( search forums )
My 1.2 bug report
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
Biggoggs
March 12, 2004, 10:55 am
Hi all,
I'm new to Soldat- Just got into it this week. I've always thought when playing games like UT/Tribes/etc, 'wouldn't it be cool if this was 2D and stuff', until out of sheer boredom I went through Google's games directory and stumbled across Soldat...

Anyway, heres my 'bug report' of sorts;

* When there are 2 players left in a 'Survival' game, if one of them is kicked, Soldat doesn't recognise it, and the game is stuck with one person playing when Soldat says there are two
* When flying through the air and you hit the ground using jetpack, your player stops. This is only a 'quibble' I guess, but for ex-skiing Tribes players the effect is noticable
* AI problems.
Firstly, sometimes when in close range, their shooting could be called nothing short of 'spastic'. All over the place in a 180' direction of the enemy.
Secondly, I havn't been playing for that long, but already it's become apparent that the AI get 'stuck' on levels constantly. After wondering why it seemed I was doing all the work, I return to the flag/objective to find at least 5 or 6 AI in the same place 'jittering', usually with another doing the same not too far away.
Thirdly, inconsistancies. One minute the AI can't seem to shoot for anything, the next time an AI with a Barrett turns around mid-air, hits you dead on, and turns around again, all in a split second. Not sure `bout that one

Recommendations;
* In the FastTracker module 'Bloody Soil' about halfway through it, 0:35 & 0:45, has a really good part where theres a (slower) heavy-hitting beat, and a guitar playing higher notes. This part rocks- Why not make it go for longer? :)
* The level of player customisation is pretty good (although at the low resolution isn't always noticable)- You should definately extend this a bit. For instance, sunglasses, bead necklace, facial hair (maaaaybe), a couple more hair styles & hats (ponytail, monk ponytail, rat tail, standard 'spikes at the front', backwards cap, cowboy hat, just to name a few). The graphics aren't that big for them, so theres no real issue of bloat.
* Other modes like king-of-the-hill
* A distant goal- vehicles? (warthog-like vehicle, copter, etc)

Soldat is an excellent game- Keep up the really good work :D

Cheers for now