy
February 11, 2004, 2:43 pm
Alright, I updated the map again. It is now Facing Skulls 2.3. I added some scenery, tried to fix up some polygons, and most importantly, added bot waypointing. It's not the best waypointing ever, but it suffices. The blue bots won't even try to get up on the top platform (they started doing strange things when I tried) but the red bots will, and both sides will score just fine and rarely get stalled.

[IMAGE]

http://myweb.cableone.net/bookbasket/ctf_facingskulls.pms

I recommend no more than 4vs4, probably 6vs6 at an absolute maximum or else things are crowded and it becomes very hard to score.

Enjoy!

Inquisitor
February 11, 2004, 2:57 pm
somehow it's [:-censored]ed up. i cannot edit it with the mapmaker and the scenery is srewed. fix?

Roy
February 11, 2004, 3:02 pm
Huh? I don't know why it would do that... it's fine for me. I re-uploaded it anyways. Download it again and hopefully it will work.

Inquisitor
February 11, 2004, 5:07 pm
dunno whats wrong. still oesnt work. might be occureds by my map maker. mybe it's a bit stupid.

Roy
February 11, 2004, 11:30 pm
Ah, I found the problem. Apparently there are two pieces of scenery which I unwittingly used, but which weren't part of the original scenery package.

Here's a zip, with the map and scenery. Just unzip directly into the Soldat directory.

http://myweb.cableone.net/bookbasket/ctf_facingskulls.zip

:D

Baibai
February 12, 2004, 3:27 pm
I Like 2.0 better... Don't ask why tho... [:)]

GluLm
February 12, 2004, 3:47 pm
The latest version is really good now, but there are some scenery-gfx bugs...
You should provide them as well.
Too bad for the bots, but I still lack a bit of scenery-gfx like trees, bush or barrels on the brown ground (in my opinion!).
Good job anyway.

Roy
February 13, 2004, 2:21 am
Hmm, I don't understand the scenery glitches... I'll have to look into it :|

goose
February 20, 2004, 3:14 am
Your map owns my genitalia.

FiveIron
February 20, 2004, 6:41 pm
Those skulls are sweet. How many polygons?!

February 20, 2004, 9:46 pm
Looks really, really good. Really.
But I think it could do with a different texture...

Evolution
February 22, 2004, 4:45 am
me god, the skulls pwnZorZ!!!! nice man, make more maps!

ryan
March 14, 2004, 4:40 pm
this is the best map i ever seen[;)]