( search forums )
On barret & knives
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Jamesbarrock
February 8, 2004, 9:06 pm
In reality the barret is a .50 caliber rifle, for those of you who dont know what that means it is 1/2 inch if youve ever seen someone get shot with a .50 rifle then the barret is not underpowered. o.o

I think It would be nifty if when you picked knives you would have like 5 knives, that way you wouldnt have t o pick up knives again and again..

SuperKill
February 8, 2004, 9:24 pm
nah.. maybe 2 or 3 knifes, and make you unable to pick them up again.
5 instant kill throws in a row is .. wacked

Aquarius
February 8, 2004, 9:27 pm
> In reality the barret is a .50 caliber rifle, for those of you who dont know
> what that means it is 1/2 inch if youve ever seen someone get shot with a .50
> rifle then the barret is not underpowered. o.o

In reality the Barret is a 13 kg scoped rifle. I doubt it would be possible to run and shoot successfully with Barret at the same time.

I don't think weapons in Soldat should be VERY REALISTIC. Weapons in Soldat should be BALANCED.

Jamesbarrock
February 8, 2004, 9:41 pm
I agree, I was simply stating that because people say it is freakishly overpowered, if they want balanced weapons, use a springfield 1903, m1 garand, m24, or any other 7mm or 5mm sniper rifles, not 15mm sniper rifles :P

Weed
February 8, 2004, 9:57 pm
the thing is, who can use a sniper rifle as an assault gun?
and if u did, because of the weight, and also coz it aint built to run-shoot action, ur shots wouldnt be accurate at all.
soldat's sniper rifle, its not a sniping rifle, its a 1 shot kill assault rifle, not realistic at all.
i think the game should make the physics change when u move around with barret, making it so that u feel it like if u were carring a 13kg rifle, instead of a 9mm.

Icarius
February 8, 2004, 10:08 pm
IN REALITY THE BARRET IS STILL [:-censored]ING LAME AND CAN SHOOT THROUGH THINGS.... LIKE TANKS.

MisterX
February 8, 2004, 10:11 pm
lol icarius.

@Jamesbarrock: 1. This isn't reality, this is a damn game.
2. With 5 knives the knife would be too good for a secondary. Watch good knifers, they don't have a problem with just having 1 knife.

that fuking sniper
February 8, 2004, 10:11 pm
The people who say it is overpowered only mean that this is their opinion. The people who are actually bothered by it DO use balanced weapons and avoid using the barret itself.

What they are bothered by is other players using it, they dont use it at all, and you didnt make much sense by saying that people who think its overpowered shouldnt use it...Thats already a fact, and doesnt solve their problem.

The barret right now is both a sniper rifle and a rail gun. The sniper rifle has a scope which gives it a huge advantage in a 2D game, while a rail gun is superior to other weapons for simply being a rail gun - it shoots a straight, instant shot that kills a person in 1 hit. Why do you think other games (such as Quake 3 or UT2003) dont allow rail guns into normal matches and made them their own game styles (namely instagib match and railmatch)?

Icarius
February 8, 2004, 10:14 pm
BEST [:-censored]ING ARGUEMENT EVER

Thanks TFS, you've just raised my cheeks a bit, now move your ass to the #2wai.soldat chan for a hug.

cat92
February 8, 2004, 10:27 pm
Please, enough caps.

Icarius
February 9, 2004, 12:29 am
Please, enough barrets.

Roy
February 9, 2004, 1:21 am
quote:Originally posted by SuperKill
nah.. maybe 2 or 3 knifes, and make you unable to pick them up again.
5 instant kill throws in a row is .. wacked

No, it's awesome. It's what makes the knife beautiful to use. It's not like that happens all the time you know... trying to pick up your knife again and again in the midst of battle can be tough. I think the knife is a perfectly balanced secondary.

Changing the knife in ANY WAY would only ruin it unfairly.

I say... increase the Barret's loading time just a tad, and make it more like it was in 1.1.5, and I'd be happy again.

kevith
February 9, 2004, 1:48 am
TFS... you're a friggin' genius man. That was one of the most well made arguments/comments I have ever seen on the forums... 100% agree!

Jamesbarrock
February 9, 2004, 2:40 am
If people like it so much then they should stop bitching in the games then -.-

that fuking sniper
February 9, 2004, 5:33 am
No, you still dont get it... Some people use it because they dont want to admit its overpowered. Some admit it is but just have fun using it (like me). Some dont like it at all, think its overpowered, dont use it themselves, and hate people who do.

Now if you dont want to break that wall of ignorance over your mind and see that the community is pretty devided in that matter and that you cant solve the problem by saying people should/shouldnt use it, dont argue at all.

I personally like the the rail gun aspect of the barret, and always have. You *can* actually have a rail gun in Soldat, but not with that many bullets per magazine and a relatively short reload time between bullets. Its too good.

Josh1l6
February 9, 2004, 7:17 am
hmmm...how about you can choose how many knives you start with like with grenades?

another idea...if you pick up a fallen enemy's knife it adds to the amount you have. of course it doesn't count if you pick it up with your face.

Captain RibMan
February 9, 2004, 7:22 am
realistic mode = realism
non realistic mode = no realism so its not supposed o be realistic when its off anyways

Aquarius
February 9, 2004, 8:17 am
It is not "non realistic mode" it is a standard mode.

Icarius
February 9, 2004, 12:48 pm
No, its non realistic mode....

villekallio
February 9, 2004, 12:57 pm
I sometimes use barret but just for fun.

Icarius
February 9, 2004, 1:35 pm
You know, I'm really [:-censored]ing sick of seeing threads actually falling into nothing. I think it's high time we made a Barret thread to end them all.

bLaStEr
February 9, 2004, 2:18 pm
I think some of these threads really fall into hopeless pit.

My opinions:

Barret-it's fine as it is except slight reduce to the accuracy would make it better.
Knife-DON'T TOUCH A WEAPON THATS ALREADY PERFECT!!!!!!!

MisterX
February 9, 2004, 2:31 pm
quote:by that fuking sniper:
The barret right now is both a sniper rifle and a rail gun. The sniper rifle has a scope which gives it a huge advantage in a 2D game, while a rail gun is superior to other weapons for simply being a rail gun - it shoots a straight, instant shot that kills a person in 1 hit. Why do you think other games (such as Quake 3 or UT2003) dont allow rail guns into normal matches and made them their own game styles (namely instagib match and railmatch)?
nice argument (the railgun thing). didn't really think of this aspect before. would you send this please to michael? that's a good argument, and maybe he understands it, and makes something like an instagib mode..
I myself hate the barret, it's just unbalanced and unfair. I don't hate all the barreters because of that, but I hate what many barreters think like. They don't realize that the barret is overpowered, and just say that all the ladders are lead by barreters, because just real "pro gamers" know that barret is that good, and how to use it correctly..

Aquarius
February 9, 2004, 2:46 pm
Barret is not instagib weapon like railgun. The Barret's bullet moves very fast, but it is not INSTANT. And if you have a vest you are able to survive one shot from Barret... sometimes.

Hova
February 9, 2004, 5:15 pm
If the vest isn't enabled Aquarius, knowing that is useless ;)

Denacke
February 9, 2004, 6:55 pm
Knife is fine as it is right now imo, Just take some practice with it(I think it's even pretty strong o_O one hit dead if you aim right :P). The only problem i'm having right now with it are more bug related:
1) 50% of your hits aren't registrated (just seems to happen more with knives than with other weapons)
2) Sometimes my switch seems to bug, i press the switch button but it just switches from primary to primary weap again.

Sekushi
February 9, 2004, 10:00 pm
Leave the God damn knife as is. It's the [:-censored]child of weapons, and is perfect in every way.

that fuking sniper
February 10, 2004, 12:35 am
quote:Originally posted by MisterX
quote:by that fuking sniper:
nice argument (the railgun thing). didn't really think of this aspect before. would you send this please to michael? that's a good argument, and maybe he understands it, and makes something like an instagib mode..
I myself hate the barret, it's just unbalanced and unfair. I don't hate all the barreters because of that, but I hate what many barreters think like. They don't realize that the barret is overpowered, and just say that all the ladders are lead by barreters, because just real "pro gamers" know that barret is that good, and how to use it correctly..

Thats not nearly the best arguement, if you want to read a real one go to the old "delete/remove the barret" topic by EvilLaugh. The reason I'm saying this is that this matter was already discussed thoroughly about, yet people either want to ignore it or just never care to listen. That thread should have been the "barret thread to end them all", but people continually posted on and on about it, much like the Suggestions forum...Nobody uses search :P

To Aquarius: The bullet moves so fast as it is its considered a rail gun, what chance do you have to dodge a bullet that is aimed at you from a screen's distance? None, you absolutely cant fly away from it, unless it was aimed to hit you at the very endge and you happened to move away, but chances of that happening are very slight.

About vests, well, lets put it this way: For me, I havent played in a server with vests in about a few monthes. I spend all my time playing at DNA or Spike's server, which have no vests on. The majority of the Soldat servers, too, dont have vests on. It isnt that relevant, but it should be taken into consideration....The barret is virually useless against a player with a vest, it takes half of the bar away with 1 shot, but shoots 1 shot in 4 seconds, by the time you get a second shot you'd be pummled with bullets....

Icarius
February 10, 2004, 9:11 am
Heh, the whole reason the forum is always debating this issue is because of that topic. I can't say I'm proud but it certianly left a huge divide between the community as to who likes the barret and who doesn't.

That topic is gone now I think.

Holden
February 10, 2004, 9:28 am
TFS makes a good argument, and I, for one, agree that the Barret is overpowered. However, does this mean that it should not be allowed to play with? The thing is, that with 1.2, people now use Barret is an assaultgun, which defeats the whole purpose of a "Sniper Rifle". The changes should have been, like someone else stated, harder to run with it, or the aim should be very shaky, like in Metal Gear Solid. I enjoy the Barret, because it feels nice to get a good snipershot. I enjoy the Barret, because I have always felt that the automatic weapons (same in UT, BF1942)...are not for me. The Barret should be "one shot, one kill", but it should be made harder to shoot with it, so instead of being a newbie "no skill"-weapon, it should be made a weapon that is hard to master. That way, the players that use the Barret do not have to take all these complaints about them being lame and not knowing how to play the game.

So, in conclusion, there should be a sniper rifle, but it should be more balanced. 1.2 is one step forward, but two steps back. =(. And that is the only thing I dislike about 1.2, the Barret. But that's for another thread. =).

Icarius
February 10, 2004, 1:31 pm
Amigo, THE BARRET HAS BEEN USED AS AN ASSULT GUN SINCE FOREVER. Though your point should help support the arguement even more against the barret. As I've said many times before, people will argue and argue to keep the only gun they can play with

Someone the other day said: "The barret requires the most skill as you have to aim precisly with it" and this was coming for a newb for sure. So that proves my theory that the gun is idolized by people as the definitive weapon of Soldat. Remove the barret, and you have a game.

MisterX
February 10, 2004, 1:49 pm
I just don't think the Barret is a good weapon to be in Soldat. Look, who wants to lie on the ground sniping at your base all the time? sniping, sniping, not being able to run away. Noone I think. So the Barret is an assault weapon, too, so that people can run with it, like Soldat is ment to be played. But the barret with it's strengh should only be a sniper weapon, assault weapon would just don't make any sense. But if it would be just a sniper weapon, people would start camping, what's really anoying, especially with barret. But because of Soldat being a really fast game, camping isn't the right way fighting in Soldat. So Barret would neither be a good sniper weapon, nor a good assault weapon. But there's nothing between camping and running, so I don't think there's much left then just removing it..

Deleted User
February 10, 2004, 4:26 pm
Just make barret have crappy aim when your on air/running.

MisterX
February 10, 2004, 5:46 pm
IF the barret just HAS to stay in the game, then this has to be made. but then it would just be a camping sniper rifle. anoying, too..

that fuking sniper
February 10, 2004, 10:50 pm
quote:Originally posted by Holden
TFS makes a good argument, and I, for one, agree that the Barret is overpowered. However, does this mean that it should not be allowed to play with?

No, it doesnt. It means that the barret is currently overpowered and that we should learn from other games that dont allow a rail gun into normal matches because its overpowered. However, you can nerf its clip size and extend its reload times between magazines and bullets, that way it will be more balanced.

Heres an example, think of the barret right now, its good isnt it? Think about this: If the barret had 5 bullets per clip, 5 seconds between shots, 20 seconds reload, no scope, no sniper line, but would retain complete accuracy, whould it be *as* good as it is right now to earn the overpowering award? No, would it be still the same concept of a railgun and more balanced for play? Yes, would less people use it? Yes.

Acey
February 10, 2004, 10:54 pm
I agree with the aim thing, if its a sniper let it be like a sniper, you shouldnt be able to run around like you have an ak and kill, for the same reason you have to be crouched to use the LAW?

Yay Im a N00B! O:)

Holden
February 10, 2004, 11:11 pm
quote:Originally posted by Icarius
Amigo, THE BARRET HAS BEEN USED AS AN ASSULT GUN SINCE FOREVER.

Yes, and I wrote "1.2 is one step forward, but two steps back". Because the Barret is almost never being used as it intended to be, a sniper gun. I am aware that people used it as an overpowered shotgun before, but what I meant to say was that this use has accelerated since 1.2. Because, it is so much easier to run and crouch and shoot then to take your time, adjust your aim and pick someone off from far away. And that is what I dislike.

TFS, the concept for the Barret, in the scenario that you are talking about, is a sniper rifle. And I'm totally for that. The sniper line should be disabled. Extend its reload time, fine by me. However, the scope is a natural part of a sniper rifle. Therefore it should not be removed. I'm all for the other changes, except that one. A sniper rifle does, when in prone position, have a better scope than a AK47. After these changes have been made (and I suggested a shaky scope), then it would be like a sniper rifle, instead of a rail gun.

The problem is that it's too easy to use, and that is also the thing that I dislike. The sniping aspect of the weapon should be improved, whilst the assault aspects should be cut down. That way, we would have a more balanced sniper rifle, instead of a overpowered shotgun.

Zane Ball
February 12, 2004, 4:14 am
Hm.. I don't know if I'm a kNewbXXorZ or not, but, uh... I don't see why this game needs a sniper rifle. The scope is absurdly lame. The balance of the game is that your vision is limited by your screen; This gun both breaks this and also INSTANTLY kills. Screw that, man. I don't see the benefit of it, other than people think "it's cool" and "it's satisfying." I say, add a real rail-gun in its place, and yes, get people in the mindset that it should be off by default in regular matches. At the very least, TAKE THE SCOPE OFF. Who cares if that's a natural part of a sniper rifle if it clearly breaks the otherwise nigh-perfect balance the remaineder of the game achieves?

Man. First post, and I'm already vehement and probably looking like an arse in addition. Figures.

Icarius
February 12, 2004, 4:16 am
http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=11617 <--- READ AND STOP POSTING HERE

Captain_Jimbo
February 13, 2004, 6:37 am

Stop posting my free thought just cuz it was mentioned before?....nawwww. Besides, I was gonna comment on the knife anways. I'd have to agree with Blaster, I think it's a badass weapon that's perfect as it is. Sure it's a one-hit weapon, but it's a secondary and you've gotta work to get it back. Even though it's a 50/50 thing of whether I use it or not, I think it's one of the coolest additions in soldat.

Hova
February 13, 2004, 4:37 pm
Copied from my other post:

quote:I still don't think you can prove the barret is bad. Or good.

But the barrett has a low recoil:
quote:"The M82A1 operates on the short-recoil principle. Founder Ronnie Barrett designed the shoulder fired .50 caliber rifle. The recoiling barrel and bolt assembly acting against innovative spring and buffer assemblies replace the sharp recoil impact with a longer-acting lower recoil force. To further reduce the recoil load, the M82A1 is fitted with a dual chamber muzzle brake. The muzzle brake redirects high velocity gun gas to lower recoil by almost 70%. The net effect is a rifle with the felt recoil of a 12-gauge shotgun."

Its weight : 28.5 pounds (12.9kg)

I don't think you can run around with a 30 pound rifle and not be affected somewhat.

Also:
quote:The Barrett Model 82A1 rifle gained worldwide popularity after pioneering the return of shoulder fired big-bore rifles for shooting enthusiasts. As a result of its unique operating cycle, the M82A1 easily fires the largest commercially available cartridge in the world, the .50 caliber.

Thus its not overpowered. .50 caliber? That would tear a huge hole.

I got this from the barrett makers site: http://www.barrettrifles.com/

[IMAGE]
I'm a n00b, so I get killed by barrets all the time [:-weepn]