( search forums )
1.2 an upgrade? - my opinion
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Hanks
February 7, 2004, 1:12 pm
Hi all

I'm sorry to write such a negative post. so first of all a big thx to michal and your great work on soldat, even if i'm unhappy with it at the moment, i love ur game. as i'm a big fan of soldat and i'm lookin forward to play this game in future too i just wanna give my opinion about 1.2 and i'm intressted in what others think about.

I started play soldat with v 1.1.4. In my opinion it was the only Soldat Version that was really bug-free and well balanced. Only chainsaw spawnkillin has got this version bad. With 1.1.5 weirdness started. Suddenly we had WMV (wrong map version) bugs, so that is wasn't anymore possible to play a usual deathmatch. one could be shure one has got kicked once per 30 kills. already this upgrade i found, sry, STUPID. All i wanted was gettin' rid of this stupid chainsaw spawnkillers, but instead u changed the whole engine, so that we've got this WMV all over.

I could understand this if it was necessary to develop the linux version of soldat, alright. But when 1.2 came out, i was really "shoked" as the upgrade in my eyes was a downgrade. Me, i wished a version like 1.1.5, just more stable... i agree with there is a sense in the fixes 1.2 brought. but the new features above are so what of useless... i think, it really is no sense in create smooth polygon edges just because they r pretty.
First of all and most important to me it seems to have a stable and well balanced game. 1.2 is neither stable nor well balanced. there are so many new bugs that appeared because of this new features (bad packages, stuck on "smooth" polygons, gettin' kicked for cheat when one doesn't cheat, gettin' flood kicked when one doesn't flood and so on) i can imagine it will last another year until there will be a bugfree version of 1.2... probably some weeks before next upgrades makes soldat buggy again. again: all i wanted was a version like 1.1.4 just without chainsawspawnkillin and i would be happy.

PLEASE wait with car upgrades etc. until the essentials of the games r perfect: stable clients, stable servers, bug-free gameplay, well balanced guns... I think most players think like this too?

Last but not least the gun balance in 1.2: isn't it weird that one gets killed faster with any machinegun, than one can reload a barret or shootin 3 times with ruger... any experienced player thinks diffrent here? any clan thinks different here?

Soldat is a very good game, i was expectin it to get better, but 1.2 made it much worse, because of to much new features means to much new bugs, because it's unbalanced as never before... you can call 1.2 an upgrade, i call it a downgrade. i really was thinkin' about registerin' when i was waitin for 1.2. Now when it's out, i don't even play half as often as i played 1.1.5...

Greets Hanks

- Added demo recording (F8 key) -> most improtant???

- Added new gameplay intro -> omg, what for???

- Added smooth polygon edges -> made it little nicer, and u can stuck now everywhere

- Added spectator mode -> to make a ctf-server unbalanced for hours? aka welcome idlers, now u can do ur homework and watch soldat at once...

- Added player jet flames color can be changed for registered players
-> big big omg, things the world doesn't need

- Added registered players will have a star next to their name on the players list -> same as above

- Added smoke after explosion -> i want a good game, not good graphics
(yes i could play mmorpgs too...)

- Added new explosion effects -> raaaah, same as above

- Added small effect on flag capture -> even more raaaah same as above

- Added new secret animation -> ffs, i want a stable game

- Added sound when time appears in console -> i have sound switched off as in my ears its disgusting

- Added stationary gun use sound -> please remove stationary guns!

- Added every weapon has different bullet and shell graphics -> omg...

- Added total game texts localisation, localised files placed in Soldat\Txt\Languages -> who will ever us it (anybody don't understands
the words "killed by"???)

- Added in-game statistics in Logs\GameStat.txt (updated every 30 seconds) -> what for statistics as long as it bugs???

- Added custom profile taunts saved in Soldat\Profiles -> very usefull...

- Added players number display in non-team games in players list

- Added network compression (if causes lag on slower machines can be disabled in Soldat.ini) -> 1.1.4 was the only stable, bugfree network engine...

- Added network code optimisation (less server bandwidth)
-> 1.1.4 was the only stable, bugfree network engine...

- Added more anti-cheat solutions -> yes, i have been cheat-kicked too though i never cheated since i play soldat

- Added remote admins can always join server even if full -> i want a stable game....

- Added spectator can switch to the previous player with jets button (default: right mouse click) -> still spectators make teams unbalanced

- Added game can be joined from parameter with password ex. Soldat.exe 127.0.0.1 23073 password -> what does this mean? does it get more stable?

- Added server joining through URL address ex. type in browser soldat://127.0.0.1:23073/ -> omg, we have ase, the lobby, but now u can even join via the browser... what foooor????

- Added protection against invalid characters in name (only keyboard chars allowed) -> wow, a usefull, this was bad in 1.1.4 & 1.1.5

- Added names cannot be empty or have spaces in the end -> as above

- Added two players can't have the same name (player name changes by server) -> i'd rather have a stable game

- Added double pressing the command key '/' enters the last typed command -> cosmetics, i'd rather have a stable game

- Added pressing the command key '/' displays corresponding player numbers in players menu (F1) -> we want stable soldat...

- Added /Kick and /Ban commands can work with player numbers or names now ex. /Kick 2 or /Kick Loser -> and if it doesn't work, bugs will kick u...

- Added new server commands:
/addbot1 [name], /addbot2, /addbot3, /addbot4 - for adding team bots
/setteam1 [number], setteam2, setteam3, setteam4 - forces the player to join team -> super useless

/kicklast - kicks the player that last joined the server -> yes, kick 'em all, as fast as u can...

/respawntime [seconds] - changes the respawn time -> and makes the server sooooo much more stable....

/maxrespawntime [seconds] - changes the maximum respawn time in team games -> i'm sick of writing how useless this is

/limit [number] - changes the current game limit (kills/points/captures) -> ...

/timelimit [minutes] - changes the current time limit ->...

if there already is a thread for this issue, sry, i din't found it.

palloco
February 7, 2004, 1:28 pm
- Added smooth polygon edges -> made it little nicer, and u can stuck now everywhere
- Added spectator mode -> to make a ctf-server unbalanced for hours? aka welcome idlers, now u can do ur homework and watch soldat at once...

Agreed

(yes i could play mmorpgs too...)

I did not noticed em as I have turned off all effects

- Added /Kick and /Ban commands can work with player numbers or names now ex. /Kick 2 or /Kick Loser -> and if it doesn't work, bugs will kick u...
/kicklast - kicks the player that last joined the server -> yes, kick 'em all, as fast as u can...
ROFL, that is right

I also prefer 1.1.4(I think it was just perfect but still it was the version that stayed out for less time, why? Becasue before campers whined about chainsaw and know they whined barret was too weak). I do not think commands had make anything wrong in the game but the new cheat and antilag system is crteating a lot of bugs

b00stA
February 7, 2004, 2:04 pm
there are so many new bugs that appeared because of this new features (bad packages,
-- it's a debug message. The next version will not SHOW them but you will RECEIVE them.
stuck on "smooth" polygons,
-- Doesn't happen to me.
gettin' kicked for cheat when one doesn't cheat, gettin' flood kicked when one doesn't flood and so on)
-- yepp, those are bugs and need to be fixed, but your unnecessarily long post doesn't help at all.
Of course Michal has to fix them and I'm sure he knows about them, thanks to endless posts about the same subject.

- Added demo recording (F8 key) -> most improtant???
-- what's your problem?

- Added new gameplay intro -> omg, what for???
-- because we now have the demo recording function.. and modders have something more to mod. blah.

-- Do you mean you get stuck in the polygons? You should play some betas or older versions.

-- You can simply disable it, it's up to the server to change it.

- Added player jet flames color can be changed for registered players
-> big big omg, things the world doesn't need
-- are you registered?

- Added registered players will have a star next to their name on the players list -> same as above
-- ^ are you registered? what's your problem? it prolly was easy to implement and imho it's a nice feature and one more reason to register.

-- ffs

-- FFS

-- BBQ! OMG!

- Added sound when time appears in console -> i have sound switched off as in my ears its disgusting
-- wtf? what's so disgusting about a < 1 second sound that helps you?

- Added stationary gun use sound -> please remove stationary guns!
-- they overheat and you already can remove them via the in-game menu.

- Added every weapon has different bullet and shell graphics -> omg...
-- good argument. really.

- Added total game texts localisation, localised files placed in Soldat\Txt\Languages -> who will ever us it (anybody don't understands
the words "killed by"???)
-- I don't need it either, but what's YOUR PROBLEM?

- Added in-game statistics in Logs\GameStat.txt (updated every 30 seconds) -> what for statistics as long as it bugs???
-- you really are the master of reasoned arguments.

- Added custom profile taunts saved in Soldat\Profiles -> very usefull...
-- Yes, yes it is. Indeed.

- Added network compression (if causes lag on slower machines can be disabled in Soldat.ini) -> 1.1.4 was the only stable, bugfree network engine...
-- lmao.

- Added network code optimisation (less server bandwidth)
-> 1.1.4 was the only stable, bugfree network engine...
-- roflmaopoe.

- Added more anti-cheat solutions -> yes, i have been cheat-kicked too though i never cheated since i play soldat
-- has to be fixed, you finally got a point.

- Added remote admins can always join server even if full -> i want a stable game....
-- HELLO ARGUMENT, where are you?

- Added spectator can switch to the previous player with jets button (default: right mouse click) -> still spectators make teams unbalanced
-- ^ you can disable them.

- Added game can be joined from parameter with password ex. Soldat.exe 127.0.0.1 23073 password -> what does this mean? does it get more stable?
-- this is getting boring.

- Added server joining through URL address ex. type in browser soldat://127.0.0.1:23073/ -> omg, we have ase, the lobby, but now u can even join via the browser... what foooor????
-- I helped Michal to implement this. It was quite easy to do.

- Added protection against invalid characters in name (only keyboard chars allowed) -> wow, a usefull, this was bad in 1.1.4 & 1.1.5

- Added names cannot be empty or have spaces in the end -> as above

- Added two players can't have the same name (player name changes by server) -> i'd rather have a stable game
-- *yawn*

- Added double pressing the command key '/' enters the last typed command -> cosmetics, i'd rather have a stable game
-- oic, cosmetics in the command line.

- Added pressing the command key '/' displays corresponding player numbers in players menu (F1) -> we want stable soldat...
-- we want to kick guys easily.

-- *yawn*

- Added new server commands:
/addbot1 [name], /addbot2, /addbot3, /addbot4 - for adding team bots
/setteam1 [number], setteam2, setteam3, setteam4 - forces the player to join team -> super useless
-- "big thx to michal and your great work on soldat" yeah

-- was that an argument? wait..

/respawntime [seconds] - changes the respawn time -> and makes the server sooooo much more stable....
-- toothpick (hi ?)

/maxrespawntime [seconds] - changes the maximum respawn time in team games -> i'm sick of writing how useless this is
-- I'm sick of you.

if there already is a thread for this issue, sry, i din't found it.
-- No, we didn't have enough bitching about 1.2, thank you.

Hanks
February 7, 2004, 2:37 pm
sry, but u've got me wrong...

i don't wanna say that all this improvements are bad. i even would like all of them. but i think they are not that important. i think there could be thousands of new features but soldat is just fun if the basics r perfect... 1.1.4 this was the case now it isn't. i rather would like soldat 1.1.4 with spawnkill chainsawing instead of 1.2 with bugs, unbalanced weapons, angry clans...

i think it would have been much more clever to come up with an 1.2 with fewer new features, but therefore majorly stable, tweaked out perfectly. I think that would have been the version every soldat-expirienced player is waiting for... I wrote comments into the new features list to show how few were really important to me. of corse all of them r nice but i don't wanna pay for new features with new bugs...

it's my suggestions to further upgrades, less is sometimes more

greets again

Alamo
February 7, 2004, 3:18 pm
I guess Michal added all this eye-candy and stuff for fun... Would you like to write a game that is 100% functional? No additional effects and stuff? If I'd write a game I'd pack it with stuff like /mercy, /takeoff, /smoke and /tabac. It just gives a little fun to you writing it.
Try to understand Michal. If you write a game you want to see improvements too I guess and you can do that by adding some eye-candy and stuff.
And those options for regs are cool (yeah, I'm a reg).

kevith
February 7, 2004, 3:23 pm
I think all of the new features are worth the bugs for now. There are always bugs and there will always be bugs, so we just kind of work through them with Michal. There were bugs in 1.1.4 too, you probably just didn't realize it because you were so new to the game. I actually think that working through the bugs and helping solve them is part of what makes the game so much fun. What other game do you have so much ability to suggest changes that may be implememneted and have such direct contact with the creator/developer? It's almost like we're our own community evolving our own game...

Oh, and you're just jealous of my fuschia-colored jets and big star next to my name.... [;)]

Alamo
February 7, 2004, 3:25 pm
quote:
Oh, and you're just jealous of my fuschia-colored jets and big star next to my name.... [;)]

Yay, exactly! [:D]

b00stA
February 7, 2004, 3:50 pm
quote:Originally posted by Hanks
sry, but u've got me wrong...
seems like it ;)
quote:Originally posted by Hanks
i don't wanna say that all this improvements are bad. i even would like all of them. but i think they are not that important. i think there could be thousands of new features but soldat is just fun if the basics r perfect...
The WMV bug in the linux ded. server has been fixed, I don't lose my weapon etc.
the lag thing is something else.. back in 1.0.5b there was no anti-lag. You had to predict where your enemy was, depending on your ping etc.
but the current anti-lag is a bit flawed too. You can't completely rely on it, sometimes you hit although you didn't hit on your screen and sometimes you don't although you blasted him with your M79.
The cheat kick? It's because UDP doesn't guarantee that packets arrive, so it happens that you get kicked for cheating because some packets are missing / corrupt.

Well.. Michal knows what he has to do right now. Let's just hope he concentrates on FIXING first.

Hanks
February 7, 2004, 3:52 pm
hmz, if i would have registerd aka paied for the game i would be really angry with bugs. ok, i din't so i shouldn't talk bad about the game and be happy that there is soldats. But in the name of every registerd user who gave michal his good money: this 1.2 is really an overloaded package. i understand it is fun for michal to enhance his game with new features an all, but to change

1. networkengine
2. grafics
3. gameplay physics
4. gun balance
5. new lobby server
6. probably even more

just too much at once. i'm more a user-type of guy, so if i would pay for this game i would expect to not have to help bugin it out. it's just kind of an advice. if u wanna do a game half professional aka gettin money for programmin it you just can't come up with upgrades like 1.2. (yes, even if it's non-profit, as 10$ = 10$)
i don't complain and again, michal ur game is great, big thanks that u r working for lettin us have some fun. but PLEEEAASE don't do any overloaded upgrades anymore. Please give good players (aka clans) the chance to give there advice to find a most perfect gun balance, as they are the ones that will register and they are shurely the most expirienced players. that's when i will register too...

one more time greets

Hanks
February 7, 2004, 3:55 pm
and then i will have colored jets too

[:P]

kevith
February 7, 2004, 4:23 pm
I paid $9 for the game and i'm fine with it... I mean come on it's only 9 bucks! And you don't have to pay for upgrades. I like 1.2 for the most part.

And just bc you're in a clan, doesn't mean you're good. Vice versa, not being in a clan doesn't mean you're not good.

cup_of_squirrels
February 7, 2004, 4:26 pm
Oh man, more moaning X( why does everyone hate 1.2?!

CidicT
February 8, 2004, 3:51 am
i fukin agree with that "cup of squirrels"