( search forums )
How about a net?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Roy
February 24, 2004, 6:19 am
It would be like a fishing or game-catching net. Maybe as a secondary. Or perhaps, more fittingly, it could be a bonus like Flamer or Berserk, which replaces your secondary weapon (but doesn't disappear with a timer.)

You would be able to throw the net at your enemies. As an item, it would work like a knife; you can only carry one at a time, and after you throw it, it can be retrieved in a weapon slot. Its trajectory would be similar to that of the Spas; starts out small, but spreads the farther it travels. It wouldn't be able to be thrown very far though.

Alright, imagine some cool, physical Soldatish effect for a thrown net flying through the air. The purpose of this net would be to hamper your enemy's movement. If the net caught on him, it would wrap itself around him and catch him up. His running, jumping, and jetpack movement would be reduced. Perhaps his aim would also be fouled up a bit. Then you could whip out your primary and easily dispatch your slowed opponent.

The net would stay on the Soldat until he had moved around enough. The more he moves, the more it comes off, until it completely falls off and is perhaps ready to be thrown again. If he just stood still, the net would never come off, but why would he stand still? If the caught soldier had a knife or chainsaw on him, he could use it to quickly escape from the net, but cutting the net open would render it unusable.

I'm not sure how well this idea would work, but I think it has potential. Imagine you're playing CTF. The flag carrier has just captured your flag. You realize that you are ahead of his route and there is a net spawn nearby. Quickly you run to the net and grab it, just as the flag carrier is coming. When he is in range, you skillfully toss the net, and he is unable to dodge it. As he struggles to run past you, you take out your Deagles (or whatever) and make an easy kill. Or you could be playing DM, camping in the bushes, hidden, until someone comes by. Suddenly you leap from your spot and catch him in the net, then kill him quickly with a combat knife as he's slowed and confused.

So?

Shade
February 24, 2004, 6:37 am
So it would make the CTF far too easy for the one with the net. Plus, I don't know, I kinda like the idea, but I think everybody likes Soldat because it is what it is: Soldat. I believe it is just perfect the way it is now. I mean, how simple it is to play, and how fun. Sure, you could add 3d-likish graphics, lighting effects, nets, nukes, purple 37 eyed polka dotted blobs and the like, but it wouldn't be the soldat we all know (and love). If you want a game that is complex and hard to play because all of its features, then Soldat ain't your game. Just aim and shoot baby. And run. And hide. And grenade the [:-censored] behind you. And hide again. And snipe the mutha[:-censored]ah who blew your hat off. And fill with bullets from your smg the head of the @$$hole who just cursed your ancestors. (well perhaps it is a little more complex than I meant to explain, but heck, i like sarcasm).

P.D.: Why don't we make a Gladiator Mod for soldat?!?(just kidding, had to say something, ya know, gladiators, nets, spears, oh heck i better go to bed now).
See ya'

Captain RibMan
February 24, 2004, 8:01 am
why dont you just shoot him first instead of using a net