( search forums )
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Dragon88
March 20, 2004, 11:26 pm
Has anyone read this? Boosta has a quote of it in his siggy. What did everyone think?

Electro_cyc
March 21, 2004, 1:12 am
Haven't read it. The people I see reading it at my school are goths so I tend to stay away from it. But I might read it later, when I have the time.

BMF
March 21, 2004, 2:29 am
they say its an awesome book. b00sta hook us up with a link

Hitman
March 21, 2004, 3:12 am
Meh, that's all I could find. I haven't read it either..

b00stA
March 21, 2004, 11:45 am
quote:Originally posted by Dragon88
Boosta has a quote of it in his siggy.

hah, I just read the title and thought about pointing at my sig :)

quote:Originally posted by Electro_cyc
Haven't read it. The people I see reading it at my school are goths so I tend to stay away from it. But I might read it later, when I have the time.

[IMAGE]
I don't really see why goths would read this..

Anyway, the series (5 books) was written by Douglas Adams and it's about Arthur Dent who lives on our earth. Since it will be destroyed in about 5 minutes, his friend Ford "hitchhikes" with him through the galaxy. Err, I can't really summarize it.. the series seems a lot like science fiction, but no, you don't have to like Startrek or whatever (I hate it).

it's just a lot of.. weird/special humor, can't put it right. You just look at things from another point of view.

From the beginning:
"Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea."

"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."

"If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, he thought, their mouths probably seize up. After a few months' consideration and observation he abandoned this theory in favor of a new one. If they don't keep exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working."

"For thousands more years, the mighty ships tore across the empty wastes of space and finally dived screaming onto the first planet they came across -- which happened to be the Earth -- where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog."

there has been a film version of the books, a radio series and they're planning on filming a new version of it (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371724/)

you can download the books from a file sharing network of your choice :)
if you like them, buy them!

Electro_cyc
March 21, 2004, 6:53 pm
I get your point but why did you have to put that monstrosity in your post? Damn that's ugly. *Shudders*

Sekushi
March 21, 2004, 8:32 pm
Hitchhiker's Guide is hillarious! Read it!

Holden
March 22, 2004, 9:45 am
I like the first two books the most, it's really, really funny. People should read it. Also, people should read more Coupland. Mmm.

[:D]

eesahe
March 22, 2004, 10:23 am
I think that the second one is the best. Read em. They're great.

Dragon88
March 22, 2004, 11:01 pm
Has anyone here succeeded in flying using the method described in the book? It's very simple, all it takes is the ability to throw yourself at the ground and miss. This is best achieved by being greatly distracted suddenly on the way down. You throw yourself down, get very distracted halfway down, and you are so distracted you forget to crash, so you are flying.

DeafBox
March 23, 2004, 3:59 am
I tried reading the first book ages ago, got bored and gave up. i should find it and give it another go.

gi.joe
March 23, 2004, 6:03 am
i loved it.. was one of the best books ive ever read..

another good read:

The Life of Pi

Dragon88
March 23, 2004, 8:21 pm
never heard of it. Any second opinions?

Duke33
March 27, 2004, 12:20 am
Haha. Good one, good one. Actually, I haven't read any of his work for a while--reading other things. But when I did read some a year ago I remember enjoying them quite a lot. Beats me.

Hitman: Brilliant! You like Incubus and you like 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'. You'll go far. Well, perhaps not. But you'll be cool ;)

Hitman
March 27, 2004, 12:26 am
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm in that sentence direct to me?..

Duke33
March 27, 2004, 12:49 am
Perhaps. Perhaps not. But Incubus is a cool band, so I'll forgive you your failings. I don't really know why I said that, or what it means, but it makes me chuckle so I'll keep it.

Funny, you know, I was expecting some Harry Potter fans...well, maybe not. Seriously, though, what are you fellows' opinions on the matter? Personally, I think they aren't so bad, though not a favorite, and they're getting better as they go along. Better meaning less kiddy and more dark. I'm expecting some insults for even bringing this up [perhaps even a repeat of the marvelous 'It's for the simple people'], but oh well.

?
March 27, 2004, 12:50 am
Jim Davis pwns

Hitman
March 27, 2004, 1:25 am
I think Harry Potter is very good. I've read all of them and you're right, they do get better as they go along. Shame about the films though, they're a [:-censored]; mainly due to the fact that the guy who plays Harry Potter can't act. Shame...

gi.joe
March 28, 2004, 12:05 am
hmmm Harry Potter... well to tell you the truth, i have actually read a few of the books( 4?)
although i would NEVER admit it to any one in person cus well... it just seems to envisage... lameness.. maybe its the fact that the books were aimed at a target audience of children, yet still managed to capture the likes of older individuals with its literary brilliance.. the movies ate ass... i watched 5 mins of it on DVD, then promptly returned it to the store claiming that it was a defective copy, enabling me to get a replacement...quite a let down in my opinion.. id rate the Later books a 6/10.. considering the taboo surrounding them its relatively good.

Dragon88
March 28, 2004, 3:18 am
wow... we are way off topic...

Duke33
March 29, 2004, 5:12 am
'We' not being the correct term, for reasons I'll leave up to you to deduce. And besides, who cares? I'm enjoying learning about what others read, so screw it.

Hitman: Thank you for agreeing. I think the films furfill their purpose - to earn money and entertain little kids. They don't do much else, I'm afraid. They're not horrible, but none of the kids can act all that well. Perhaps as the actors get older they'll get better? We'll see.

gi.joe: I know what you mean. Hell, most people do. There's 'adult' versions of the book, with plain covers, so adults can read Harry Potter without their peers teasing them about reading 'kiddy' books. Anyways, don't worry about it, though I don't think you are. If you enjoy a book, read it. Simple.