( search forums )
Instant ping kick? (was: Lag problem)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Server Help
RobyRob
March 26, 2004, 12:44 pm
Is there some way that my server bans a player with high ping immediately and not after a while?
It happens to me, that a player that joins my server lags it. Other players say "too much lag for me, bye" and the laggy player is banned by the server too late. In the end, server is empty just beacuse of ONE person with high ping.[:(]

Drama
March 26, 2004, 1:41 pm
Accuatly, one person cant lag the whole server, it is servers fault if all players have lag

If one player lags, he just warps a bit

Michal Marcinkowski
March 26, 2004, 2:11 pm
Probably the server gets too much bandwidth when too many players join and can't handle it.
What connection do you have? Try changing the bandwidth settings in soldat.ini (or soldat setup - modem/dsl/t1 ...)

RobyRob
March 26, 2004, 5:11 pm
Thanks for explanation. I guess it is my server's fault. What happens is that framerate drops. Just like when many people fire with minigun.

I have got ADSL (128 KB/s download and 32KB/s upload, from which Soldat always gets around 100/20 KB/s). My server never hosted more than 12 players. My CPU is Pentium III 866Mhz. My Soldat bandwidth setting is DSL. I run dedicated server on WinXP. What is the maximum number of players a computer like that can host?

Yes, some players warp too. And other players don't like that. But the server kicks them after a couple of minutes, which is late. Can I shorten this time somehow? Or is there some command, that enables me to kick a player that has highest ping manually (like /pingkick or something similar)?

One more question: what does "ShowRealLag=1" in Soldat.ini do?

And by the way: great game Michal! Respect!

Hova
March 26, 2004, 6:44 pm
Do you really live in Slovenia? In that case, I don't believe that connection speed is sufficient to hold 12 players. Maybe 6 or 8.