( search forums )
Soldat in the future
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
NotrusT
March 17, 2004, 11:47 pm
I dunno if this was posted , but , bah , thoughts change.
So where do you see soldat in like 5 years , what perspectives will it have ? will it be the next BIG thing , or will it be forgoten by all ? Will it grow to professioanl gaming and will have tournaments like with huge money prizes ? Your thoughts here

?
March 17, 2004, 11:57 pm
I see... a really fun game to play and kill people on... all else is too foggy to see.......

peemonkey
March 18, 2004, 2:05 am
it's bigger than counterstrike, donkykong, america, and authentic air.

starmonkey
March 18, 2004, 2:13 am
I see Michal Marcinkowski being a rich man.

DrocK
March 18, 2004, 2:35 am
More popular and more noobs [IMAGE] and more barrets [B)]
:P

n00bface
March 18, 2004, 3:31 am
I see hitman... being a retired moderator... hmmm.. I see... Michal married with 3 children... they all play soldat... I call them n00bs... I get banned from forums... GAH

Captain RibMan
March 18, 2004, 4:30 am
magic 8 ball says...."without a doubt" THATS THE LIST TIME I LISTEN TO YOU
[IMAGE]

Trashykins
March 18, 2004, 9:09 am
I see perhaps some more maps, some engine and AI enhancements, maybe a few new weapons, and perhaps more community-oriented features (buddy lists?). Maybe a better menu system too.

My ideas may seems somewhat underestimating, but if it ain't broke...

FroG-BoY
March 18, 2004, 10:19 am
I see Soldat obsolete in 5 years time.

Trashykins
March 18, 2004, 10:37 am
Well, yeah.

Hitman
March 18, 2004, 2:42 pm
quote:I see hitman... being a retired moderatorWhen I first read that I thought it said retarded moderator..

cup_of_squirrels
March 18, 2004, 4:30 pm
XD retarted moderator.....M then ;)

But yeah Soldat will become obsolete...Michal will get a real job and at some point, so we all wil as well until we forget this fantastic game and we waiting for the realease of Half Life 3...The futures dark, the future looks crap.

DrocK
March 18, 2004, 7:39 pm
no doubt that soldat will get much more popular, and maybe the best 2d game ever. "i know it is now [:P]" but i will be much more popular because i remember since 1.0.5 soldat popularity has chenged BIG[8D]
well all i can say is.. keep it cumin[;)] soldat will never die

AerialAssault
March 18, 2004, 9:06 pm
quote:Originally posted by DrocK
keep it cumin[;)] rephrase that please

n00bface
March 18, 2004, 9:27 pm
keep it coming.

Captain RibMan
March 18, 2004, 10:59 pm
does he have a real job now? flippin' burgurs

Amon26
March 18, 2004, 11:37 pm
I think it could go two ways. One it could get picked up and michal's place bought out by some game company, riddled with ads, 3d effects and shaders, moddable, and polished to the point that all need for imagination is lost...

or it could stay hovering right beneath the radar. possibly abandoned by Michal but maintained by the fans. Looking about the same with a few more guns and (maybe) scalable resolution. And still greatly loved and heavily played. (Look at Subspace/Continuum)

palloco
March 19, 2004, 8:24 am
It will become pay to play. Just like every succesfull multiplayer freeware.

Element_101
March 19, 2004, 9:04 am
^Yeah I agree with this^

The only way soldat will grow is if a company takes interest in michal and gives him funding then the game will hopefully become much better even through it already rocks!

cup_of_squirrels
March 19, 2004, 1:31 pm
Soldat will become a forgotten gem, played only by newbies who have only just heard about it. We will go on to better things, with our fancy new Playstation 3s and Windows XP2 or somit. Its a sickening and disturbing thought, but it will happen, we will give Soldat up after a while 0_o

palloco
March 19, 2004, 3:22 pm
"with our fancy new Playstation 3s and Windows XP2"
ROFL

cup_of_squirrels
March 19, 2004, 4:10 pm
its true....Sony is already working on PS3 and Windows is working on a brand new operating system desinged for games. Probably not called XP2 but I can keep wondering :D

Deleted User
March 19, 2004, 4:27 pm
Windows XGGPSSE PV. Windows XtraGayGamePlatformSystemSecondEdition ProfessionalVersion. :P

palloco
March 19, 2004, 4:28 pm
No,it is not. Sony is working on PsX and mocosoft on xp sp2, xp 64 bitand longhorn. And the more false fact is that they will change our habits with soldat. psX not, but maybe xp if the sp2 is incompatible with soldat

DsC
April 17, 2004, 12:51 am
somebody can Port the Soldat to Ps2??, i see people porting MS-DOS games. but not Windows

BlackSpear
April 17, 2004, 6:33 pm
well it could be ported if you had the source code.....
but since the sourcecode of soldat isn't going to be releast, its almost impossible to port
so michal fist has to release it (or give it to someone) or has to do it hisself, otherwise, no soldat for ANY console....

AerialAssault
April 17, 2004, 6:55 pm
gone but not forgotten...

but we'll all be back...

we always come back...

Deleted User
April 18, 2004, 12:38 am
I know how the new Windows XP will be called, Windows XP Reloaded (im not joking)

In 5 years i see Soldat II with alot of new features, weapons, game modes, improved gfx, but please no! not a new engine please[:-weepn]! and single player campaigns

Edit: Soldat II as in 2.X.X

kevith
April 18, 2004, 1:04 am
The most recent rumors are that Microsoft has scrapped plans to release XP Reloaded but just the Service Pack 2 in June and Longhorn in 2006.

Hitman
April 18, 2004, 1:48 am
Wtf is Longhorn?

kevith
April 18, 2004, 2:43 am
Longhorn is Microsoft's "code name" for the next release of Windows.

edit: and Windows Reloaded was just going to be more of like an "upgrade" to Win XP (like ME was for 98), not the full-blown next generation Windows OS.

Aquarius
April 18, 2004, 8:23 am
In 5 years I see final Soldat... better graphics, better network code, no bugs, more default maps, more solutions for players with poor connection: better bots' AI, single player missions, single player missions editor

Soldat will be more customisable, more features, more options, more game modes, realistic will be more realistic

Also I see improved map format, more possibilities for map makers, better tools - mapmaker, interface maker, mod maker, fully modable, lots of mods, more lobby servers, better lobby code - everyone will be able to host their own lobby server etc etc...

And of course much bigger community and more money for Michal.

BlackSpear
April 18, 2004, 11:52 am
or the development of soldat stoped in 5 years....

Gaso
April 18, 2004, 6:20 pm
About that windows longhorn, it has already leaked and thanks to that we gonna get lots of new viruses to our brand new windows !

I would hope that there would be linux version of soldat in some day and offcourse that there would be all kinds of new stuff etc. And there is already pretty much of those fan sites etc. leagues are running in ESL and that sctfl league and other tournaments offcourse, I think that there gonna be lots of more and I would hope that more ppl would play on ESL ladders to get some action .

palloco
April 18, 2004, 6:39 pm
This one instead of becoming a barret thread became a say 'what do you want of soldat' thread

wert21
April 18, 2004, 6:58 pm
In 2009 lots of vets will be retired, i'll be the greatest player, bush, blair and berlusconi will have nothing to do and weed will be legalized. (mmm...i hope this is the truth).

Subslider
April 18, 2004, 9:01 pm
Soldat in future?.. man maybe i dont even wanna see that..

just for instance look at the community.. when i started to play the community was great and most of the players had some sort of respect to each other...cant say im seeing that now.. just look at the barret thingy cmon cant ppl just drop that and deal with that?..

Or maybe that soldat is going the upper way and mikey desides to not be alone on the coding but to work with a team.. cvouls ya imagin that..

either way.. hope it is gonna last a long time and things are gonna improve..=)

Sub

Josh1l6
April 19, 2004, 8:13 pm
In the future, I'm speaking as realistically as I can, Michal will reach a final point in Soldat development. At that point he'll tell everyone and the only point to nagging for new features will be to complain. Bugs galore will be fixed, graphics will be improved but in the same engine (in some magical ways I cannot imagine), practically everything will be made moddable, new game modes, the source will never be released. New weapons? Probably in subtle ways like new powerups or functionality in old weapons. People will never stop hating the unmodded barret.

Soldat will never die, but like Liero, it'll live in everyone's imaginations and be played occasionally, perhaps to show Quake V'ers that "flat" games are good too. Of course Quake V'ers will scoff and say, "You can't do this...it doesn't have that feature...it looks crappy" because gamers will have forgotten what simplicity is. Anyone think Pong is a good game? New generation people won't play it, the Soldat forum will get bored and fade unless it adopts another topic to discuss...I think the Soldat lobby should be decentralized like Kazaa or else when the lobby server goes down eventually, we can only play on LAN or direct IP. Anyway, Soldat will be copied alot in mods. It will be missing from "N greatest games of all time" lists because not that many people know about and like it.

This is only the most likely path...I'm just generalizing.

Deleted User
April 19, 2004, 9:03 pm
Since alot of peoples likes Soldat and tell their friends about it, I think it will never die.

Moser
April 20, 2004, 3:22 am
I see the game get sponsored, then get 3d, then everybody will be playing it and every other game will become obsolete, then......

Element_101
April 20, 2004, 3:38 am
^No^

This must never happen if another company takes it they will make it [:-censored] its that easy, if a company has control of a game to community is forgoten or ingored. If this happens to soldat it will truely be the end..

Deleted User
April 20, 2004, 4:17 am
Tsk tsk tsk! Soldat was meant to be a 2D game and will always stay a 2D game!

Soldat official description:

"Soldat is a unique side-view multiplayer action game. It takes the best from games like Liero, Worms, Quake and Counter-Strike and gives you fast action gameplay with tons of blood and flesh. Soldiers fight against each other on 2D battle arenas using a deadly military arsenal. This is what multiplayer was invented for."

Element_101
April 20, 2004, 5:32 am
Ive always wondered how it takes anything from CS other than a couple of guns..

BlackSpear
April 20, 2004, 6:59 pm
its a blend between liero and CS, don't know what it has from worms (something witch hasn't been included in liero) and quake.
so its liero with a mayhem cs style mixed into it

Deleted User
April 20, 2004, 9:21 pm
they took things from CS for some guns (deagles-aug-ak-minimi), realism mode and survival mode, when these are disabled, its quake style... really..

oh btw.. maybe the barret is based on the AWP from CS?

DT
April 22, 2004, 1:52 pm
I see the future and it tells me that soldat is.. is dead?... let me try again............. ...............................................
hmmm mabye my powers are broken....[?]

BlackSpear
April 22, 2004, 11:01 pm
soldat WILL become dead in the future, michal isn't gonna work on it till he's 80 or something, and the project isn't going to be taken over for ever, so its not the question if its going to die, but when...
hope that won't happen for the next 10 years hehe

Deleted User
April 25, 2004, 2:02 am
or Michal's kids will resume what he started

BlackSpear
April 25, 2004, 2:10 pm
quote:Originally posted by DuKeMaN707
or Michal's kids will resume what he started

lol, would like to see that happen, then I would say LOL!

Ta-2
April 25, 2004, 2:31 pm
Soldat will be buried quietly
or someone comes up with a mod that is even better than Soldat (hopefully)

DrocK
April 26, 2004, 9:53 am
i think newbbies have been joining everyday i just dont want to see it on the future now...
soldat 2.X.X invaded by n00bies? or n00b invasion?

April 26, 2004, 11:08 am
Well done, you can forsee the present.

BlackSpear
April 26, 2004, 2:28 pm
noobs usualy get better over time, so what a noob is now is a decent match in the future (or he's still a noob with lots of braindammage, seems that way sometimes...)

Mooscu
April 27, 2004, 4:47 pm
I think that then there is no "#%%&¤&¤! waypoints.
Hmmm.... Hopely there is 5 more guns!!!!

I want more weapons! I feel that Soldat weapons now are little boring. MORE VARIATION!! PLEASE

Melba
April 27, 2004, 5:08 pm
quote:Originally posted by DrocK
i think newbbies have been joining everyday i just dont want to see it on the future now...
soldat 2.X.X invaded by n00bies? or n00b invasion?

if no nOObs joined the community, no one would play soldat in the future. cus when u vets get older, and prolly get a life, a job, perhaps a wife, who knows! then u wont have the time to play, and u'll have gotten tired of playing. soooooooooooooo...
Us nOObs keeps soldat popular, and so Soldat will live longer...

DT
May 21, 2004, 2:05 pm
(A couple months later...)
We are in the future NOW!

swanofnever
May 21, 2004, 5:15 pm
hey,
i'm hoping that at some point, michal will consider soldat "finished' and then make another kick-ass game. cause i'm sure he's learnt a LOT from making soldat, so that the next game will be better.. and then the game after that even better... etc.

raigan

ssjjackass
May 22, 2004, 1:44 pm
quote:Originally posted by palloco
It will become pay to play. Just like every succesfull multiplayer freeware.

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!! DONT SAY THAT!!!!! [:-weepn] !!! i loved graal!!!!!! i dont know if anyone has played it . BUT. i loved it and then it became pay to play! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nO!!!!!!! it was so cooL!

palloco
May 22, 2004, 2:49 pm
I knew Graal, I tried a lot of freeware rpg time ago but they all suck :P.

Drama
May 22, 2004, 3:13 pm
nothing beats soldat (looking forward for bomb defuse mode [with only survival mode]) muahah flame me

DT
May 27, 2004, 6:41 pm
(2 Months later er... watever)
i see hacks and one shot weapons everywhere! So.. Much... CHAOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
and then a hero is born....

grand_diablo
May 28, 2004, 1:22 am
Well, my idea of Soldat in bout 5 years...

If the game doesnt die on to unbalanced weapons (aka the barret problem) or on cheaters ruining the fun (a problem recentyl coming up again), i see some graphical improvements, aswell as maybe new game modes, less bugs and so on.

But more important would be improvements in league organisation, for example non-barret leagues in ESL, SCTFL or at least more barret restrictions, if this weapon wont get nerfed.

Besides that, i see an even bigger community of mostly intelligent and friendly people, and Hitman having a looong white beard and a tobacco pipe, but still moderating this forum [:P]

zephyr
May 28, 2004, 1:54 am
I don't think Soldat will be dead in 5 years.Just take NetStorm for comparison.Done in 1995, Now an abandonware, NetStorm as now a big community that still play it. They rallied all other communities into 1, made the full game downloadable and opened a server for all to play. I believe Soldat will probably end the same way.A lot of peoples still enjoy it.

BlackSpear
May 29, 2004, 1:06 pm
but netstorm was 100% commercial, commercial software usualy dies WAY earlier then freeware (and soldat is still somewhat freeware) OR WAY sooner (becose people get borred), becose for a commercial company it costs money to delelop, for michal it's just a hobby witch also brings him some money

Keinonen
May 29, 2004, 4:34 pm
quote:Originally posted by NotrusT
I dunno if this was posted , but , bah , thoughts change.
So where do you see soldat in like 5 years , what perspectives will it have ? will it be the next BIG thing , or will it be forgoten by all ? Will it grow to professioanl gaming and will have tournaments like with huge money prizes ? Your thoughts here

I bet if Michael would make soldat 3d, yeh... money prizes could be possible.

Aquarius
May 29, 2004, 4:55 pm
"Soldat 3D"??? It wouldn't be "Soldat" any more [:(]

SERIAL KILLeR
May 29, 2004, 6:11 pm
Then it would be just an other first firson shooter.
And i dont think u michal has the time to make a 3D first person shooter all alone.

zephyr
May 29, 2004, 6:19 pm
I Soldat was rendered in full 3d as a 1rst or 3rd person shooter, it would loose all of it's magic.It would become a Cs/Quake/Starsiege Tribes wannabe.

BlackSpear
May 30, 2004, 4:37 pm
soldat is cool and unique becouse it's the same princible as a 3d FPS but is 2d, if it became 3d it would never be better then the commercial games witch have put millions into the development of the game...

DeMonIc
May 31, 2004, 5:43 pm
Behold my -fake- magical powers, and mark my words, for i see
-soldat being sent out to space. reason: show aliens life on earth.
-soldat is being marked "saint" by the guy in d vatican (dunno english name, pope maybe)
-soldat is part of the world treasury (like Mt.Rushmore, n stuff like that)

But seriously
-soldat will be played by a heck a lot of players
-soldat is gonna be at least 8 times bigger then now, in every way u can imagine.

Droopy
May 31, 2004, 7:33 pm
I will support soldat as long as it lives!!!!

If the game becomes 3D and payable(if you read playable read again) then I won't call it soldat anymore... I would proboably send Michal a mail with all bad writen in it! Now Mich if your reading this, it's just a friendly warning...(that will keep soldat online for at least 2 years)

Oh yeah! The same thing if Soldat is bought by some big computer company! Just another friendly warning...

Syffer Bidan
May 31, 2004, 9:39 pm
I could see Soldat becoming a very large game, much like Counter Strike- even on the professional level. I could see a myriad of weapons and a few vehicles in Soldat's future.