( search forums )
Freefloat (Current: V1.05 last update: Feb. 21)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
grand_diablo
February 15, 2004, 3:18 am
Freefloat (Deathmatch)

Screenshot: http://www.marketzone.de/files/freefloat.jpg
Download: http://www.marketzone.de/files/Freefloat.PMS

ENGLISH: Good aiming and tactics, that are the main skills needed on Freefloat. Blast your enemy while hopping and flying through this small map. Freefloat is intended to be used as 1 on 1 map or in deathmatches with up to 6 players (this is the recommended maximum, it'll be very crowded otherwise).

DEUTSCH: Ein gutes Ziel und taktisches Verständnis, dass sind die Skills, die du hauptsächlich auf Freefloat brauchst. Erledige deinen Gegner, wärend du durch diese kleine Map springst und fliegst. Freefloat wurde als 1 on 1 Map entworfen, aber auch Deathmatches mit bis zu 6 Spielern sind möglich (das ist das empfohlene Maximum, bei mehr Spielern wirds ziemlich eng).
---

After getting used to the editor by making some CTF maps (2 of them are released, ctf_flylands & ctf_2dungeons), I did my first DM map today - this one. I hope you'll enjoy playing on Freefloat, there shouldn't be any poly bugs left. The map is quite simple, yet fun to play. Bot waypoints will be implemented later, as i didnt really figure out how to insert them. Without waypoints, the bots will most likely end up on the bottom ground, shooting each other. But the thrill is intended to be out there, at the public servers ;)

Rambo_6
February 15, 2004, 5:15 am
a bit too 'sharp'.

In other words, round the polys a bit moer plz.

karmazonpl
February 15, 2004, 5:41 am
IMO there's too much free space
add few more polys
but anyway it looks good

grand_diablo
February 15, 2004, 12:18 pm
Thanks for your comments, guys :)

Now a new version of Freefloat is online, a new screenshot too (same urls, see above).

Now i smoothened the important edges and built in 2 little tunnels. Concerning the upper area of the map: As the map isnt as big as it may seems in the unzoomed screenshot, I think its ok up there, you have to show some flying skills though. But feel free to edit the upper area and release it as freefloat2 or something similar. :)

Rambo_6
February 15, 2004, 1:52 pm
some shading problems. I reccomend you take apart a map like ctf_b2b and see how it was shaded. Thets what i did.

grand_diablo
February 15, 2004, 1:59 pm
New Version of the map online now (incl. screenshot): V0.5

Improvements to 0.4, after some test playing with friends:
* fixed 2 poly bugs
* strenghtened thin polys to prevent shooting through them
* new background colors, as people werent very excited about the orange

Cookie.
February 16, 2004, 4:49 am
A campers delight :)

grand_diablo
February 16, 2004, 1:18 pm
quote:Originally posted by Cookie.
A campers delight :)

I wouldn't say so, there are two places were camping could be more or less effective, but I played the map yesterday with some people, using different Guns (HK, M79, Barret, Shotgun) and it worked fine. And compared to some standard DM maps, where you can camp on every edge, this one's harmless (imho) :)

grand_diablo
February 20, 2004, 11:59 pm
Freefloat has got bot waypoints now, the new version is online.

Its V1.00, the first final version, there is -of course- still space for improvements, re-editing the waypoints etc.

grand_diablo
February 21, 2004, 1:26 pm
New "Improvement": Darker background, map is now 1.01 (screenshots are still from the old version)

grand_diablo
February 21, 2004, 2:03 pm
You wont believe it, another new version is online (1.05). As I played some time with friends, we found another polybug, and my clanmate Mantis had the idea, to improve the map with an icy area on bottom of the map. Recent screenshots will be up soon.