( search forums )
internet explorer problems
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
?
February 29, 2004, 7:42 pm
a few days ago my internet explorer just started taking 3 to 4 minutes to start up and the webpages take the same amount of time but i have dsl can anyone help me at all?

Dark_Noddy
February 29, 2004, 7:52 pm
IE Sux, Microsoft Sux ^^ Get Opera

But be warned.. If U start using it u'll HATE IE :)

palloco
February 29, 2004, 8:03 pm
Get either Opera or Mozilla Firefox http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Aquarius
February 29, 2004, 8:05 pm
Get Opera
http://www.opera.com/
[:D]

?
February 29, 2004, 8:14 pm
yeah my dad won't let me get anything new, we have to fix teh ie

b00stA
February 29, 2004, 8:23 pm
"No son, I won't let you use a safer and more effective browser. No."

Well, just scan for viruses and Spy/Adware.
AdAware
SpyBot - Search&Destroy
AntiVir

palloco
February 29, 2004, 8:40 pm
quote:Originally posted by ?
yeah my dad won't let me get anything new, we have to fix teh ie

ROFL. Tell your dad I am laughing at him if he still ays the same after you told him you try to install mozilla firefox(it is not really an installation since it does not modiffy anything in your system):P

Deleted User
February 29, 2004, 9:22 pm
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.

Do the browsers freeze if two pages are loading at once? Do they sometimes crash too?

Aquarius
February 29, 2004, 10:16 pm
LOL. Believe me, Internet Explorer is THE WORST browser.

JUST TRY Opera:

[URL]

Why Opera?

- It is small (installation file is only 3.5 MB, or 11 MB if you download it for the first time)
- it is FAST
- high security, MUCH higher than in IE.
- tabbed browsing
- a REAL zoom (not only larger-smaller text) from 20% to 1000%
- mouse gestures
- flexible pop-up blocker
- it is skinnable
- it is customizable (you may even add, rearrange and delete the buttons)
- it is stable [:D]
- better standards support (CSS etc)
- panels
- it has GREAT, FRIENDLY COMMUNITY [URL]
- and MUCH MORE things that Internet Explorer DO NOT HAVE.

Try it. You will love it.

Eventually you may try the Mozilla.

Hitman
February 29, 2004, 10:44 pm
Oh, me is gonna download it.

CardBoardWarrior
February 29, 2004, 11:56 pm
This happened to me a while ago when I left my comp idle for about 5-6 days, but the problem just went away after a while. I installed Netscape.

BMF
March 1, 2004, 4:49 am
i have had many problems with IE lately, gonna go check out Opera

Josh1l6
March 1, 2004, 4:50 am
quote:AntiVir

I've used all 3 free anti-virus programs, AVG, Anti-Vir, and Avast! and I can tell you Avast is the best. Anti-Vir's virus updates require reinstalling the entire program each time, I really do not recommend it. Avast! protects your mail, Outlook, P2P and instant messenging too.

Marbire
March 1, 2004, 5:45 am
www.myie2.com

^^^Thee best web browser.

FroG-BoY
March 1, 2004, 5:55 am
I've never had a real problem with IE, it renders pages better.

Aquarius
March 1, 2004, 9:36 am
quote:Originally posted by FroG-BoY
IE, it renders pages better.

Oslo, Norway - September 30, 2003

Opera Software today announced that it has reached a licensing agreement with Adobe Systems Incorporated to include Opera's rendering engine in future Adobe product releases, for the Macintosh and Windows operating systems.

Opera's cross-platform, (W3C) standards-compliant rendering engine with built-in Small-Screen Rendering (SSR) technology can save users the hassle of testing their Web pages for different browsers, devices or screen sizes.

"The discipline of graphic design is evolving, and traditional practitioners are asking for rich typographic capabilities within Web and mobile design. As a result, firms are moving their brand experience to pure CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) designed content," said George Arriola, senior product manager for Adobe GoLive. "Adobe realizes and embraces this crucial design requirement by partnering with and licensing leading technology from Opera Software ASA."

Of course, maybe Adobe is wrong, and you are right...

Also, IE is the most unsafe browser on Earth. At present IE has 24 unpatched SECURITY LEAKS. Microsoft knows about all of them, but very rarly releases patches for IE. Some of the security leaks were found months ago.

It is even possible to crash Internet Explorer with 1 line of HTML code: <input type crash>

FroG-BoY
March 1, 2004, 9:44 am
Well, I have had no problems with it...

And then theres SP2, and the trusty power button.

Dark_Noddy
March 1, 2004, 9:55 am
Opera also have so many gd hotkeys and mouse gestures :) U can surf for ages without getting tierd, oh joy..
Every time I'm at school I have to use IE, I get so gd pissed off !! How can surfing be so damn hard ! Working ur ass of with 1000 Windows and Popups and [:-censored] !! omg !! I HATE IE !!

b00stA
March 1, 2004, 1:27 pm
quote:Originally posted by Josh1l6
quote:AntiVir

I've used all 3 free anti-virus programs, AVG, Anti-Vir, and Avast! and I can tell you Avast is the best. Anti-Vir's virus updates require reinstalling the entire program each time, I really do not recommend it. Avast! protects your mail, Outlook, P2P and instant messenging too.

Thanks, I'm gonna try it, but the mail/outlook/P2P/IM checking is really useless imho. I don't open any attachments (except from people I know + I knew that he wanted to mail me that specific thing), I don't use buggy outlook (Eudora with a nice spam filter) and how the hell should I get infected via an instant messenger? I only use Miranda + mIRC..

quote:Originally posted by FroG-BoY
I've never had a real problem with IE, it renders pages better.

It renders *faster* imho, but the compatibility is something else..

First I used IE, then Opera for a time, fell back to IE after format c: and then I found Firebird (now Firefox), which is the best imho, but the problem is, it's too slow for my computer.
So right now I use MyIE2 :(
basically it's the IE engine with a really good interface on top of it. Tabbed browsing just like Firefox/Opera etc., even mouse gestures.

palloco
March 1, 2004, 3:28 pm
"then I found Firebird (now Firefox), which is the best imho, but the problem is, it's too slow for my computer."

You should completely uninstall your version and install it again. My 400 MHz opens faster Firefox and everything in this browser is faster.

b00stA
March 1, 2004, 4:52 pm
quote:Originally posted by palloco
"then I found Firebird (now Firefox), which is the best imho, but the problem is, it's too slow for my computer."

You should completely uninstall your version and install it again. My 400 MHz opens faster Firefox and everything in this browser is faster.

that's possible.. I haven't tried Firefox since Firebird 0.7 I think.
let's just hope they improved it..

Hitman
March 1, 2004, 5:13 pm
With Opera, when I try and log in to the forums it says 'You are being logged in' and then goes back to the Log in Page?!?

cup_of_squirrels
March 1, 2004, 6:27 pm
quote:Originally posted by b00stA
"No son, I won't let you use a safer and more effective browser. No."

lol

Well, another reason is your hard drive being clogged up. I used to have Half Life and Steam and stuff installed (taking up 6 GIGABYTES!! All that just to get lamed on Counter Strike and eaten by aliens on NS) So clear out your disk's usless stuff and your computer will be suprisingly faster! It worked for me!

b00stA
March 1, 2004, 6:46 pm
quote:Originally posted by Hitman
With Opera, when I try and log in to the forums it says 'You are being logged in' and then goes back to the Log in Page?!?

humm.. enable cookies?

Aquarius
March 1, 2004, 6:47 pm

Do this:

- go to "File" / "Preferences" / "History and Cache"
- set "check documents" to "always". I am sure it will help [:)]

(I have polish version, so english preferences names may be a bit different)

palloco
March 1, 2004, 7:47 pm
Boosta, I meant Firefox or Firebird are faster than Internet explorer. I had not really seen any diff between fox and bird

Cold Fusion
March 1, 2004, 10:17 pm
Firefox pwns you, yay.

Josh1l6
March 2, 2004, 4:05 am
Ok I just tried out all of them because I have to decide which to use for my new computer, and my conclusions:
IE: original contender is cumbersome, evil corporate spawn.
MyIE2: almost a clone of Avant Browser(could be the other way round), it's very fast, but I'm already attached to Avant.
Avant: extends IE capability, makes it not cumbersome, but has lesser mouse gesture functionality.
FireFox: it's good and fast, but renders some pages incorrectly.
Opera: lightning fast super browser, but rendered the tricked-out HTML on my xanga incorrectly, thus failed stress test.

Aquarius
March 2, 2004, 8:55 am
Actually, the Internet Explorer renders pages incorrectly, Mozilla renders correctly and Opera renders almost correctly - unfortunatelly it renders some things like Internet Explorer [:P]

Hitman
March 2, 2004, 8:50 pm
Thanks a lot Aquarius [:D]

?
March 2, 2004, 9:00 pm
ill try to talk my dad into it, he will only listen to my brother and some other guy about programs though, the only thing he listens to me is with games =(, turns out windows explorer, and everything like control panel are screwed to we don't know what the heck is goin on, my dad read somewhere that something is causing some people with xp thier computer slows down really slow, we don't know what to do, =/

Hitman
March 2, 2004, 9:15 pm
I've just been using Opera for the last hour and it rocks!

..*looks disapprovingly at the Internet Explorer shortcut on the desktop* MEH! *Right Clicks and selects delete*

Aquarius
March 2, 2004, 9:49 pm
Thanks a lot Aquarius [:D]

np [:)] I don't know everything about Opera, but feel free to ask me if you have some questions and maybe I will be able to answer [:D]

Hitman
March 2, 2004, 11:14 pm
One more question. What is the difference between the Rewind Button and the Back button? What does the Rewind Button do?

Aquarius
March 3, 2004, 12:31 am
Back is Back [:D]

Rewind hmm.... it brings back you to the last "major" step in the browsing history, and by "major step" I mean when you go to another server, another site. For me it is not very usefull, so I removed this button.

Hitman
March 3, 2004, 1:10 am
You can remove the button!? Sigh, I have so much to learn..

Hitman
March 3, 2004, 3:01 am
Ok, I got another Question. It says that I can Access/Read/Write my E-mails from a Account like Hotmail in Opera. Well I set up the account, the whole POP thing, and when I click on the Mail button it comes up with this error message:quote:Constantin__Cerdan@Hotmail.com
POP3 server unavailable. Network problems?Teh Fek?

Aquarius
March 3, 2004, 4:07 am
Sorry, if not wrong POP server name, I have no idea what else this could be... Maybe ask on Opera forums.

Hitman
March 3, 2004, 9:40 am
quote:Maybe ask on Opera forums.That's exactly what I did and it works now. You were right they are very friendly, they sorted the problem out in no time! [:D]

?
March 4, 2004, 12:35 am
eer, my ie wouldn't show if anyone else had posted so i just edited my last post, check it to see my recent problems, and btw i hate my computer...

?
March 6, 2004, 2:29 am
ok good news everyone, we found out it was just a huge load of spyware, we got rid of it i am pretty sure, but i am still having problems with the forums though, i keep getting the same topics for my active topics and i can seee no new replies until i make a post, if anyone knows how to fix this please pm me since i can't see the post you make =D