( search forums )
MOVE THIS TO THE LOUNGE
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
peemonkey
February 20, 2004, 11:26 pm
^i want to start making programs for soldat. ive got a few ideas, but i dont want DeMo to get overworked XD

so like, yea. links?

Electro_cyc
February 21, 2004, 12:19 am
Lol... Well, there game maker. I can't find the link right now. Then there is Visual Basic (which is what I use). And C++ if you have a few months to learn.

peemonkey
February 21, 2004, 1:10 am
Visual basic? link, decription?

Electro_cyc
February 21, 2004, 2:00 am
Visual Basic is also programming but its not that hard. And there's no link, you have to buy it from Microsoft.

peemonkey
February 21, 2004, 3:21 am
damn those microsoft nazis. i guess ill try out gamemaker. i had it before, but i didnt know you could make straight programs with it...now that i think about it, it's probably not that hard.

HOBBES
February 21, 2004, 9:28 am
Visual Basic is goood. I have 6.2. Its pretty expensive, but I bought a cheap copy of it.

Visual Basic screenshot:
Download Attachment: [IMAGE] Visual basic.jpg152.08 KB

Deleted User
February 21, 2004, 11:41 am
I have Visual Studio (VB with extras) and I found an old version of Borland Delphi on a cd somewhere which I installed too.

Problem is, I have nothing to make [:D].

Dark_Noddy
February 21, 2004, 2:22 pm
I have 3 or 4 progs I've dled but never installed and Delphi 6 and 7 ^^

Electro_cyc
February 21, 2004, 3:12 pm
Oh yeah I forgot, there's also Python which is free. But it's also programming, a bit harder than visual basic. I think the website is [URL].

And here are two very simple games I made with VB. Just to show you what VB can do.
http://www.geocities.com/v_electro_7/
I made them a while ago so don't expect anything great. But it only took me a few days.

peemonkey
February 21, 2004, 9:40 pm
python looks too hard. i might try visual basic. How much is it?

Josh1l6
February 22, 2004, 8:09 am
Free C compiler for windows?
C and C++ are much better. If you are new to programming I recommend you muddy your shoes with these because if you want to make more powerful stuff later VB is too limiting. Also everyone who wants to use your programs will have to have the VB runtimes and noobs who don't will bombard you with help queries. C is self-contained.

palloco
February 22, 2004, 9:27 am
Use Java man! Or python...
BTW I had seen a free visual basic compiler somewhere but I do nto remember where.

Inquisitor
February 22, 2004, 3:13 pm
game maker language is easy to learn and offers a lot. as long as you only want to make support tools or 2d-games, this prog is perfect. But if you want to make s.th. in 3d, it's getting difficult.

Electro_cyc
February 22, 2004, 4:22 pm
Don't try to start out with C++ or java. If you are new to programming it will just confuse you. You have to start with something easier to learn.

b00stA
February 22, 2004, 4:59 pm
quote:Originally posted by Electro_cyc
Don't try to start out with C++ or java. If you are new to programming it will just confuse you. You have to start with something easier to learn.

I started with Qbasic, but I wouldn't recommend that now ;)

Maybe start with mIRC scripting or PHP?

peemonkey
February 23, 2004, 12:47 am
TOO MANY DANG OPTIONS!! TOO MANY ABBREVIATIONS!!
Q:how would you make something with game maker, that wasnt a game? be there like, some tutorial er sumptin?

Aegis
February 23, 2004, 1:54 am
If your willing to learn C++ which is harder to learn than Visual Basic but 231049324983453453543 times better, you can use Dev C++, which is a 100% free C++ IDE (Internal development environment). This works very well with me, and im even learning advanced game development with it. Note that C++ takes much more to produce windows and such, if you just want to create a small prog that edits simple files I recommend VB. [URL]

Josh1l6
February 23, 2004, 2:11 am
I LOATHE the VB runtimes. But otherwise VB is peachy.

peemonkey
February 23, 2004, 3:11 am
im not really trying to make a game. im trying to make something that would work in soldat( move, change files, etc) Ive got some killer ideas for programs, but i want to be the one to make them.

Aegis
February 23, 2004, 3:33 am
As long as your ideas do not involve rendering or high graphics sort of things(i.e. a map utility that would have to display the map) then using Visual Basic is your best bet. Making a whole interface is pretty easy in it, and so is File input/output usually. Unfortunately Visual Basic has the tendency to cost a lot of money.

TheArc
March 7, 2004, 2:49 am
C++ is great, just take a course on it at a local college (or if you're in high school, many schools offer it) or buy a book on it (but I reccomend a class)

peemonkey
March 7, 2004, 10:51 pm
yea, im pretty much over it. i made something real crappy with gamaker. it works, but it's very complicated to use, so only ill use it(dont feel like making it for everyone else)

Pr0ger
March 8, 2004, 1:10 am
Delphi rulezzz

Dathker
March 8, 2004, 2:00 am
your m0m` ;)
lol pr0ger mkae me a program...please please please... a sdm editor!?!?!

eXistenZ
March 8, 2004, 8:49 am
bah u all say that c++ is better than vb 9999999999999999999 times but can u say why c++ is better than vb except that its crossplatform ( works on all OS's ) and yes vb can be expensive but its very good

palloco
March 8, 2004, 7:58 pm
Want reasons or want examples?
C++ is muuuuuuch faaaaaster. Reason enough to do all scientific prgrams in C++, I NEVER saw I scientific program made in VB, and to do any program needed to operate in real time.
Examples:
Chatex: It occupies 2 MB and has no functionality.
XChat: It occupies 2 MB and is the best IRC program.
VB IS CRAP, ONLY USEFUL FOR NOOBS AND SMALL WINAPPS

eXistenZ
March 8, 2004, 8:41 pm
really vb is for n00bz thats gotta be the stupidest thing i ever heard just because u made n00b programs it doesn't mean its for n00bz aigh't and u dont even know my program fagget stop talkin [:-censored] if u dont eat it first and for u to know my program is only a beggining to non irc chat programs

eXistenZ
March 8, 2004, 8:55 pm
quote:Originally posted by palloco
Want reasons or want examples?
C++ is muuuuuuch faaaaaster. Reason enough to do all scientific prgrams in C++

rofl thats gotta be the stupidest reason / example i ever heard, :/ u sure know how to make great explications.

palloco
March 9, 2004, 8:33 am
Show me the power of VB!

eXistenZ
March 9, 2004, 9:26 am
lol why should i waste my time exaplaining to a n00b if u wanna make a crossplatform program/game fine i dont give a [:-censored] go ahead.

palloco
March 9, 2004, 9:30 am
So you do not know if VB is powerful or not, LOL good for you.

eXistenZ
March 9, 2004, 6:33 pm
really man ur talkin non sence all time TOPIC CLOSED

palloco
March 9, 2004, 7:38 pm
It is funny to mix your nonsense with mine.

Toumaz
March 12, 2004, 2:01 pm
Game maker is powerful when making simple 2D-games.
Check the link in the siggy - I've made it with GM.

Inquisitor
March 13, 2004, 10:25 am
yeah, GM rulez

antiCamper
March 15, 2004, 3:42 pm
GameMaker SUCKS

Cookie.
March 16, 2004, 5:36 am
The fight club game is awesome! :) i played it for quite a bit :) and im proud to say i killed vitaliy krasko in the boss fight :)

Electro_cyc
March 17, 2004, 5:43 pm
quote:really vb is for n00bz thats gotta be the stupidest thing i ever heard just because u made n00b programs it doesn't mean its for n00bz aigh't and u dont even know my program fagget stop talkin if u dont eat it first and for u to know my program is only a beggining to non irc chat programs

You have got to be one of the dumbest people I've met so far. Yes, C++ is better but when you start with C++ you end up ripping your hair out and knowing even less than you did before.

And I'm glad you're enjoying it cookie. Although I probobly shouldn't have put my name in there...[:-censored]...

peemonkey
March 17, 2004, 6:23 pm
I DON'T CARE ANYMORE! I'M 100% OVER IT!!! STOP POSTING HERE!!!

Doombringer
April 1, 2004, 3:18 am
Hem, First of all, C++ is not cross-platform (C is cross platform (linux/windows) if you have two different compiler)

Second, Visual Basic is great to start programming because you dont have to convert those damn string into double and all these crap like in c/c++/c# (I think C# is really great). But when you get used to programming with visual basic, you find it very poor because it is REALLY SLOW, programms are BIGS and buttons are not nice (except if you have a .exe.manifest)

If you want to get a great free IDE for C#, visual basic .NET, html, J++ and more, go to [URL]

peemonkey
April 1, 2004, 3:34 am
could a moderator delete or move this topic to the lounge?

JaZzMaN
April 15, 2004, 10:33 am
For those who don't know it, you can get VB easily if you go to MS Word or Excel and just press Alt+F11... It is, right? [:-golf][:-shake]

palloco
April 15, 2004, 1:28 pm
Uh, nice.
BTW C++ is as crossplatform as c