Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Server Help
sTo0z
March 11, 2004, 2:08 am
I have a dedicated server running on a Win2k machine with specs:
1.4 GHz
490 RAM
Cable internet

There are no other programs running on this comp either. Here are the problems:

Whenever a new map loads, everyone joins at first but then lag takes everyone over and gets dropped, and has to reconnect. This happens on EVERY map change.

Things are also generally laggy. I would think Cable internet and the dedicated machine would be able to handle the 4 people I've been playing with.

Any ideas what's going on?

sTo0z
March 11, 2004, 2:13 am
Errr sorry, forgot to mention...

All players occasionally get a red error message during gameplay in the top right, something about *bad packet somethng something*

Gurney Halleck
March 11, 2004, 2:15 am
There are a few speeds of cable and not all guarantee you a defined speed. I have cable ntl too (600) you?
if a laggy person joins, then everyone gets a high ping and is kicked. I guess cos it's not a very high speed and it is variable.

My spec is 2,6GHz amd and 500MB DDR on xp. I can comortably have 12 peeps on my server but if 1 is slow, then it's very bad.

Hope this helps

sTo0z
March 11, 2004, 2:19 am
Yah I guess it helps.. too bad one laggy guy can take down everyone. :
Figured I could pull off at least 4 people though.. and all of them are on broadband connections.

On my router (where the server is behind) I only opened up the server port, is this correct? Does this matter? Everyone can connect fine, and the game runs generally ok (little laggier than I would like, but not bad) but every map change everyone lags to hell and drops and has to reconnect.

Gurney Halleck
March 11, 2004, 3:29 am
i dont reallt know about the lag at map change, i opened up the udp port too. it helps for ppl with routers

ramirez
March 11, 2004, 10:18 am
quote:Originally posted by sTo0z
Yah I guess it helps.. too bad one laggy guy can take down everyone. :
Figured I could pull off at least 4 people though.. and all of them are on broadband connections.

On my router (where the server is behind) I only opened up the server port, is this correct? Does this matter? Everyone can connect fine, and the game runs generally ok (little laggier than I would like, but not bad) but every map change everyone lags to hell and drops and has to reconnect.

That used to happen to me too, when I hosted Soldat server with many people playing on my own comp (3.00 GHz, 2mbit downstream, 200kb upstream only).
As soon as I bought a server, with faster upstream the problem disappeared, so I guess that the server tries to send too much data on map init to the clients or something, or then not.
The bad packet thing happens to me all the time (and for all players on the server), I don't have any ports blocked either, so I just guess that it's a bug and will be fixed later.

Gurney Halleck
March 11, 2004, 10:56 am
I never had the packet problem,, no I had it once but I don't sit & watch the server much!!
I find that even with 12 peeps on mine it's good until 1 person joins and everyone gets 2000+ pings.
I can even surf thenet and I think my 3 house mates were using the net at the same time. it's really wierd how it goes superslow sometimes... oh well, hope you get it sorted. Only thing I can think of is make sure you have the latest dedicated server and the ping limiter isn't too low ( i have mine on 800, defualt = 1000 I think)

sTo0z
March 12, 2004, 12:53 am
The bad packet thing happens on a client screen, not the server console. :)

Guess I'll have to live with it for now, not a huge problem, just more annoying than anything, but the game is still playable.

And yah I am running the latest dedicated server. Oh well. :)

DNA.styx
March 12, 2004, 8:45 am
The bad packet messages are non-critical, everyone who plays on DNAGames gets them, Michal's just told us to ignore them.

SuLieN
June 13, 2004, 9:23 pm
What if the problem described in the first post occurs (in a similar way) on a LAN?

I posted a question here, but nobody answered yet. I'd really appreciate some tip of what might be going on... [URL]