( search forums )
Where are the new players?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Chakra
March 8, 2004, 4:19 pm

Theres alot of new clans about today who've made a name for themselves.... NS, PC, c`n`s, etc..

Alot of these clans are just filled up with people who have been playing for near a year or more though, right?

It just seems lately that the most-active clans around are playing it safe with highly active and heard-of players. Whatever happened to talent spotting in public servers, where you'd see some no-name flaunting his stuff like a pro?

And who are these unknown clans in the sctfl? Sure most of them are probably just a bunch of guys who got together on msn, but there must be a few of them getting out there, whipping some clans' ass, owning public servers, and getting heard of... is there?

BMF
March 8, 2004, 5:26 pm
in PC we have a couple of "veteran" players and a couple of relatively new players. We are constantly looking for new talents on DM and CTF servers. I give out my contacts to people that can possibly qualify to be in our clan.

So if you see me in a DM server, do you best, and you might end up in our clan =)

New clans constantly appear. Usually there is a core of 2 or 3 so called veterans, and they build a following of new players. Thats how it worked in my experience.

Hova
March 8, 2004, 5:45 pm
quote:Originally posted by BMF
in PC we have a couple of "veteran" players and a couple of relatively new players. We are constantly looking for new talents on DM and CTF servers. I give out my contacts to people that can possibly qualify to be in our clan.

So if you see me in a DM server, do you best, and you might end up in our clan =)

New clans constantly appear. Usually there is a core of 2 or 3 so called veterans, and they build a following of new players. Thats how it worked in my experience.

That is how our clan is operating. Since its still a bit new, we have to prepare ourselves before we are ready to kill and be killed in public :)

Weed
March 8, 2004, 9:44 pm
new -Unknown- players pop in some clans here and there... some of them start in new clans (like i did), and some join better clans, but the thing is that is hard to find qualified new players, many might have skills, but only 1% of all of them has a good attitude and a cool personality...
before sG died, we accepted a very new guy in the clan, he was really good when i tryed him out, even tho he played for 3-4 days, but his attitude was great, and thats enough...
btw, is this off-topic? i cant think right today...

Spectral
March 8, 2004, 9:52 pm
while recruiting for SE, good fresh players were hard to come by. if i found someone good in a public server, i would ask for their msn, but if i dont see them online, ill forget about them. finding someone who is talented and active who is not well known was a challenge.

Dathker
March 9, 2004, 1:49 am
CHAK! kkazican's and I's clan is of mostly new players, that aren't too bad except for one...not metioning any names....

peemonkey
March 9, 2004, 2:00 am
I've probably got the most people in my clan that dont know theyre in my clan!! whoever gets a (1) next to there name is in my clan, whether they know it or not. So if youve ever been to a laggy server and had that magic number near your name, Thanks for joining!!

Captain_Jimbo
March 9, 2004, 2:26 am

I don't see a lot of people in Soldat that I do in the forums, with the exception of a select few. I do see less and less talent spotting, though. Too much "quiet"-ness in servers when I play; kinda eerie.

Cookie.
March 9, 2004, 4:40 am
My clan Samurai pizza cats has 2 players :) one is me teh vet :P lol
and another guy shyo i met in a game we still looking for fresh talent :P shyo is really good and id take him over a vet that might retire or something :P

SiB Danne
March 9, 2004, 11:50 am
Its hard to spot talent when admins kick you because the "talent" killed them too much. Too many young players around yelling "camper" even though you only sat behind a tree for 4 seconds since you knew they were coming (thats talanted strategy, not camping) or the wannabe vets that always yells noob to each and everyone. Its hard to spot talents, well only on the point screen they can laugh on all the others lol... *proud*

Element_101
March 9, 2004, 12:39 pm
I dont play on lone much and have only ever seen one person from the forums on a server that was arch.. something sorry if you read this but I just cant remember your name.

I dont play online much becasue my connection is kind of like a snail on drugs it dont go very fast 33.2kbs to be exact and were mean to have 56k

ADSL has come down and my dad seems to be considering getting it then Ill come on and kick all ya arses!

cup_of_squirrels
March 9, 2004, 1:53 pm
Dude, there are loads more players than ya think, and jyst because they dont hang around the forum, doesnt mean they havnt played for ages!

?
March 9, 2004, 3:18 pm
GI we just recruit who we think is good, no tryouts or anything

Tha Doggfather
March 9, 2004, 3:49 pm
in a game as small as soldat, there arent many true vets/good players. (nearly) all of those play in clans. ive been thinking about starting a clan again, but i didnt do it when i realised that there arent any good players anymore that dont play in a clan (or the ones that are good wont be active in my clan, thats why people prefer people they know)

cup_of_squirrels
March 9, 2004, 5:21 pm
Yeah i agree with dogg. The only real way to make your clan well known is teh get someone big into your clan (or get one of your members to be well known....or just be well known yourself etc etc)

SiB Danne
March 9, 2004, 5:44 pm
since I was in Soldiers in Black clan (year ago or something) clan I've been a loner. Clans aren't really worth it anymore. Much more fun being a loner hehe

Hercule Poirot
March 9, 2004, 6:06 pm
quote:Originally posted by Tha Doggfather
in a game as small as soldat, there arent many true vets/good players. (nearly) all of those play in clans. ive been thinking about starting a clan again, but i didnt do it when i realised that there arent any good players anymore that dont play in a clan (or the ones that are good wont be active in my clan, thats why people prefer people they know)

theres lot of active players in c'n's we have like always 5 ppl ready to play (http://cns.digital-eden.net/) if you look site you see many veteran players but thats also true that theres not many vet player that is playing without clan (except you) and if there is they dont wanna join on any clan (again you) :P

Dathker
March 9, 2004, 11:51 pm
yeah i like people that i know in my clan..but even as i know them...they ALL WAY HAVE [:-censored]ING HW!<-----damn school!

Captain_Jimbo
March 10, 2004, 4:20 am

Aside from when I had to endure dial-up speed for gaming, I've always hesitated joining/creating a clan because I was hazy on the reliability of them. Though I do think things are moving in the right direction to establish cans as Soldat gets more and more people coming and Michael keeps touching-up this beauty.

societies_punishment
March 10, 2004, 4:34 am
quote:Originally posted by Chakra

Alot of these clans are just filled up with people who have been playing for near a year or more though, right?

It just seems lately that the most-active clans around are playing it safe with highly active and heard-of players. Whatever happened to talent spotting in public servers, where you'd see some no-name flaunting his stuff like a pro?

hmmm you prove a good point man .... i need to get players but the experienced ones are in short supply .... so i guess i will have to find and train them....

i need to get my work time balanced too i work 3 week rotated shift work which is gay assed but i need to get coleaders for my 3 timezones around the world hmmm perhaps ill get the coleader in north america first and then progress to the aussies or japs then the english

needless to say im not haveing good luck

for those of you that dont know i run Tsp2| (Team Societies Punishment : The Second Coming)

DT
March 10, 2004, 1:43 pm
i got in a clan by owning the leader but.... they kicked me out cuz of my 56k[:-weepn] I prefer it though cuz i'm a loner[;)]

Uzzi
March 10, 2004, 2:22 pm
Ah, the game isn't what it use to be..

I still remember when playing soldat for the first time, just a few mutters of people moaning, but not the amount you see nowadays, it's very hard to find a good public server nowadays, the lag sorts of seperates the european/american/asian areas, and im sure there are loads of good players in those areas.

Anyone remember the ZT Hell server which served upto about 20 players I think (about a year ago), man those were the good old days =)

cup_of_squirrels
March 10, 2004, 4:34 pm
No I cant remember the ZT hell but I know what you mean about the good ol days :) I was Horny Hippo at that point :D

kevith
March 10, 2004, 10:00 pm
[nostalgia]I remember those ZT Hell days... that server was pretty insane all of the time. I liked it when I was just starting out bc I could blend in and nobody would notice how bad I sucked. I also remember when Himitsukishi was about the only 12-man server with consistent lag that you could plan for. Now all these US servers are great.[/nostalgia]

Element_101
March 11, 2004, 10:46 am
It would be good if the lag could be totally reduced to like nothing then youd be able to play in clans etc.. fairly :D

DT
March 11, 2004, 2:10 pm
Lag is always a problem... soeone should get alot of money and buy like 1000 T3s and hook them up to the internet so the internet goes like 1000 times faster... and 56k would go at the speed of dsl and cable would be like T1 and dsl would go like 2 T1s and a T1 would go like 5 T1s......... Shut up can always dream....

palloco
March 11, 2004, 2:33 pm
ROFL

Uzzi
March 11, 2004, 7:37 pm
Hopefully Michal can improve the netcode so that the barriers between continents can be demolished, hopefully then we can have a greater community =)

..That may take a while though =|

Sekushi
March 11, 2004, 10:09 pm
That's the most retarted idea I've ever heard. Ever. Thank God DT isn't an engineer.

n/a
March 12, 2004, 9:07 pm
I'm still trying to get this ZTHell-server back up again by frequently asking on their forums. But... with (still) no result.

Oh well, unfortunately there is no way to bring the people who played on ZTHell before back...

Swad
March 12, 2004, 10:59 pm
To answer the topic--here is a new player (registered and all). :D

To ask my own question, though--where are all the USA server? I see at best maybe 4-5 that ping under 100 for me (3000 / 256 cable connection here), and not very populated. I am hoping that there are some more 'closed' access USA servers out there that exist. Does anyone know?

Spectral
March 13, 2004, 1:49 am
n00bface's server is good, if on. PC used to hav good public usa server, but no more. i really do not play on usa servers much unless for clan match. i most often play on dnagames where i ping 100-200

Element_101
March 14, 2004, 10:35 am
Lag in soldat is a problem that can be reduced, maybe if some things are done it would be cool if it could be reduced enough