( search forums )
ctf_equinox (UPDATE #2)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Tha Doggfather
February 22, 2004, 11:40 pm
ok i worked a long time on this map, its my best map so far imo (ok ok i only made like 5 but still [^])

as you can see its a night map, with two underground bases and a broken bridge in the middle (deadly spikes underneath it)

it has a WW2 feel to it, (although i didnt used specific scenery) so i recommend using a WW2 mod with it, plays much better.

i couldnt use any more scenery because i reached the limit :/ but i guess theres enough on it. the map isnt waypointed (i really suck at it) and has a few polybugs (mainly jumpy polygons) but i cant fix them, when i try the ground looks all messed up with corners sticking out... youll just have to deal with them (there arent that many)

its quite big (or so people told me) so id say 6-10 players would be OK.

here are the screens:

OVERVIEW

moon

red base

bridge

and heres the download:

click

if i get M or someone else to waypoint it, ill update this post, so dont forget to redownload it then.

UPDATE:

The map is now waypointed (Thanks to bb_vb), so if you actually downloaded this map, you can now redownload it. If you get a bug saying "original map scenery could not be modified", just open the map with the mapmaker and recompile it, then save it and it should work.

UDPATE #2:

I updated the map once again, listened to some complaints. Here are the changes:

- slightly altered background color
- supports under the floating part in the middle
- middle part is less jumpy now (deleted some polygons so running over it goes more smoothly)

paradox
February 23, 2004, 12:14 am
I like the lights and the bridge

peemonkey
February 23, 2004, 12:55 am
nice map doggy. waypointed? meh, ill do it if it aint(with yer permition, of course)

Rambo_6
February 23, 2004, 2:04 am
i've figgered out how to waypoint, gimme a holler if you need me. same goes for the rest of you guys.

NICE MAP!

Josh1l6
February 23, 2004, 2:13 am
man that is a piece of art

enjoyincubus
February 23, 2004, 2:26 am
This is one map I actually downloaded. :)

Overall, it's a pretty good map. It would be cool if there was some real story behind it (like an old WWII attack in the middle of the night) and there were Nazi flags or maybe British flags or something. Anyway, I LOVE the lights and the bridge.

You've ignited my mapping imagination...I'm going to embark on a WWII mapping adventure...

I'll waypoint this if M won't.

Haro1121
February 23, 2004, 2:28 am
hmm this map looks alot like one from the henchin mod or one that kairis makeing

Hercule Poirot
February 23, 2004, 8:01 am
yeah this is your best map :p hmm maybe little too dark but its ctf so ppl dont have fully black clothing...

sande24
February 23, 2004, 5:58 pm
the best map seen... GJ

sativa
February 23, 2004, 6:11 pm
well i tested this map for doggy an di tell u to download it it's awsome

Eagle1
February 23, 2004, 6:44 pm
Really good map you should waypoint it then release it. Two thumbs up.

qtR`
February 23, 2004, 7:57 pm
That looks damn good

N1nj@
February 23, 2004, 10:28 pm
wow, really nice, I really like the broken bridge there. Unique and cool.

Some of my suggestions would be that adding more stars in the sky and some more lights in the tunnel.

Tha Doggfather
February 24, 2004, 1:40 pm
wow im surprised by all the positive reactions. and yes haro, i was inspired by those henchin maps, i found a map on their site that has those underground bases too, i really liked it so i made my own map with them. i used two pieces of scenery from those maps: the table and the beds. i made the light beams myself.

as for the waypoints: i already posted in the bot forum, but nobody replied yet, so if anyone wants to waypoint it: go ahead, i only want one thing: the bots should use all available ways to the flag. i would be happy if somebody could waypoint my map, i really suck at it.

maybe ill update the map with some of the suggestions mentioned above.

Rambo_6
March 6, 2004, 1:05 pm
Well, it looks like you busted your ass over it, so congrats! It's one of the few good maps that's made it to my collection. I wish more people did maps like this.

Good job! [:)]

Roy
March 6, 2004, 6:14 pm
I have to tell you... I really really hate these types of map. I don't understand why anyone would make a pitch black map, with no way of knowing the terrain or anything. It pisses me off a ton.

BUT, after I opened up the map editor and changed the BG colors, I was much happier. It's so much better when you can actually see the sillouette of the terrain. I strongly suggest that you do this to your map; I made two custom colors which were extremely dark grey for the BG, almost black, but just light enough that it brought out the terrain. IMO this improved the map greatly.

So, playing on it with a lighter BG, I think the map is pretty good. There aren't any obvious polygon bugs or anything. The bots are waypointed well. The curved polygons are done pretty well. My only real complaint is the floating thing in the center of the map. As with all floating terrain, it would be best done attached to the ground somehow, with supports or stone columns or something. Also, it's too rocky... it looks nice, but trying to talk or run over it is a pain and only get in the way. I'd recommend you change the rockyness to scenery somehow so that it didn't interfere with actual movement.

IMO, address the things I've mentioned, and it'd be a very top-notch map. It has great atmosphere and playability (after I changed the BG, that is.) Good work.

Tha Doggfather
March 6, 2004, 6:25 pm
maybe you just have to change your brightness of your monitor, because its not that dark: i can see quite clearly and i haven't got any other complaints about it being that dark.

maybe ill update the map once again. but i cant add any more scenery, i reached the limit :/
i could use polygons that dont collide with bullets and players for the supports. ill work on the "rockyness" of that hamburger too ;)

Hitman
March 6, 2004, 6:30 pm
WOW! Nice map Doggy! Me is definatly gonna download it! Hope this gets into the custom maps!

..*has an orgasm*

Tha Doggfather
March 6, 2004, 8:59 pm
map updated, see 1st post.

Hitman
March 6, 2004, 9:39 pm
Oh, me is gonna download it...again. Lol, I haven't even played it yet, to busy.

Edit: Well, I just played a good 20 minutes on it and I got to tell you, you did a great job! This map would definatly rock online!

Tha Doggfather
March 6, 2004, 10:44 pm
thx, i would like to play it online but nobody has custom maps on their servers, except now the DNAgames.net server. perhaps if enough people would ask, this map would get rotated on DNA... WINK WINK :)

Hitman
March 6, 2004, 11:31 pm
Nudge Nudge..

GluLm
March 9, 2004, 2:32 pm
*plays*
*stops to play*
*shakes head*
*plays again*
*can't stop to play*
DAMN! This map is one of the best ever made!
Please make more maps, you're a great map maker!
AWESOME.

Tha Doggfather
March 9, 2004, 2:53 pm
thanks for the feedback :)

i am making a new map (i think its gonna be an INF map) but it wont be finished soon, i dont work on it very often.

Hitman
March 9, 2004, 3:03 pm
Yay, can't wait!

..I've sent a Pm to Styx asking him if your map could be included on the Cft server. *Crosses fingers*

Tha Doggfather
March 9, 2004, 3:37 pm
well, if ctf_trench can be on there, i dont see why my map cant. god i hate that ctf_trench map. who made it anyway?

GluLm
May 16, 2004, 10:32 pm
There is a problem.
Why (the heck) is the version of ctf_equinox different on the
DNA map pack than the original one posted here!?
This need an explanation please.
It's a mess now because the map included in the DNA pack seems to have been recompiled in a wrong way since it now complains about "platbg.bmp" having changed (this is a scenery-gfx file from the Platform.pms map).
That's odd.

Tha Doggfather
May 17, 2004, 6:55 am
yeah i gave up long ago on this map, but ill update it (later this week or maybe today).