( search forums )
Holster gun - Run/Fly faster
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Mechanoid
February 22, 2004, 9:13 pm
Press a key ("H" for "H"olster, probably) and you put your gun away into a stand-by position on your back. While your gun is holstered you can run and fly about 50% faster then you normally could. The weight of the guns would then add/subtract from this movement speed bonus. (Holstered Desert Eagles would let you move faster then if you had a holstered M82.)

While your weapon is holstered, and you remain still, the soldat's arms and hands are at their sides. If you move, you have a running animation of the arms pumping back and forth with whatever chain you're wearing bouncing up/down to show that the soldat's hauling a$$![;)] Lay prone and the arms are shown as if he had a gun out. If you press "fire" you punch (So you have Primary, Secondary, and now Punch - always available to pound someone) whatever's infront of you.

Un-holstering bringing the weapon back up is just as easy. Press the "H"olster button again and wait until the weapon's cooldown time has finished, and you can fire (If you holster a barret, you have to wait the amount of time as if you just fired a shot before you can actually shoot the gun. otherwise people could holster/unholster and rapid-fire a barret![:-skull])

So - Holster to put the weapon away and move faster, and then unholster when you want to fight. While Holstered, you can punch or switch to your secondary nearly instantly.

[- Flag Carriers cannot holster their weapon.
- Speed bonus only while on ground.
- Toni_Cicerelli suggested you run alittle bit faster if you have a knife out.]

Famine
February 22, 2004, 9:44 pm
I actually like this idea very much...especially where you can punch

Josh1l6
February 23, 2004, 1:31 am
Slide-tackle the flag carrier! Chase him down, grab him by the legs and beat the crap out of him. Then smash his head open with the butt of the Barret.

Famine
February 23, 2004, 1:43 am
Yes hold the heavy barret with one hand over your hand and bring it down.

Aegis
February 23, 2004, 2:20 am
Um have you guys ever seen or heard of the Weapon Switch key? This does the exact same thing as what youve described here, minus the speed changes. If you want to punch simply press F to throw your secondary weapon away and you can switch between your primary and fists at any time. (Who would want to punch anyway?)

Hova
February 23, 2004, 2:26 am
Aegis, they don't want to throw away a gun, plus they want the speed changes. I'm pretty much neutral on this idea.

MisterX
February 23, 2004, 5:06 am
well, I would say it should be like that: Normally when you are dead or joined a server, you can choose a secondary weapon. Now you would be able to choose no sec. weapon. So now, when you holster your weapon and have no weapon in the hands, you fly/run/etc. faster. But of course you could pick up another weapon then. I think this could be a nice idea. Then you would have to choose, when the enemy flagcarrier runs away if you try to shoot him while running behind him, or if you holster your weapon and try to catch him. Could be pretty funny I think.

peemonkey
February 23, 2004, 6:05 am
uhh...no? cause like, that woldnt be cool to be able to dodge an M79 shot, then run up and bring up yer ruger and ass-rap3 the poor fellow

kevith
February 23, 2004, 7:44 pm
Interesting idea... I have to admit that I was skeptical when I just saw the topic (sounded like a noob idea) but I think I remembered Mechanoid having had some good ideas in the past so I looked anyway. While I'm not sold on the idea, I do think it could add an interesting element to the game. Maybe to help deal with peemonkey's complaint you could just say that unholstering any weapon would have the delay of a loading barret before shooting. I realize that certain weapons would realistically be able to unholster more quickly, but who cares about realism? We want playability!

Flexz
February 23, 2004, 8:50 pm
how about when u fly in the air with yet, and u go in prone, u start making more speed diagonal and less speed vertical... ala superman.

MisterX
February 23, 2004, 10:05 pm
@peemonkey to do this it must be like 100% more speed. but I didn't think of double speed, but maybe 1/4 more speed, or something like that. just that you maybe can get the flagcarrier more quickly, but not be able to defend yourself. just to move faster while there are no enemies, not really to dodge shots. this could be especially good for knivers. their knife is really strong, but it's hard to hit enemies with it, and if you threw it away and there are enemies around you, it's pretty hard to get it back. but then it would be easier to get the knife back, and it wouldn't be THAT bad if you loose it, because you're faster then :)

Shade
February 23, 2004, 11:50 pm
Uhm, sorry guys, but think:
You holster the weapon, physically you're still carrying the same weight. So why should you run faster? Just because you are free handed? Nah. Hold a 50kg stone with your hands and run. You probably won't move fast. Now carry the same 50kg stone in your back. Any changes? I don't think so...

kevith
February 24, 2004, 12:29 am
Why does it always come back to whether it's realistic or not? It is kinda cool to be able to move faster with the trade-off of not being able to shoot. And what's wrong with ruger-raping m79ers? [;)]

Toni_Cicerelli
February 24, 2004, 12:59 am
I like the idea, one reason is that when im normaly unarmed and I punch a armed person I get there weapon. Wile this is sometimes usefull you lose that speed when there weapon falls in to your hand. And mayby, just a thought... you could have the same bonus with the knife. And if not the full bonus maybe a patial one. Since knifes are really light it would kinda make sence. And with out speed and realistic mode on, what good is it.

Mechanoid
February 24, 2004, 5:21 am
quote:Originally posted by Toni_Cicerelli
I like the idea, one reason is that when im normaly unarmed and I punch a armed person I get there weapon. Wile this is sometimes usefull you lose that speed when there weapon falls in to your hand. And mayby, just a thought... you could have the same bonus with the knife. And if not the full bonus maybe a patial one. Since knifes are really light it would kinda make sence. And with out speed and realistic mode on, what good is it.

good idea, and just to note - the flag carrier couldn't hoster his weapon; thus doomed to be slower then you if you decide to chase him.

Roy
February 24, 2004, 6:01 am
quote:Originally posted by Shade
You holster the weapon, physically you're still carrying the same weight. So why should you run faster? Just because you are free handed? Nah. Hold a 50kg stone with your hands and run. You probably won't move fast. Now carry the same 50kg stone in your back. Any changes? I don't think so...

Exactly right.

It might be easier to run if you don't have to carry an object in your hands which gets in the way, true, but any "speed bonus" from holstering the object would be minimal. I don't like this idea, because it is:

1) Unecessary. Ever heard of KISS? Are you really itching to be able to holster your weapon?
2) It would be unrealistic and detract from the game. If you made the speed bonus too large, not only would it be unrealistic, but everyone would be fumbling between holstering and switching weapons and crap, and running around at crazy speed. If you made the bonus small, then what's even the point of it?

Also you do realize that if you get close to a soldat and press Fire, you don't shoot, but punch/butt them with your weapon? It doesn't matter what weapon you have on you, you always punch them. "You have primary, secondary, and now punch," I don't get this statement. This is how it's always been.

Mechanoid
February 25, 2004, 2:35 am
quote:Holstered Desert Eagles would let you move faster then if you had a holstered M82.

Roy, Soldiers flying through the air and shooting a BARRET with near perfect accuracy is unrealistic.

I should've specified that you'd only get a speed bonus if your feet are on the ground... A loose object attached to your body destroys your rythm of running, causing you to lose speed. Sure, you'll move slower with bigger weapons (RE: THE ABOVE QUOTE FROM THE MAIN IDEA) but because the weapon is secure and you can get a better running rythm going ON THE GROUND, you can run just ever so faster.

And YES, it IS a good idea to put this in to let maps with no jet fuel be possible and fun, and to give maps with jetfuel more options for flag chasers.. Your velocity carries over into when you begin to fly, you know. (Going fast? you'll fly fast. Going REALLY fast? You'll fly REALLY fast. etc.)

Sekushi
February 25, 2004, 3:57 am
"H" would be kind of difficult... Maybe "R" or something closer to the A-S-W-D pad.

Josh1l6
February 25, 2004, 5:22 am
"Z" because it opposes "Q"

MisterX
February 25, 2004, 12:37 pm
I think "wich button should it be?" isn't the problem here, is it?

quote:Originally posted by Shade

it IS easier to walk with this stone in your back than in your hands, and maybe you are faster. just for me, when I go to school and carry my schoolbag with the hands then on my back, and it's really heavy, then it's much more exhausting (err, right word?). so I don't think being faster when holstering the weapon would be too unrealistic. and even if it would be, who cares? this thread is about balancing not realism :)

After.Math
February 25, 2004, 1:15 pm
quote:Originally posted by Josh1l6
Slide-tackle the flag carrier! Chase him down, grab him by the legs and beat the crap out of him. Then smash his head open with the butt of the Barret.

Ummm...no. I am nuetral on the idea. I mean, why would you want to holster your gun to go faster? I can kind of see why...but If your in a battle, you wouldnt have any use for the thing.

HOBBES
February 25, 2004, 5:27 pm
quote:Originally posted by Mechanoid

Flag Carriers cannot holster their weapon.

I dont like this one ^ it would make killing the flag carriers too easy. But the rest is ok [;)]