( search forums )
Pentium or Athlon?
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
M
February 4, 2004, 3:45 pm
This week or the next week i am going to buy a new computer with maximum performances.But i am not sure what to take. Do you think i should get a Pentium 4 or Athlon 2600+ or something like that?

palloco
February 4, 2004, 5:14 pm
Athlon is always better. Just look benchmarks if you dont believe me

kevith
February 4, 2004, 5:24 pm
I have a P4 2.6 HT... very nice... people always argue about which is better, but does it really matter? They're both fast.

qtR`
February 4, 2004, 5:59 pm
quote:Originally posted by palloco
Athlon is always better. Just look benchmarks if you dont believe me

Where can I find some benchmarks then?

ThaD
February 4, 2004, 7:10 pm
Barton with some nice cooling.

sativa
February 4, 2004, 7:26 pm
amd athlon is the best, you can put more into that pc P IV is crap

Shadowsx2eso
February 5, 2004, 1:30 am
i have dual 2600+ athlons.... WAYYYYYYYYYYY better than pentium...... Athlon ownz all. get athlon or burn in hell ^^

Spitzfiya
February 5, 2004, 6:17 am
I have a Athlon 2500+ Barton < All you will ever need. best Price/Preformance ratio of any CPU.

societies_punishment
February 5, 2004, 6:38 am
it all depends there is mush rumor and speculation about the 2 but from what i hear (this may be bias)

the pentium runs hotter then the AMD. AMD chips are made with higher quality. the pentium is an all around chip opposed to AMD being better at a work environment

really i have had both and notice no differance if these tests are truw they are over exagurated and in the end mean nothing i personally perfer AMD why because they are a bit cheaper then PEN and i have had the best luck with their 300mhz k6-2 chip which i successfully overclocked to 550mhz it ran like a dream too. now i own a AMD duron 1100 mhz its got kick but i wanna get like a over kill duel 3 gig or something why not i have the money

basically go with whatever but i hear (again may be bias) some ships that both companies realeased are not that good

so go do some searching online on some offical sites remeber some people may not know what the hell they are talking about more importantly go to intels and AMDs sites and check out what the ships specs are

Spitzfiya
February 5, 2004, 6:43 am
Duron - Watered Down Athlon (Like A Celeron)
Dual Setups are generally just a waste of money because few programs fully support dual proc setups.

NightCabbage
February 12, 2004, 12:53 pm
AMD, AMD, AMD!!

Intel is RUBBISH =D

lol

Imma computer technician, I've tried them all :)

Best value for money CPUs:
fast - Athlon64 3000+
high end / medium - Athlon XP 2800+
medium (still bloody fast) - Athlon XP 2600+ (or 2500+, practically the same :P)
low end - Athlon XP 2000+ (over the hill, but cheap)

I have an Athlon XP 2800+, runs great.