( search forums )
Ledge hanging ala Splinter Cell
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Josh1l6
February 22, 2004, 4:02 pm
I was playing peemonkey's Fortified Fortress map and the thing that bugged me was how hard it was to get over the many trenches safely. I supposed that this was the way the author wanted the map to be like but it didn't seem tactical at all that I couldn't advance to the next trench without fully exposing myself to hilltop gunfire. I'm talking about a move is ripped straight from many popular games which you should all be familiar with, such as Splinter Cell, Tomb Raider and Prince of Persia. EDIT: and Metal Gear Solid 2!! No, not the split jump...

-soldat climbs over low ledges when you walk up to one and press up. Normally the soldat will bump into the ledge, stop, and then you have to jump kinda high to get over it.
-soldat does the one-hand vault when you run up to a low ledge and time the press of the up key just right.
-soldat jumps up and grabs higher ledges when you press up. He can hang there to hide or for cover, and on press up again he climbs over. If you press the down key while he climbs he'll crawl over and go prone.
-soldat generally grabs ledges in front of him when you press up, ie. while jumping over a chasm or while using jet boots.

Now, for hanging down from a ledge...

-when soldat is facing away from a ledge, pressing down will make him grab the ledge then lower his legs down. Press down again and he'll drop down. This move works even if he is prone, he just has to be facing away from the ledge.
-this is slightly crazy acrobatic, but...when soldat is running backwards, he can one-hand-vault low ledges on up key press? This may be better not implemented, so you can choose to slow down to fire at your pursuers or pass over ledges smoothly.

You cannot fire your weapon while hanging as you are using both hands. I don't imagine it would be very convenient to hang backwards or fire over your back.

These moves can be seen in 2D exactly in Splinter Cell for the cell phone.

Next up...ladders/ropes...(rappelling?)

HOBBES
February 22, 2004, 7:45 pm
It sound pretty good, but think it would ruin soldats good controlling.

KiwiStalk
February 23, 2004, 8:22 am
I really like the idea. However, if implemented, the game would change from Quake meets Abuse game, to Contra meets Theif. That doesn't bother me one frickin bit, in fact, I would like the change.

Anyways, the only thing I don't like is that I can't shoot while hanging. Not shooting while in the motion of climbing is a dur, but when I'm hanging off a cliff I only need one hand... theoretically. [;)]

And if this is implemented, I call for a Single Player campaign!!

Josh1l6
February 23, 2004, 8:28 am
Hmm I guess you can shoot while hanging Rambo or Indiana Jones or whoever style. (Sam Fisher can dangle by his legs and fire upside down!) I'll revise: theoritically you should be able to shoot while hanging. I can't imagine the reloading process, is the guy gonna use his teeth or do the jerk-flip thing from Terminator 2? Bah, it's just a game... You should not be able to fire during the climbing animation, just like while rolling.

EDIT: single player missions have been mentioned alot but that's just not Soldat, at least not in the forseeable future. Maybe if Michal allows really big mods+scripting later (ew, scripting, predictablity ew). Infiltration is to missions as Call of Duty is to Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

KiwiStalk
February 23, 2004, 8:37 am
Since it's only a game, he'll use his teeth. I think that would be cool to see your char biting at the gun... that's just so unique and cool!

Yin_Starrunner
February 23, 2004, 11:48 pm
quote:Originally posted by Josh1l6
Infiltration is to missions as Call of Duty is to Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Im not sure i understand, what r you saying about my beloved RTCW?

Josh1l6
February 24, 2004, 12:18 am
I never got to play Call of Duty yet [:(] but I've heard that it is cooperation-centered rather than one-man-army. Got nothing against B.J. Blazkowicz, I love that game too.