( search forums )
Radar
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Famine
March 2, 2004, 1:00 am
Liek 007 golden radar, can be turned on or off...liek it?

bucky_brad
March 2, 2004, 2:01 am
heh its a good idea but im not sure soldat needs it

Aegis
March 2, 2004, 2:07 am
Not having a radar adds to the fun of Soldat in my opinion, and stealth would be absolutely useless with it, CTF would be stupid, being able to see where flaggers are hiding or running, etc. This idea just doesnt work.

Josh1l6
March 2, 2004, 2:13 am
Soldat doesn't get crowded enough to need a proximity motion tracker. Besides we don't want to help out snipers who are starring down a scope. Being stabbed in the back should be one of the dangers of sniping. For all other purposes, radar just isn't useful enough.
EDIT: It's also completely unneccessary because radar is for first person shooter games, where the radar simulates peripheral vision or one's ability to hear and remember where people around you are. You can already see everyone in this 2D game.

BManx2000
March 2, 2004, 2:15 am
And on the flip side, camping in bushes would be pointless because people would just see you on their radar.

N1nj@
March 2, 2004, 3:15 am
you just see your own team on a radar, you don't see other team players.

Radar would be good, so you can see where your teammates died and be caution about incoming attacks and NMEs

it would help quite a lot for clan matches like making plans/stradegies, with the radar, we don't need to say in team chat "Incoming Enemies: HIGH!" anymore, clan mates will just have to see and study the radar where you teamate died and act according to it.

Chakra
March 2, 2004, 3:29 am
I like this idea.

Captain RibMan
March 2, 2004, 3:45 am
if you have a radar you could coordinate an attack by seeing where your team is

Josh1l6
March 2, 2004, 3:49 am
Soldat is 2D sideways view so it's sorta a big radar screen already. If the radar was to be used as suggested it would have to detect beyond the visible screen, which would be cheat and not make sense since how can you see that far, or are you Borg to be able to always know exactly where every teammate is? It's a nice idea but I don't see it being a sporting contribution to gameplay.

kkazican
March 2, 2004, 10:00 pm
I think the maps are too small to use radar. On the regular sized maps if you zoom with sniper scope you see about 1/3 of the whole map already.

N1nj@
March 2, 2004, 10:57 pm
remember, the radar only lets you see your own teammates, and is not cheating? when did knowing your teamamtes position consider cheating? =/

and hell no, I aint no Borg, but technology always helps us to look beyond what we can see, I remeber nowadayz they have something called GPS or something for the car, where you can see where you are going, what location you are on a map using the Satellite system up in space.

[Thanks kevith for tell me is GPS]

kevith
March 2, 2004, 11:22 pm
Yep... it's GPS, and it could be used in "real life" to track your teammates (as if we care about realism anyway).

N1nj@
March 2, 2004, 11:26 pm
Well, I am the kind of guy that likes realism a lot but not to the extend that everyone needs to be too real.

2k34o
March 3, 2004, 5:32 pm
in echange for radar you could have like, a kill message for teammates like, kruger got killed in ... section, this could be hard to implent tho

Michal
March 3, 2004, 7:01 pm
What if it would be a minimap showing the terrain and your position only. This would be exremly useful, especially in new levels.
It could have a grid on it so you could explain to teammates locations. Like you could say "enemy flag carrier in section E2". Or "defend D4".

Look at the pic for an example. Excuse the cheap rendition...
(E2 wouldn't actually be highlighted in the game, i'm just showing how the grid works)

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] Map example.JPG20.45 KB

Holden
March 3, 2004, 7:38 pm
The minimap idea is cool, but still, I have to go with a "no" on this idea. Maps aren't that huge, and I think it kind of adds to the charm not knowing where your teammates are (unless you're a good team, then you should already know where they are). But now that I think about it...it would actually be kind of cool. I don't really know which side I'm on. [:D]

I was also thinking of a Battle Royale-style option, which means that every minute or so, two of the zones that Michal speak of become "death"-zones, meaning anyone how goes into the zones spontaneously combust. Or something. But that's just a thought, nothing serious. =).

And also, we can take it here, I was thinking a Battle Royale (yeah, I watched the movie, so? [;)]) startup-mode, meaning that you are surprised with ONE weapon, as a primary, and then you have to use that weapon atleast for three spawns (user defined, though). Just, think of how cool it would be to play Survival like that...you don't know what you're gonna get...=D.

I hope everyone got what I was trying to say. =).

N1nj@
March 3, 2004, 9:03 pm
the sector for a radar because this is not a bird-eyes-view, for example, a bird-eyes-view game would be infantry where it shows you a little/mini map at the bottom with different sector...

but Soldat is plain 2D...so it doesn't need that sector stuff.

palloco
March 3, 2004, 9:11 pm
Another idea brought by BARRETARDS

Spectral
March 3, 2004, 10:30 pm
chakra seemed to like the idea, and i believe he coined the term barretards.

while i like this idea as a server option, i really don't think it's necessary.

N1nj@
March 3, 2004, 11:53 pm
many things are not necessary in the game Spectral. for example, the stationary guns, Soldat was fine without it before...

Sekushi
March 4, 2004, 3:49 am
And campers. Soldat was fine without them, too.

Unlucky 13
July 5, 2004, 3:09 am
this game would be 2 easy whit the addition ofradars, but i like the idea of a team message area sayer thingy, like on UT (sorry bout the wierd terminology ;))

Tahnok
July 6, 2004, 11:51 am
I think it's quite useless to a 2D shooter game like Soldat.

CbbLe
July 9, 2004, 3:20 pm
I want a radar that shows only teammates (ofcourse).
Would be very good to improve the teamplay during clanwars.

good idea imo.

zyxstand
July 10, 2004, 6:02 am
this is really stupid cuz radar is for topview/first person shooter games!

kevith
July 10, 2004, 10:30 pm
quote:Originally posted by zyxstand
this is really stupid cuz radar is for topview/first person shooter games!
I hope you're either kidding or sarcastic because for someone with so many "useful" ideas yourself, you seem a little close minded about ideas from other people. Now let's see if you can come up with a legitimate reason why this is such a bad idea.

Marine
July 10, 2004, 11:50 pm
I like it, but it does ruin the game for stealthies like me :'(

N1nj@
July 11, 2004, 12:04 am
quote:Originally posted by Marine
I like it, but it does ruin the game for stealthies like me :'(

how will that ruin the game? the radar will only allow you to see your own teammates, meaning your enemies(typo?) will not see you.

Take some time to read before replying. Also, you are not stealthy, you suck.