( search forums )
Duel sided Polygons
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Leo Da Lunerfox
February 7, 2004, 8:47 pm
Ok, heres a new idea:

Sometimes I would like to make stairs or something in the map. But it doesn't work because i wouldn't be able to pass it.

So if Duel sided Polygons are used, things would be much better.

Explaination:

Lets say I am in front of the stairs, If i want to go though it, I just keep going, and the poly would let me pass. But if i want to climb the stairs, I push a button, and that same poly would be a hard poly, and let me climb the stairs.

So, here is how it works:

you put your normal map on the first layer, and your stairs and stuff on the second layer. When you are on the first layer, the polys on the second are Transparent, and player/bullet can pass though. When the "Second layer" Button is pushed, the first layer becomes transparent, and the player/bullets can pass though.

Any more ideas to add to? Plz don't flame cuz I can't find this idea anywhere

Cookie.
February 8, 2004, 1:40 am
i dont think it would be a good idea but maybe im just crazy :) and it confuses me still :P so when 1 person pushes the button they can go behind the first layer and still shoot out and through but player 2 is still on the first layer and cant shoot in or through and player 1 could just shoot out at him? see im crazy

Liber_Lupus
February 8, 2004, 9:38 am
ok...i think i get it, see...we have stairs here, long stairs, beatiful stairs, and if i dont want to walk up the (long, beatiful) stairs then i want to go trough it but i cant now, so yeah it would be a nice idea.

sauron_the_deceiver
February 8, 2004, 6:55 pm
Why use stairs when you have jetboots...=/

Anyway, if the different polys would change the solidity for purposes of bullets, does that mean you could stand behind a polygon, shoot through it, and when you received enemy fire, you could press a button and be shielded?

Leo Da Lunerfox
February 8, 2004, 11:19 pm
Lets say that Player A is on layer 1, and Player B is on layer 2

- If Player A is shooting at player B, then the bullets would hit.
- If Player B is shooting at Player A, then the bullets would hit.

But lets say that Player A is in front of some polys which are on layer 2

- If Player A is switches to Layer 2, then the bullets would not hit.
- If Player A does not switch, then the bullets will hit.

So, it basically means this:

Layer 1 can shoot though things on layer 2, but not shoot though things on layer 1.
Layer 2 can shoot though things on layer 1, but not shoot though things on layer 2.

So, tactically, you use the side your enemy is on to hide, and use the other side to shoot.

Maybe make a specific "Zone" where theres 2 layers. I ono, any ideas?

sauron_the_deceiver
February 9, 2004, 6:25 pm
This seems awfully complicated, and how would you know which layer a player was on? And what if the game sent data to the server and it got lost, so the player was on a different layer, but the bullets went through anyway? And what about lag issues?

No, I don't think this would work.

Sekushi
February 9, 2004, 10:04 pm
Why do we even need stairs? We have god damn jets.

Leo Da Lunerfox
February 10, 2004, 12:17 am
I want this because i make ultra realistic urban maps, with very very very little jets.

This would not be all that compilated, since you could easily tell if the bullets would go though and hit the person.