( search forums )
Soldat Rules! (especially in 2vs5)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Fans - Fan Art and Movies
eesahe
March 28, 2004, 10:58 am
Here is my Soldat movie. Yeah, the first one was crap, this time I really worked for it alot.

Download (29.3 MB)

Yes, it's quite big but I think it might be worth to download.

Comments please!

Ho Chi Minh
March 28, 2004, 11:24 am
is it just a 5 hour long demo, or would it actually be interesting to watch?
i dont want to download a demo.

The Noid
March 28, 2004, 11:31 am
I think that it is way to big for me to download, being that I have a 56k
connection and all.

eesahe
March 28, 2004, 11:46 am
It's just 3:30 minutes long. It's not a .sdm-file, it's an avi file, which is better for making movies because it can be edited, you can add music and so on.

Well, I made a low quality version if you can't download the bigger version. If you have a broadband connection I still highly recommend to download the bigger one.

In the movie, I introduce a "new game mode". You have to be pretty skillfull and have a good friend also, get a small map (ctf_kampf, ctf_death) + 5 players to the other side. Even if you lose, it's usually very fun to play, you get dozens of kills :P

Low quality version

Hitman
March 28, 2004, 5:12 pm
I really like it. I love the way you combined calm and catchy music with Soldat, whereas one would usually associate heavy music with Soldat, this goes very well. The music also, somehow, slows the whole thing down and allows you appreciate the game. However, it does tend to get a bit boring after a while, and a bit repetitive. If you would have had some clips with a bit more action, style and some map changes, cut to the beat of the music it would be amazing. However, I still like it. Good job.

..Also, it?s a shame about the quality, I don?t see why you didn?t put Fraps on high quality seeing as you already recorded the whole thing on a demo, so it?s not like you have to leave fraps running the whole time which wastes disk space.

pongo
March 29, 2004, 1:47 pm
what mode you use?

sativa
March 29, 2004, 6:28 pm
really nice movie ;)

Tintin
March 30, 2004, 10:25 am
I like it, the music is catchy, what are the names of both songs?

b00stA
March 30, 2004, 10:59 am
quote:Originally posted by Tintin
I like it, the music is catchy, what are the names of both songs?

I don't know about the first one, but I'm sure the second one is called "Porcelain" by Moby.

btw, nice movie :)
but as Hitman said, it gets a bit boring and the quality could be better with the same file size.

Deleted User
March 30, 2004, 1:44 pm
Cool movie... you're playin' good!

eesahe
March 30, 2004, 5:33 pm
Thanks ;)

Well, I played with the quality settings a lot. I found out that Adobe Premiere renders DivX very badly. So I rendered to very high quality DivX with Adobe Premiere, and then to medium quality DivX with VirtualDub. I don't know how should I have done it: maybe first rendering it to DV?

Btw, if you come out with a good idea for a soldat movie, feel free to pm me ;)

b00stA
March 30, 2004, 6:40 pm
quote:Originally posted by eesahe
Well, I played with the quality settings a lot. I found out that Adobe Premiere renders DivX very badly. So I rendered to very high quality DivX with Adobe Premiere, and then to medium quality DivX with VirtualDub. I don't know how should I have done it: maybe first rendering it to DV?
First of all, your movie has the wrong resolution: 720*480, but Soldat uses 640*480
The audio codec is right :)
I dunno where exactly the quality got so bad.. did you record in "half-size" mode with Fraps?
Maybe you chose "Fastest" in the performance tab for the DivX codec?
Your video data rate is 143kb/s and.. for example the Superman vid has 100kb/s but it has better quality.

When you export from Adobe Premiere, export it as an uncompressed file, not DivX. then use VirtualDub for MP3+DivX :)

eesahe
March 30, 2004, 7:28 pm
Lol, I couldn't export it uncompressed simply becouse I ran out of disk space x)

I'm using fraps 1.9.4, and there isn't even a "half-size"-option, I think?
The performance tab was set to the best quality.

Hitman
March 30, 2004, 9:48 pm
Hmm, well you should get the new version and redo it.

I'm working on a new Movie but I can't get a feature (I don't know if it exists) in Premier to work, if I could do it I could make the coolest Movie!

Oh yeah, btw b00stA I got the thing to work. I figured it out, but thanks anyway [:)]

eesahe
April 1, 2004, 6:33 am
The first song is Moby - Honey, and the second one is Moby - Porcelain.

Ss0ppA
April 4, 2004, 9:00 pm
aww i can only demo and then bmp2avi cause my dam computer doesnt run fraps with soldat!! i have only 60 fps and i have 2.4ghz and 512 ddr system!! whats wrong with it [V] PLEASE HELP

b00stA
April 4, 2004, 9:10 pm
quote:Originally posted by Ss0ppA
aww i can only demo and then bmp2avi cause my dam computer doesnt run fraps with soldat!! i have only 60 fps and i have 2.4ghz and 512 ddr system!! whats wrong with it [V] PLEASE HELP

It's normal that your frame rate drops when you record with Fraps, don't worry about it.
I have a PIII 450mhz and my fp/rate drops to.. what.. ~20fps when I record, but the videos end up fine.