GameSpot article
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Virdeus02
February 23, 2004, 2:57 am
check it out:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6089727/p-4.html

Element_101
February 23, 2004, 10:17 am
Well it seems soldat has taken its first step very good to know! This should give soldat a lot of publicity as Gamespot is one of the most respected gameing sites on the net

Josh1l6
February 23, 2004, 4:20 pm
The author didn't capture the essence of Soldat very well, just described the features it had, said it was good, and ordered people to try it out. That sounded like a joke. Did you see the poll? 2/3rds said they weren't gonna download Soldat. He made Soldat sound like a NORMAL GAME. oooooh. *shivers*

Virdeus02
February 23, 2004, 5:19 pm
it also has it's very own sectino like the other games, too.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/soldat/index.html

Michal Marcinkowski
February 23, 2004, 7:12 pm
Yeah I hate when they write about Soldat like some NORMAL GAME, it's a retarded game:)

Maybe everyone could send Soldat to game magazines in their countries so that they make articles about it all around the world. Somebody told me Soldat was in Australia and Germany, does anybody know about something else?

Hitman
February 23, 2004, 7:43 pm
There is some really Nerdy programme on Sky One (English Channel) called Gamesvill and I'm sure that loads of people who play computer games watch it all the time. They also have this thing where they show good free games off the internet so I think I'll send them an e-mail.

Icarius
February 23, 2004, 10:16 pm
Argh, DONT EVEN [:-censored]ING SEND IT THERE.... Gamesville is watched by 11-year half-pint scum and the game will just become another Ego-fest just like CS.

SuperKill
February 23, 2004, 10:25 pm
<sends soldat information to gamesville>

Icarius
February 23, 2004, 10:27 pm
I hope you [:-censored]ing die for your crimes.

Hitman
February 23, 2004, 10:29 pm
Lol, it's worth try.

Yin_Starrunner
February 23, 2004, 10:31 pm
OMFG those guys said so whatabout SOLDAT. this is SOLDAT we're talking about. noone hates SOLDAT.

And you're right, he did make it sound crappy. I bet a soon as people saw the word "shareware", they automatically clicked no.

I think he should have told people at the BEGINNING of the article that there were hardly any restrictions. Damn him.

Sekushi
February 23, 2004, 11:30 pm
He threw in the nice comment "Stop reading this, and go play Soldat already." though :D

MisterX
February 23, 2004, 11:42 pm
In Germany? Well, I just know it was on files4fun.de. Files4Fun was a really great site for free games, now it's not really good anymore. But on this site there's a really, really huge amount of freegames. But there's a Top10 as well. And, surprise, look what's #1: http://files4fun.cw07.calibra-web.de/Fullgames/top10.htm Yes, Soldat.
It was on Files4Fun.de When the 1.05b. Just because of this site I started to play Soldat, and loved it, and still love it, of course. And I think many others who still play Soldat just got to it by Files4Fun.de. That proves that advertising is really important, so send it any magazine you know :) In Germany we've got 3-4 really big game magazines, and a TV show, just about games (Giga Games). But I don't think they would show it in Giga Games or burn it on the CDs/DVDs of the magazines.

Akujin
February 24, 2004, 12:07 am
how I found out about the game? well I searched for "black shemales go anal" on google and accidently hitted the "Official Soldat Site" somewere there.. o_O

anyways, ill try to get pcgamers and pcgaming to review it in their magazines..

Sekushi
February 24, 2004, 12:45 am
PC gaming? Soldat? Hah. :/

KiwiStalk
February 24, 2004, 5:44 am
Jeff Gerstmann or whatever is a lame ass. I've been using GameSpot since 1999 or something and ALL his reviews are either shortsided, or blatantly incorrect. True, this isn't a review, but I'm saying that never talks about games correctly, like he's a developer who wants to know what the fans want, but won't listen type of thing. Of course he made it sound like a normal game, he thinks all games are normal games. Read some of his reviews, and don't take it personal. The guy is a dic.k with no "center" so to speak.

mat
February 24, 2004, 6:53 am
Well... I spammed all the major .ro sites with soldat, and all the people I know, but they just don't get it how could they play Soldat when they have CS... and actually, I remember I learnd it pretty hard... u really have to get used to the terrain and moving around... It ain't that easy at the first time, but worth at least trying it out, and... If it hooked you, u are guaranteed to be addicted

Denacke
February 24, 2004, 12:26 pm
I remember there's been a little article of it in the gamesmagazine "PCgameplay" Here in Belgium :)

ThaD
February 24, 2004, 6:08 pm
>>does anybody know about something else?

Poland (CD Action as far as i remember)

J_Swift
February 25, 2004, 2:19 am
quote:Originally posted by KiwiStalk
Jeff Gerstmann or whatever is a lame ass. I've been using GameSpot since 1999 or something and ALL his reviews are either shortsided, or blatantly incorrect. True, this isn't a review, but I'm saying that never talks about games correctly, like he's a developer who wants to know what the fans want, but won't listen type of thing. Of course he made it sound like a normal game, he thinks all games are normal games. Read some of his reviews, and don't take it personal. The guy is a dic.k with no "center" so to speak.

I beg to differ. I have been a Gamespot Complete member for ~1 year now and have been highly entertained by Mr. Gerstmann's reviews. I am usually right along with him in tastes for games and he reviews very well. All of the reviewers at Gamespot are excellent, in fact, and I use them as my first source for information. To the "all games are normal games" comment, I say to look at his GTA reviews in which he lauded the game as the best of it's time.

Keep in mind that the Gamespotting editorial that the site runs is just a weekly hiatus on whatever the editor chooses. It so happened that Jeff was playing Soldat a lot at the moment and he wrote about it. You are looking too far into him taking it as a "normal" game. The review is meant to be that--a REVIEW.

Also, the title of "Shareware" is an arbitrary name given to the current set of articles. If you read the site regularly, then that will have no effect on your vote if you will download the game.

BMF
February 25, 2004, 3:06 am
GTA 3 is an overrated piece of [:-censored]

Ta-2
February 25, 2004, 2:28 pm
Most downloaded game in www.mbnet.fi some time ago =)

Element_101
February 26, 2004, 9:43 am
quote:Originally posted by Michal Marcinkowski
Somebody told me Soldat was in Australia and Germany, does anybody know about something else?

Ive tryed to send the mag to PCPP probably Australias biggest gameing mag but didnt really get no responce but Ill keep trying

boloss
February 27, 2004, 3:11 pm
yeah it is a good article , nice pub, it makes me want to play of it !

Mcrakin9
March 5, 2004, 1:47 am
cool need more players and more custom map servers

DeepII
March 5, 2004, 9:49 pm
quote:Originally posted by MisterX
In Germany? Well, I just know it was on files4fun.de. Files4Fun was a really great site for free games, now it's not really good anymore. But on this site there's a really, really huge amount of freegames. But there's a Top10 as well. And, surprise, look what's #1: http://files4fun.cw07.calibra-web.de/Fullgames/top10.htm Yes, Soldat.
It was on Files4Fun.de When the 1.05b. Just because of this site I started to play Soldat, and loved it, and still love it, of course. And I think many others who still play Soldat just got to it by Files4Fun.de. That proves that advertising is really important, so send it any magazine you know :) In Germany we've got 3-4 really big game magazines, and a TV show, just about games (Giga Games). But I don't think they would show it in Giga Games or burn it on the CDs/DVDs of the magazines.

Soldat was in gamemagazins...it was at "GameStar" and "GameStar - Spiele für Geizige"(came out last month...I think you still can buy it in shops[it cots 7? or so]). I think it was at "PCGames" too...and they showed Soldat at "Giga Games"(btw: all n00bs u see in Soldat have downloaded Soldat from there...). And it was on the DVD's of "GameStar" and "PCGames"(but only in the version "for people over 16"...). Maybe Soldat was on "ScreenFun" too.

btw: 3-4 really big magazins?! I think really big are only two magazins(GameStar and PCGames)...

nfo
March 6, 2004, 3:44 am
I found out about Soldat from the Gamespotting article. Sounded just like the kind of game I like: simple, yet with deep gameplay.

So far I've tried my luck against the bots, and they've thoroughly kicked my ass, so I assume it would be bad to hop online just yet - looking forward to it though. What do you think of the Soldat community? Will a gamer with average skills have a hard time "breaking in" just for being a newbie?

Aquarius
March 6, 2004, 4:08 am
[:-jump2] Welcome to the forum! Soldat community is great!... usually.

T.J.FoRd
March 6, 2004, 4:24 am
Soldat was on G4 the game cable tv station like a year ago.

Element_101
March 6, 2004, 9:59 am
quote:Originally posted by Aquarius
[:-jump2] Welcome to the forum! Soldat community is great!... usually.

Lol yeah its a cool as community!

I heard soldat was on one of the cover disks of a australian game mag PCPP but it was a buggy version not sure which one through

Soap
March 6, 2004, 11:19 am
Yes I got an old version of Soldat on a magazine cd a while ago (in Australia).

nfo
March 6, 2004, 9:10 pm
Gotta say, it's pretty fun. The bots (at least on "normal") aren't that good, but it's still fun. Playing against other people isn't even the same game!

DeepII
March 7, 2004, 3:37 pm
quote:Originally posted by nfo
Gotta say, it's pretty fun. The bots (at least on "normal") aren't that good, but it's still fun. Playing against other people isn't even the same game!

playing against other people is really cool. Soldat is the only online game i can play with my old 56k modem...

Boogie_Freak
March 7, 2004, 7:40 pm
Soldat ROCKS... That is what I can say about that case! [;)]

Snipedmyself
March 8, 2004, 6:53 pm
If he played online people should shoot him and kill him in stupid ways. Like death by hand- ha ha. and got soldat from an old CD with need fer speed on it

Souza
March 8, 2004, 10:01 pm
i think someone portuguese showed up on Tv for something related to Games.. but not sure if it was related to Soldat..

Element_101
March 9, 2004, 12:59 pm
quote:Originally posted by Soap
Yes I got an old version of Soldat on a magazine cd a while ago (in Australia).

Yeah that would be PCPP hey dose any one here go to footscray city collage? In Austraila, Melb